PDA

View Full Version : Cable card help needed

mumpower
06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I have been trying to get this problem resolved for two weeks now and after getting no help from my local cable provider, Knology, and experiencing disappointing customer support with TiVo, I figured I would try you folks.

The long and short of it is that Knology is convinced that their cable cards, the Scientific Atlanta brand, will not work with TiVo Series 3. I have had an installer come out four times during this time frame with the end result being that I have had exactly one cable card installed...and it didn't get any digital or HD channels, simply the low band ones from 2-77. Knology is refusing to do anything else to address the matter, saying that the problem is on TiVo's end.

Now, Knology is a small company that is frankly bush league in every regard and the only reason we use them is because there is a contract in place that makes them the only game in town. DirecTV won't even work here (and yes, I know that a satellite solution would rule out TiVo, but I hate Knology so much it's become a reasonable option). So, I am fully willing to believe they are just in over their heads in terms of the next wave of technology. Frankly, even getting them to bring out cable cards to test is akin to asking for plutonium.

For their part, TiVo keeps *ahem* forgetting to call me back after promising that they would be able to train the Knology dispatcher to install functional cards in the boxes. They have also indicated that they can and will start a class action suit against Knology if need be in order to make sure the cable provider meets the expected terms of cable card licensing. This sounds swell save for the fact that two different folks in the Series 3 customer service area have made these promises then never followed through with them. As such, they are utterly useless to me. I'm not starting a class action suit on my own against Knology and I'm not strapping dynamite to my chest and heading over to their office in order to force them to do something they have thus far utterly refused to do. Well, I'm probably not going to do that, mainly because I don't know anywhere to buy a reliable dynamite device. Also, I saw what happened to Arzst in that episode of Lost, and it didn't look like fun.

So, I am caught in the middle of customer support hell, trying to figure out which one of them is in the wrong (both of them have behaved abominably thus far, of course) and which one is most likely to come up with a functional solution. Meanwhile, I've got an $800 paperweight that gets less channels than my Series 2 units do when hooked up to the same television.

This brings me to you folks. I am on a fact finding mission here. I know from casually visiting these boards over the past year that sometimes cable card misadventures occur. Is Knology right that some cards, specifically the Scientific Atlanta ones, will not work? TiVo is saying that there are only two brands of cable cards and both work, but if this is true, Knology sure doesn't have a clue how to make it happen. Also, is TiVo right that Knology is legally required to provide functional cable cards to me, the customer? That seems likely, but I have no idea how to proceed in forcing them to behave properly on the matter. If you have had a situation similar to this or have discussed such a scenario with someone who has, what was the problem solving technique utilized to facilitate the process?

Thanks in advance. I'm a day or two away from just returning the TiVo, but that feels like it would be letting Knology's incompetence win out.

bicker
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Is Knowlogy large enough to qualify for the requirement?

MsRoboto
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Search for Knology it looks like there are people that have been successful with them. So they must be doing it I just don't know about your location.

ScratchFury
06-29-2007, 12:28 PM
What do the CableCARD screens say? Does it say "CP Auth Received" or "Waiting for CP Auth"? What is the EID for each card when you are on a digital channel that you can't receive?

mumpower
06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
What do the CableCARD screens say? Does it say "CP Auth Received" or "Waiting for CP Auth"? What is the EID for each card when you are on a digital channel that you can't receive?

Yeah, about that, the third time an installer showed up, he took back the card.

The funny part of this (and I have to laugh because it's all that's keeping me sane) is that they have made four appearances and delivered only one card...which they promptly took back.

Are these things more expensive than the cable boxes for cable companies or what? Why is Knology so protective of them? Asking for one is not unlike asking for their first-born.

dbenrosen
06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
SA Cablecards can and do work with the S3. The issue lies entirely with Knology. They are not authorizing the cards correctly which is why you are essentially getting an analog package despite the presence of the Cablecards. Depending on the cable co., you could have to have the cards paired correctly in the cable co system (at their offices). If they are not, you usually get just the analog stations. This is the behavior I see when I lose authorization on a cable card.

In that respect, now that you do not have the Cablecard(s), if you select Cable without cablecards as your input do you still get ch. 2-77?

The comment above about Knology being large enough to meet the requirement refers to the fact that smaller cable operators may not be required to provide Cablecards. This is more geared for smaller, rural operators. But if Knology is only in select towns or sections of a town, they may be exempt from the requirement.

