PDA

View Full Version : What is the best HDTV Antenna for the S3?

magus
06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Hello I recently bought a S3 and I'm wondering what the best Indoor HDTV antenna is. I'm just now learning about HDTV antennas so any help would be appreciated.

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong place.

Thanks you.

phox_mulder
06-30-2007, 06:08 PM
A good place to ask is your local HD reception section over at avsforum.com.

There'll be many folks from your same area who know where the transmitters are, and have gone through the antenna roulette until they found one that worked.

phox

TydalForce
06-30-2007, 06:20 PM
You'll want to start by hitting up tvfool.com and antennaweb.org to get an idea how far you are from the transmitters, what direction they're in, and what kind of antenna you'd need.

Both sites are geared towards External antennas, but will give you an idea.

The first thing you need to know is there's no such thing as an "HD Antenna". Any antenna that picks up the analog stations will also pick up the digital ones.

Second, if you can, get an outside antenna. You'll get better reception.
If you can't, try to put your antenna in a window facing the towers.

And finally, expect to maybe have to try a few antennas and see how they do.

Me, I've got a DB2: http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB2_Indoor_antenna.html Which works very well. Others praise the Silver Sensor: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=ZHDTV1 which for me was good but not as good as the DB2.

Again, *any* antenna can work as long as it's designed to pick up the right frequencies (VHF vs. UHF) so if you've got an old pair of rabbit-ears-plus-loop from 1973 sitting in the basement, try it. You might be surprised.

bidger
06-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Second, if you can, get an outside antenna. You'll get better reception.
If you can't, try to put your antenna in a window facing the towers.

I tried to pick up the handful of ATSC stations in my area with an indoor antenna, but came up empty. Finally threw down for the outdoor antenna because I don't want to miss out on the NBC Sunday Night NFL games in HD another Season.

I wish I was in an area where a powered indoor antenna was the solution, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

c-surfer
06-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I found that the cheesy HDTV antenna included free with the ATI HDTV Wonder placed next to a window and properly aimed with a compass worked better than the $120 Antennas Direct DB8 I tried placing in my attic. The attic location probably didn't work because of the clay tile roof, stucco walls and metal duct work.

magus
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
tvfool says all the stations in my area are in the green category.

"These are quite strong and you will probably get reasonable coverage with an indoor (set-top) antenna, although you may need to be on the side of the house facing the transmitters."

I think that sounds good =].

Runch Machine
06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Either the Terk HDTVi or the Silver sensor should work for you. Don't buy any other Terk antenna except for the HDTVi or a. The others are junk.

jlib
06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Some more things to think about: Are all your digital stations UHF?. Many of the cheapo indoor antennas are UHF only. Also, are the signals coming from just one direction or many? Many of the indoor antennas are strongly directional. I don't have any recommendations.

magus
06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Most of the channels seem to be coming from the same direction. There are 13 UHF channels and the Azimuth for most are between 8.7 and 10.9 .

Jerry_K
07-01-2007, 12:07 AM
I went for outdoor antennae. One each pointed to the two antenna farms in my area, Washington DC and Baltimore. I combined them, and get fantastic reception. The good news is they cost only $25 bucks each from Rat Shack. If the "rabbit ears" don't do the job, do you have an attic? Many install better antennae in the attic to avoid putting up antennae on the roof.

jlib
07-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Most of the channels seem to be coming from the same direction. There are 13 UHF channels and the Azimuth for most are between 8.7 and 10.9 .OK, all green zone, all UHF, and all directional. Assuming there are no tall building in the way, you're pretty much golden for trying an indoor antenna as first alternative. The good news is that if it works it will look perfect. If it doesn't, well, it won't work at all.

norbertsf
07-01-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm using rabbit ears, and they work great!
BUT I'm less than 3/4 mile from the HD transmission tower.

Norbert

richsadams
07-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for the links and advice...all good stuff! :up:

George Webster
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Hello I recently bought a S3 and I'm wondering what the best Indoor HDTV antenna is. I'm just now learning about HDTV antennas so any help would be appreciated.

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong place.

Thanks you.

Here are some gain curves for various antenna'a. I chose the Winegard PR-8800. Works great. There are some indoor antennas listed too.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

EscapeVelocity
06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Here is a great link for indoor antenna information. If I do say so myself.

EV's Best Top Rated HDTV Indoor Antenna Review Test Round-Up Guide (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779)