PDA

View Full Version : what do the exclamation points mean on the yellow dots?

occraig
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
please only leave the answer. I spent the last 10 minutes looking for it on my dial modem and I dont have that much time for it. Please only leave me the answer. no insults which i know this question is stupid but being on vacation for the next 3 weeks and never seeing these explanation points i can not afford the local phone rates to find the answer. please help. what do the explanation points mean on tivo? I thought they ment that the show will be deleted the soonest but i see other shows that say they will be deleted sooner and do not have the exclamation points. Also i have 20 shows that are in the "deleted shows" section and they are still there. it seems that shows are being deleted first before the deleted shows.

thanks
craig

Arcady
07-08-2007, 11:53 PM
If you are trying to say "exclamation points" then that means that the show will soon be deleted to make room for more recordings.

GusMan
07-09-2007, 12:00 AM
It means that it is eligible to be deleted to make room for other programs. However, the unit will start deleting programs out of the Suggestions folder before it starts deleting other recorded programs.

mick66
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
If you are trying to say "exclamation points" then that means that the show will soon be deleted to make room for more recordings.

Not quite.
A recording with an exclamation point can stay on a tivo forever.

The answer.
The default save time is two days.
After one day, the yellow dot appears as a first warning.
If you change the keep until date, the yellow dot will appear on the day before the KU date.
After two days or after the changed KU date has arrived, the yellow dot gets the exclamation point. This means that the recording could be deleted to make room for more recordings. If you always have extra space, any recordings with an exclamation point will likely be there until you delete them yourself.

The exception.
If, for example, you only have a 40 hour Tivo, you'll get about 12 hours at best quality. If you record 10 hours at best quality today and schedule another 4 hours at best quality for tomorrow, the earliest recordings from today will be deleted "earlier than expected" to make room for the recordings scheduled for tomorrow.

JimSpence
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Nope, not quite right.
The yellow dot with exclamation point appears once the two day period has passed as stated.
But, if you change it to "Keep Until You Delete" the dot changes to a green dot.

timckelley
07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, the exclamation point means that the show is eligible for deletion, and it will delete sooner than the yellow dotted shows. But like it was said earlier, the actual delete could be day, month, or years down the road. It depends on how much free space you have. As long as your free space is greater than the space needed for new recordings, your exclamation dotted shows will never delete.

timckelley
07-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Here (http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=97163&perpage=20&highlight=ball&pagenumber=1) is an interesting thread that is devoted to the exclamation point question.

steve614
07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
IIRC,

1). Shows that are in recently deleted folder.
2). Shows recorded as suggestions.
3). Shows with the exclamation point inside the yellow dot.
4). Shows with the yellow dot.
5). From here on it's shows with earliest record date.

Jonathan_S
07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Possibly more to the point, if you add a new recording you won't be warned if it has to delete any expired (aka yellow dot + exclamation point) recordings to make room.

But you will be warned if it has to delete any non expired (yellow dot w/ no exclamation point or no dot) recordings to make room.

mick66
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Nope, not quite right.
The yellow dot with exclamation point appears once the two day period has passed as stated.
But, if you change it to "Keep Until You Delete" the dot changes to a green dot.

That's what the green dot is about. However, this thread and my answer are about the yellow dot with an exclamation mark. My answer is quite right.

MickeS
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Possibly more to the point, if you add a new recording you won't be warned if it has to delete any expired (aka yellow dot + exclamation point) recordings to make room.

But you will be warned if it has to delete any non expired (yellow dot w/ no exclamation point or no dot) recordings to make room.
Which is why a FSI is not needed. ;)

timckelley
07-10-2007, 01:23 PM
But even if there is room for a recording, and so no warnings are issued, if one of your season passes later decides it's time to record an ep, and it needs room, it'll delete a solid yellow dot with no warning (if there are no exclamations to go after, or suggestions, or RD entries). So yes, an FSI would indeed have value.