PDA

View Full Version : Does Amazon Unbox work with Mac computers?

Old Number 8
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
This is my first post. Sorry if this has been covered already.

I just bought the new Series 3 TiVo and everything is great. Then I decided to get the Amazon Unbox service to download movies, and Amazon is telling me that the service doesn't work with my Mac computer. Is this right?

Thanks for the help.

GoHokies!
07-19-2007, 08:34 PM
As far as I know, yes.

If anyone knows different, I'd love to know.

pkscout
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
You can't watch Unbox movies on your Mac, but you can browse the movies and set them up to download to your S3. I've done it a number of times with no problem.

GoHokies!
07-19-2007, 09:23 PM
You can't watch Unbox movies on your Mac, but you can browse the movies and set them up to download to your S3. I've done it a number of times with no problem.Yeah, that's what I was talking about - I wanted to watch a movie in my hotel when I was away on business, but would only have my laptop with me.

So, I bought a slingbox, but it would still be nice to just use the laptop and download something from time to time.

mikebridge
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
This is my first post. Sorry if this has been covered already.

I just bought the new Series 3 TiVo and everything is great. Then I decided to get the Amazon Unbox service to download movies, and Amazon is telling me that the service doesn't work with my Mac computer. Is this right?

Thanks for the help.

you can browse and buy the movies/tv shows for your S3 tivo, on the tivo itself.

Old Number 8
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Indeed, it works. I can use my Mac to go to Amazon and then download movies to the TiVo S3 itself. But it does NOT work to actually see the movies on the Mac.

Thanks again.

Jim

ZeoTiVo
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Just like TiVo before it, I assume Apple is not excited about someone else being able to download movies and play them on Apple products.

I am sure UNBOX is on its own as far as getting some DRM to work on the Apple platform.

trainwrecka
07-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I am a Mac guy as well and missed out on Unbox for a few months. Now that the downloads go directly to your Tivo and bypass the computer it is all good!

MickeS
07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I am a Mac guy as well and missed out on Unbox for a few months. Now that the downloads go directly to your Tivo and bypass the computer it is all good!
They've always gone directly to the TiVo, haven't they?

dylanemcgregor
07-21-2007, 07:37 PM
They've always gone directly to the TiVo, haven't they?

The History of Unbox as I know it so far:

1) Unbox was live for a few months where you could download and view only from a PC.
2) Then you could order from any computer and download directly to a TiVo.
3) Then a few days later a couple of people here created cool HME apps that allowed you to order directly from the TiVO, but you had to have an application running on your PC (not sure if there was a Mac or Linux version for these apps), which meant your PC had to be running.
4) TiVo came out with an interface that allows you to order directly from the TiVo, no computer needed.

Dylan

dig_duggler
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Just like TiVo before it, I assume Apple is not excited about someone else being able to download movies and play them on Apple products.

I am sure UNBOX is on its own as far as getting some DRM to work on the Apple platform.

Actually, Tivo has always been lacking on OS X support. They were going to support aac (non drm) but abandoned it, and the desktop software (and tivo 2 go) have always been behind the pc dev. Remember TTG for the Mac that was demoed a few years ago? Never showed up. Not sure of the reason , but I have serious doubts it has anything to do with iTMS DRM. Quite possibly smaller market share, etc. Judging by other software progress, I'd say they don't have the largest dev team.

You could always use boot camp/parallels (if you have a copy of Windows) to get around the issue.

Arcady
07-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Um, I have TiVoToGo on my Mac. It works great (with my Series2) and allows me to transfer shows to/from the TiVo. (I wish it would work with my Series3.)

I can order unbox videos from my Mac, and they will show up on my TiVo of choice (Series2 or Series3) but Amazon has not provided playback support on the Mac. I blame Amazon for that, not TiVo.

I can also watch my TiVo's content on any computer (Mac or PC) using my Slingbox.

I wish there was a way to play iTunes DRM content (audio or video) on a TiVo.

dig_duggler
07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Um, I have TiVoToGo on my Mac. It works great (with my Series2) and allows me to transfer shows to/from the TiVo. (I wish it would work with my Series3.)

Well don't I have egg on my face. It is finally out and I had no idea.

gbrown
07-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I've actually sidestepped the issue by running Parallels Desktop 3 on my Mac for doing other things (e.g. Windows software development). I'd bet that Bootcamp would work just as well. So, in fact, I am running Windows XP. Once there, I downloaded the Unbox Video 2 and it works just fine.

