PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 expnasion with Hitachi Deskstar 1TB

drguppy
07-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Does anyone know if the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDS721010KLA330 is compatible with e-SATA expansion for Series 3?

I cannot see any difference form the Hitachi CinemaStar 1TB HCS721010KLA330
other than seek rate is slower at 14 ms compared to the Deskstar at 8.5 ms.

Dssturbo1
07-12-2007, 02:02 PM
yes should work fine.

SCSIRAID
07-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDS721010KLA330 is compatible with e-SATA expansion for Series 3?

I cannot see any difference form the Hitachi CinemaStar 1TB HCS721010KLA330
other than seek rate is slower at 14 ms compared to the Deskstar at 8.5 ms.

I suggest you hook it to a PC and use the Drive Feature Tool and turn on Automatic Acoustic Management using the recommended value. That way it will be nice and quiet.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

YupYup
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
After looking at the spec sheets, I'd bet that the CinemaStar is simply a detuned DeskStar, with Accoustic Management either permanently, or by default, set to the "silent" mode, as the numbers match perfectly, and the spec sheet for the CinemaStar uses the same "Silent" pre-fix on all the applicable specs on which that the DeskStar lists both normal and "silent" data.

jlib
07-19-2007, 07:50 PM
It has some differences (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/FA382AA29BE6C7D38625725700810FD8/$file/CinemaStar7K1000_010307_final.pdf): "Handles up to 10 SD/HD streams simultaneously... CinemaStar 7K1000’s advanced firmware improves data integrity and optimizes QoS to meet the deadlines in streaming applications. Together, the SMART command transport protocol and Hitachi Smoothstream™ technology minimize disruptions in stream delivery by adapting buffer management behavior and error recovery timing to match the characteristics of typical streaming applications." none of which are relevant to the S3 which will just see it as a regular SATA hard drive. All of its advanced functionality (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/FEF3B52BFE9A054586256E66005AA389/$file/WP_AV_25March.pdf) has to be built around (http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/C5E72C42AC421A9B86257257008122C8/$file/AVSM-010307f.pdf) by a system designer. So what you are saying is for all practical purposes true. It is a detuned DeskStar.

The above also applies to extra DVR functionality of the Seagate DB35 except that since there is no easy way to acoustically manage a regular Seagate drive the DB35 is desirable for its detuned state. For an S3 it is the more desirable of the Seagate drives.

mikebridge
07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
i've seen mixed reviews on the acoustics of the deskstar, is it quiet enough for S3 use in a reasonably quiet room, with acoustic management enabled?

HaloBox
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
i've seen mixed reviews on the acoustics of the deskstar, is it quiet enough for S3 use in a reasonably quiet room, with acoustic management enabled?

I have a 500GB deskstar connected to my S3 here in the den. I cannot hear it. My DLP fan is the only thing I can hear until I crank volume to normal.

I have the 1TB deskstar under my desk in an external eSATA enclosure. It's also nice and quiet. The Maxtor external USB drive I have is MUCH louder.

NOD
07-20-2007, 12:09 AM

I've had a 1TB deskstar in an Antec MX-1 for 2 months now, and it's whisper quiet. I can't hear a thing.

SCSIRAID
07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Whisper quiet in my S3 also.

jlib
07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Idle = 29 dB
Seek (default) = 32 dB
Silent Seek = 30 dB

So, even the unquieted DeskStar is not that bad on seeks. When in Silent Seek mode it has the typical seek loudness of the Seagate DB35-750 (30dB). Most of the reviews (http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.aa4eeddea324f5f0483bad24eac4f0a0/) mention its quietness.

nuttzy06
07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I've had a 1TB deskstar in an Antec MX-1 for 2 months now, and it's whisper quiet. I can't hear a thing.
Great, I'm looking to get a similar setup myself. Any GSODs or other problems?

Thanks!
-Nuttzy :cool:

EDIT: actually, saw you on another thread....

i have the exact same setup (1TB Hitachi in an MX-1), and I've had it attached for a little more than a month.

I've gotten 3 GSOD's in that period of time. Each time it took the s3 about 10 minutes to boot back up and work fine again.

I haven't tried ordering another set of cables yet, but I would be very appreciative if you would report your results after you try it w/ new cables (in part b/c I got another mx-1 for my other series 3, but haven't opened it up and slapped a drive in it yet).

...anything happen since (6/29)?

teddyk
07-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I have the mx1 with the deskstar 1tb. In sum, in works great so far, with a few minor glitches (see below).

(1) I had it on top of an entertainment center shelf that was over a hollow enclosure. Occassionally, particularly at the beginning, I would hear a noisse that sounded like someone tapping a desk with a pencil -- the eraser end. Solution -- Moved behind entertainment center and set on a soft foam board. No noise at all now.

(2) About four or five days after install, I got the dreaded Green Screen O Death (GSOD). The problem resolved itself very quickly (30 mins) and it has worked well ever since (apprx 2 months). I read somewhere around here that this happens on a new external disk when the tivo hits a bad sector or something like that. Anyway, it works fine.

(3) Marriage of Tivo and drive took a couple of tries for me. Although, I may well have screwed up the key sequence on the remote a couple of times.

Like I said, it works great, with minimal and minor glitches at the beginning. And it is incredible have this much space on the thing. I have almost 250 tivo suggestions all the time, a ton of HD movies from HBO and the like, a couple of college basketball games I have been hanging on to, and an entire season of a couple of shows (recorded when Bravo did an all day marathon of Top Chef).

Good luck.

NOD
07-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Great, I'm looking to get a similar setup myself. Any GSODs or other problems?

Thanks!
-Nuttzy :cool:

EDIT: actually, saw you on another thread....

...anything happen since (6/29)?

I had one other GSOD, which, like the others, fixed itself in about 10 minutes.

jes218
07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
So, will the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDS721010KLA330 (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005225&prodlist=pricegrabber) fit into the Antec Veris Media MX-1 (http://www.excaliberpc.com/Antec_Veris_Media_MX-1_Actively/MX-1/partinfo-id-575347.html)?

Thanks

In other words, do I have the right model numbers before I go ahead and order. And does anyone know if/where I can get the same results for less $$$?

malvarez
08-09-2007, 10:15 AM
I have an unexpanded 250GB Series 3 with a 500GB eSata drive attached. I am not 100% satisfied with the eSata reliability, so I hoped to transfer the 750GB of data to a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive and go back to a single drive system.

Has anyone had success doing this? I got the 1TB drive from ZipZoomFly, and the MFSLive tools seem to have problems recognizing the drive. I'm conversing with Spike to see if we can figure this out, but I'd like to know if this is breaking new ground or not.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has used these tools to expand their internal 250GB drive to 1TB, or is everyone using these drives as eSata drives?

Thanks

jlib
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I have an unexpanded 250GB Series 3 with a 500GB eSata drive attached. I am not 100% satisfied with the eSata reliability, so I hoped to transfer the 750GB of data to a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive and go back to a single drive system...You would need to divorce the external drive, lose those recordings, and then clone and expand the 250GB onto the new 1TB and start fresh from there. On a S3, there is no particular problem that anyone has reported with using the Hitachi 1TB as an internal drive.