PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances?

dshinnick
10-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I just got a Tivo HD. The picture quality of HD content is beautiful, but I fear that it won't really work well for me, as we anticipate motorhoming full time in a few years. I'm really hoping that Directv and Tivo will team up on an MPEG-4-compatible Directivo. Many of you really seem to have some good insights, so I thought I'd run it by you; what are the odds? What are the obstacles? It seems that Tivo would be willing; it may be Directv that proves to be the holdout.

Without such a box, I think that, once most/all HD content is MPEG-4, I'll either have to use a non-Tivo Directv DVR, or a cable-based Tivo which may not be that beneficial in a motorhome park.

Thoughts welcome!

dave

fjwagner
10-23-2007, 06:00 AM
does this active thread help you?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=341102

narrod
10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
The chances are slim to none and slim has left town.

dshinnick
10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, that link did help; thank you. I can see it as a possibility, but I won't factor it into my plans.

Cudahy
10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I think the chances are about 50-50. We'll probably know within a few months of Malone taking over Directv.

fasTLane
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I was lured over to DirectHD mainly because of Tivo. And if it comes down to it I will have to change providers as I cannot abide the bait and switch tactic.

And since HD picture quality has now been lessened it may come sooner than later.

bonscott87
10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I was lured over to DirectHD mainly because of Tivo. And if it comes down to it I will have to change providers as I cannot abide the bait and switch tactic.

And since HD picture quality has now been lessened it may come sooner than later.

What bait and switch? You made a choice and purchased a receiver. These things do become obsolete over time you know. ;) When my locals first went up on 119 I wasn't upset because I had to replace all my receivers. But hey, that's just me.

Besides, this change has been well known for over 3 years now. It is the main reason I never bought an HR10-250 in the first place...I wasn't going to pay $1000 or $800 when first released and when the price started coming down I knew it wasn't going to be able to receive any new channels 2 years down the road so I waited. Yea, I didn't get to record HD in the meantime but that was my choice. You made the choice to be able to record in HD during that time despite it having a limited lifespan.

Nothing wrong with that choice and nothing wrong with going to cable, but don't call it a "bait and switch".

fasTLane
10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Bait and switch plain and simple. Think about it.

Tonedeaf
10-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Why not post why you think it was "Bait and Switch".

bonscott87
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Yea, I'd love to hear it. Maybe you'll change some minds.

milominderbinder
10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
TiVo and DIRECTV have a contract in place through 2010:

TiVo Contract/Patent Licenses Extended Through 2010 (http://seekingalpha.com/article/9028-directv-can-t-kick-the-tivo-habit-dtv-tivo)
TiVo (TIVO) announced yesterday that they have extended their agreement with DirecTV Group (DTV) for three years. In addition to this, both parties have agreed to not assert patent rights against each other. The previous agreement was due to expire in 2007.

Through the end of 2010, DIRECTV has licensed all of TiVo's patents. This license covers all development through 2010 so that DIRECTV can write their own software.

Maybe in 2011, DIRECTV will throw out their work and sign a contract with TiVo to have TiVo do their programming again.

All we know for sure is the past. TiVo always announces contracts like that as soon as the ink dries. Also, when TiVo announces partnerships with DIRECTV or Comcast, etc. it has always been at least 2 1/2 years until the first field trials. TiVo has never secretly worked on a contract and announced it only once it was done.

DIRECTV CEO Chase Carey was at the helm when the current TiVo direction was set. His contract was just extended 3 years.

So maybe in 2 1/2 years. Maybe in 2013. Maybe never. Maybe TiVo has been working on it in a top secret facility in Kamchatka all along. :)

Time will tell.

- Craig

RS4
10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
... Maybe TiVo has been working on it in a top secret facility in Kamchatka all along. :)

Time will tell.

- Craig

Hey, how did you find out about that? :D

JohnB1000
10-25-2007, 05:06 PM

I've given this a lot of thought and I can't figure it out. No bait and switch in sight as far as I can tell.

Citivas
10-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I suspect it was technically a bait and switch for some people, keeping in mind a vast majority of users don't frequent these forums or read any other insider sources and therefore only have what DirecTV sends them ot what the CSR's tell them to go off of.

I recall when I got the 10-250, because I was aware of the plans for new HD channels in the future and was vaguely aware from reading it here or something equivilent that it likely would not work with the 10-250 when they eventually showed up. Nonetheless, I asked two separate CSR's who assisted with the box and install setup whether the new channels would work with the 10-250 when they came, as I had heard that they wouldn't. Both told me, confidently, that "I had heard wrong" and "not to trust what you read on the Internet" and that, yes, unequivically, the "all the new HD channels" would be watchable and recordable from the 10-250. One of them said it would happen automatically and the other said they weren't sure but thought they would be doing it via a software upgrade to the box. This was in 2005, and they also said the first of the new channels would roll out within the year...

I am not claiming I fully believed them (I strongly suspected they were wrong, given the history of CSR's), but again, think about it from the average users who only has the CSR to rely on. And if they are not a power user, they may not have enough experience to know that the CSR's are totally unreliable. So I was 0-2 with the CSR's having bad info about the future of HD and the 10-250. What are the odds they were the only two giving out this false info? Do I feel personally baited-and-switched? No. But do I believe some could have been based on bad info like this? Absolutely. And D* has only themselves to blame. They have had a notoriously bad CSR program for years that they know full well spreads misinformation at an astronomical rate. And I have seen no evidence that they are working to fix it.

narrod
10-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Clearly you don't understand the meaning of the term. You bought a product and used it. You were not offered one product and given another. No company commits that their offerings will never change. That would be stupid.

TonyD79
10-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Really? Odd that the new HD channels are artifact free and some of them are spectacular. Also, D* has improved one of the older channels (HD Theater).