ZeoTiVo
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Amazon has not provided playback support on the Mac. I blame Amazon for that, not TiVo. I blame Apple
I wish there was a way to play iTunes DRM content (audio or video) on a TiVo. this one is clearly in Apple's court

wmcbrine
07-23-2007, 11:04 AM
3) Then a few days later a couple of people here created cool HME apps that allowed you to order directly from the TiVO, but you had to have an application running on your PC (not sure if there was a Mac or Linux version for these apps), which meant your PC had to be running.HME apps are Java, so in principle, they can run on any platform. In practice, I have Linux, Mac and Windows boxen, and so far I can only get HME working on my Mac!

dig_duggler
07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Amazon has not provided playback support on the Mac. I blame Amazon for that, not TiVo.
I blame Apple

How do you figure that? Amazon has not implemented software for OS X (yet).

SMB-IL
07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I blame Apple, too.

Apple isn't going to let anybody do anything as long as AppleTV exists. All I wanted to do was to copy a few videos I purchased in iTunes to a DVD so I didn't have to sit in front of the Mac watching them -- you know, sort of like making a CD of music -- NO GO on that DVD, so I'm stuck in front of the Mac if I want to watch.

IMO, DRM sort of assumes that everyone is a pirate!

Arcady
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
You can't copy videos downloaded from Amazon to a DVD (on a Mac or PC) either, because of the DRM. I had to import an Unbox video through a hacked analog/FireWire interface in order to burn it to DVD. This is not Apple's fault. It was Amazon that sold me crippled content.

You can't blame non-support of Macs by Amazon on Apple. Apple didn't create the Unbox service. It is up to Amazon to develop a Mac player. If Slingbox can license Microsoft DRM technology to make a Mac Slingbox client, then Amazon can do the same for Unbox.

As for iTunes, you can blame Apple for that, but this thread is about Amazon Ubox.

ZeoTiVo
07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
You can't copy videos downloaded from Amazon to a DVD (on a Mac or PC) either, because of the DRM. I had to import an Unbox video through a hacked analog/FireWire interface in order to burn it to DVD. This is not Apple's fault. It was Amazon that sold me crippled content.

You can't blame non-support of Macs by Amazon on Apple. Apple didn't create the Unbox service. It is up to Amazon to develop a Mac player. If Slingbox can license Microsoft DRM technology to make a Mac Slingbox client, then Amazon can do the same for Unbox.

As for iTunes, you can blame Apple for that, but this thread is about Amazon Ubox.
actually it is the content providers that keep you from making a playable DVD from UNBOX. UNBOx does let you copy downloads to a DVD for backup but you still have to play them on thta PC.

as for my comment saying I blame Apple.
Apple has shown that they are not about creating hooks into their OS for other content parties to play with. There are some things there but it is just not as straightforward as the open standard Microsoft has provided for DRM.

That is fine as Apple has its business strategy and more power to them, at least they are pushing for better things for consumers as well inf the form of Non DRM songs and lower prices from the content providers. Still when you media stores not providing an Apple solution right oiff the bat it relates in part to lower markety share of Apple -though that reason is loosing steam and more so to the fact it is hard to do the DRMed hooks into media players on Apple.

thus I blame Apple, though not for ineptitude but a strong business plan to do things the Apple way on Apple hardware/software. More power to em.

Arcady
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
So you would blame Apple because Microsoft Office 2004 won't read the new documents produced by Office 2007 on a PC? You have to blame the software provider, not the OS maker.

The simple answer to the problem is that Amazon needs to make a Mac player. Apple can't do it.

And to call Microsoft's DRM an "open standard" is just plain ridiculous.

stor
07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
So you would blame Apple because Microsoft Office 2004 won't read the new documents produced by Office 2007 on a PC? You have to blame the software provider, not the OS maker.

The simple answer to the problem is that Amazon needs to make a Mac player. Apple can't do it.

And to call Microsoft's DRM an "open standard" is just plain ridiculous.

I think Unbox would LOVE to support the Mac, but the facts are:

DRM is something that the studios insist upon as a pre-condition for selling their digital content.
The quickest way to market (and satisfy the majority of the market, i.e. PCs) was to use MSFT DRM
MSFT DRM will not work on anything but Windows OS
Apple will NOT let anybody else use their DRM, so Unbox is out of luck trying to get to the Mac via that route
The only way to get to the Mac (and Linux) is if Unbox could create their own DRM, which is a fairly large endeavor, and for all we know they may be working on it now.

It is Apple's fault.

Arcady
07-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Microsoft is willing to license their DRM for use on the Mac. Amazon just has to pay.

Or they could make a new DRM for the Mac.

It is not Apple's fault that the MPAA is a bunch of jerks.