ScratchFury
06-29-2007, 03:42 PM
You could always trick them and say you have 2 TVs that need CableCARDs. When the tech comes out you tell him, "I said '2 for Tivos' not '2 TVs,' but since you're here..."

bicker
06-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Be careful. Around here that would garner you an additional additional outlet charge.

mumpower
07-01-2007, 09:35 PM
SA Cablecards can and do work with the S3. The issue lies entirely with Knology. They are not authorizing the cards correctly which is why you are essentially getting an analog package despite the presence of the Cablecards. Depending on the cable co., you could have to have the cards paired correctly in the cable co system (at their offices). If they are not, you usually get just the analog stations. This is the behavior I see when I lose authorization on a cable card.

Just so we're clear, in this example, there is pretty much nothing we can do on our end to get them working, right? The incompetence of the cable installers screws us?

In that respect, now that you do not have the Cablecard(s), if you select Cable without cablecards as your input do you still get ch. 2-77?

We do. The TiVo picks up channels 2-77, but it's got single tuner functionality only (which is not unexpected...just trying to give you as much information as possible).

The comment above about Knology being large enough to meet the requirement refers to the fact that smaller cable operators may not be required to provide Cablecards. This is more geared for smaller, rural operators. But if Knology is only in select towns or sections of a town, they may be exempt from the requirement.

They're a southern cable company that has installations in the following locations:

* Huntsville, Alabama
* Lanett, Alabama
* Montgomery, Alabama
* Valley, Alabama
* Augusta, Georgia
* Columbus, Georgia
* West Point, Georgia
* Panama City, Florida
* Pinellas County, Florida
* Charleston, South Carolina
* Knoxville, Tennessee

In Knoxville, they were specifically brought in as competition for Comcast (and Charter in some outlying areas). To date, they are waaaaay behind in their predicted penetration for the area and the local government recently pressured them to start making in-roads to catch up on their lack of availability relative to the promises they made in getting the contract initially. I can't help but wonder if they're going broke and so they are trying to cut corners whenever possible.

windracer
07-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Another confirmation that SA cards do work, of course, in the S3.

Here's a good page of troubleshooting CableCARD information on TiVo's site:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=F8F40DC6-5FB6-4ED8-AC41-D8CD0D5C0824

Here's the CableCARD FAQ:
http://dynamic.tivo.com/series3hdDvr.faqs.asp

And the feedback form:
http://dynamic.tivo.com/series3hdDvr_cc.asp

Like everyone else has said, the problem is on Knology's end. If they are providing CableCARDs, they have to support them. The S3 is CableLabs certified, so it's not your box (unless it happens to have bad slots).

When I had my cards installed it took several visits/cards until we got two that were working (I'm a Brighthouse customer, not Knology, though they are available in my neighborhood). Persistence is your friend, annoying as it may be.

dbenrosen
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Just so we're clear, in this example, there is pretty much nothing we can do on our end to get them working, right? The incompetence of the cable installers screws us?

That is mostly correct. There is no change you can make without help from Knology to get it working. But you might be able to avoid a tech visit if you can get a competent person on the phone at Knology to set up your account/Canlecards correctly. The tech doesn't do anything at your end to provision the cards. It is all done at the cable company. He just reads them some numbers (hostid, etc.) that you could easily do.

We do. The TiVo picks up channels 2-77, but it's got single tuner functionality only (which is not unexpected...just trying to give you as much information as possible).

Which verifies that the cablecards and/or your account are not set up correctly. You are not getting any of the digital/encrypted stations.

Just to verify, do/did you have a STB from Knology in your house? Were/Are you subscribed to a digital package, and if so were you getting a lot of the channels on the STB? I assumed you did have all of this, but I just want to make sure. If you don't, you obviously wouldn't get any channels unless you subscribed to them.

mumpower
07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Just to verify, do/did you have a STB from Knology in your house? Were/Are you subscribed to a digital package, and if so were you getting a lot of the channels on the STB? I assumed you did have all of this, but I just want to make sure. If you don't, you obviously wouldn't get any channels unless you subscribed to them.

Yes, we had a cable box up until last week that received all digital programming including premium channels and HD content. Hooked up to the HD television, we were receiving HD Net in all its multi-colored splendor. Then, we started messing with cable cards and...

FDM
07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I've had the S3 running with two cablecards (SA) for soon coming up on a year now. I've got Knology in Huntsville with the complete HD package. When the tech intalled them, we both made sure I was getting all the channels and have had no problems since (I hope this doesn't come back to bite me now). Now the strange part. To this very day, both Cable Card screens show "Waiting for CP Auth". Go figure.

vstone
07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I would send a certified letter to their home office and local office, copy to Tivo, FCC and your City Council. Mention both their inability to show up with the correct # of cards and their inability to amke even one card work. I wouldn't expect much help from the FCC, but your city council may want to intervene. It eventually took me two letters distributed to the president and board of Time Warner cable, copy to city councils, senators, representatives in 3 states, major media, etc to get TWC to fix a clear QAM tuner issue. And its at a vacation home so I haven't been able to verify that they actually fixed it.