PDA

View Full Version : Audio Feedback when watching TV or Recording!

80sQueen
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Help, I have a new Series 2 DT unit that is set up via TiVo brand wireless to my broadband internet. It is hooked directly into my basic cable without any Cable boxes.

I keep getting audio feedback when watching TV, mostly recorded programs. I have checked my cables, and there is not High Powered items anywhere near the TV or the TiVo box.

I do not have any problems with any of my Series 2 ST boxes running in other areas in the house. However, this is the only box that is set to communiate with my internet. Is that what could be causing this? Help! :eek:

JimSpence
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Please detail how you have everything connected.

80sQueen
06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, it is a pretty basic set-up. Cable comes out of the wall directly into the unit. The only thing is that it is set up to communicate via wireless adapter (TiVo Brand) with the computer in the other bedroom (which is on opposite end of house).

It is not hooked up to a VCR, surround sound, or anything outside of a normal TV set.

Does that help?

litzdog911
06-26-2007, 05:24 PM
How is the Tivo connected to your TV .... coax cable, composite video, SVideo?

richsadams
06-27-2007, 03:35 AM
How is the Tivo connected to your TV .... coax cable, composite video, SVideo? That's the key...how is it connected to your TV? It sounds like one or more connections are incorrect is all.

Also, can you clarify "audio feedback"?

And no, your wireless network connection would have nothing to do with any audio issues. :)

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
The sound I hear is like a scratchy sound coming from the TV. I will pause what I'm watching because it can be loud, and the sound occurs for a few seconds and then quits. I noticed it is more often when I watch recorded items....

This TV has a DVD player built into it, and it does not occur when watching a DVD.

Tivo is connected to my TV via video composite (red, white, yellow things). My TV only has 1 video hook-up on it (red, white, yellow things). The basic cable is going directly into the TiVo from the wall.

Sorry, I love my gadgets, but I don't know the technical names of some things. ;)

I had this set up the same way when I had my Series 2 Single tuner hooked up to the same TV, and I didn't have problems.

Should I hook the box to my TV via the "Antenna In"?

JimSpence
06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Are you saying that the noise continues when you pause the TiVo?
That's the impression I got from this sentence
I will pause what I'm watching because it can be loud, and the sound occurs for a few seconds and then quits.
Can you describe what the audio feedback sounds like?
Is it a consistent hum? Or is there some modulation in it?

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
It's kinda like a scratching, buzzing that goes up and down and only lasts for a few seconds, but occurs often enough to be bothersome. It's not white noise, but rather kinda metallic sounding if there's such a thing.

It's sounds just like my radio in the car when I use my FM Transmitter with my iPod. There's this noise what will come through the speakers at times when I play my iPod. I just chucked it up to signal interference.

Without a tape recorder, I really don't know how to describe the sound correctly.

richsadams
06-27-2007, 10:29 AM
The sound I hear is like a scratchy sound coming from the TV. I will pause what I'm watching because it can be loud, and the sound occurs for a few seconds and then quits. I noticed it is more often when I watch recorded items....

This TV has a DVD player built into it, and it does not occur when watching a DVD.

Tivo is connected to my TV via video composite (red, white, yellow things). My TV only has 1 video hook-up on it (red, white, yellow things). The basic cable is going directly into the TiVo from the wall.

Sorry, I love my gadgets, but I don't know the technical names of some things. ;)

I had this set up the same way when I had my Series 2 Single tuner hooked up to the same TV, and I didn't have problems.

Should I hook the box to my TV via the "Antenna In"? Oh…that sounds a bit different. What you’re hearing is not actually “feedback” but is probably broadcast radio interference. This can be caused by strong signals from a nearby CB, amateur or two-way radio station, etc. The interference may be introduced to the television receiver via the mains lead (power cord), antenna cable, the receiver’s internal wiring or components or as you’ve suggested by the TiVo USB antenna used to connect it to your home network/computer. (Which I know is going back on what I mentioned earlier).

The simple question would be…does the problem go away if you disconnect the TiVo USB antenna? If the interference stops hook it back up (and reboot TiVo by unplugging it for ten seconds and plugging it back in to restore the connection) but try relocating the USB antenna away from your TV, TiVo, power cords, etc. in as many directions as you can to see if things improve. It's not likely that this is the culprit, but it is possible.

Your TiVo and television should also be plugged into a proper surge protector and not directly to the wall. This will not only protect your equipment from power surges and spikes but it can also isolate them from external interferences. Some surge protectors have a coax cable antenna feature as well. You could try using this option, but they can reduce the quality of the signal and should be avoided if possible...although in your case it might clear up the noise problem. A good power strip surge protector should only cost about $25 or so.

If you have a good surge protector in place and are still having interference problems there are a few things you can do to isolate your television system. Try these methods one at a time; watch a few programs to see if it continues and if it does go to the next one until the problem goes away.

• As you mentioned, instead of using the composite RCA cables (red/white/yellow) try connecting TiVo to your television with a good coax cable using the "Antenna in". Keep the cable as short as practical.

• Replace the coax cable from the wall to your TiVo with a high quality cable. Many coax cables have poor shielding. Most consumer electronic stores sell good quality cables. (This is a good idea anyway however you don't need "gold" connectors, etc., just a good quality cable.) Again, keep the cable length as short as practical.

• Disconnect TiVo from the television completely to determine if the problem is being introduced via TiVo itself. Connect your cable directly to your TV to see if the interference continues.

• If all else fails an appropriate in-line filter attached to the antenna cable at the input to the television or TiVo may cure the problem.

If none of these things work I would have your cable company pay a visit to see if they can zero in on the cause. They may be able to install a proper filter as well.

Hope that helps and let us know how you're doing. :)

pdhenry
06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Do you have a GSM cell phone by any chance? What you're describing sounds like it might be interference from a cell phone. GSMs (AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile, etc; not Verizon) are a bit notorious for this - Blackberries in particular, in my experience.

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Thank you! I will try that out as soon as I get home! =)

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Do you have a GSM cell phone by any chance? What you're describing sounds like it might be interference from a cell phone. GSMs (AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile, etc; not Verizon) are a bit notorious for this - Blackberries in particular, in my experience.

Well, actually, I do have a Blackberry with Cingular, and I tend to keep it with me in my room where this TiVo is.

I can check on that as well to see if that is the problem because I usually keep it on the counter next to the TV.

richsadams
06-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Do you have a GSM cell phone by any chance? What you're describing sounds like it might be interference from a cell phone. GSMs (AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile, etc; not Verizon) are a bit notorious for this - Blackberries in particular, in my experience. You're absolutely right :up: ...I hadn't thought about that. When we had Vodaphone (GSM) I could always tell when I was going to get a phone call because a brief noise would come on my computer speakers before the phone ever rang.

So 80sQueen, if you have a GSM cell phone nearby...move it or turn it off and see if that helps. ;)

Well, actually, I do have a Blackberry with Cingular, and I tend to keep it with me in my room where this TiVo is.

I can check on that as well to see if that is the problem because I usually keep it on the counter next to the TV. Ah-ha! That may be it! Hopefully that's the problem and you won't have to go through all of the other steps. Phew!

Let us know! :)

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
You guys are awesome! I will check it out as soon as I get home and let you know.

Many thanks!

richsadams
06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
You guys are awesome! I will check it out as soon as I get home and let you know.

Many thanks!No problem...we do what we can. ;)

Hopefully you'll soon be able to watch Flock of Seagulls, Berlin, The Thompson Twins, Bananarama , Cyndi Lauper, .38 Special, ZZ Top and much, much more in peace! :D

80sQueen
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't forget Peter Gebriel, Duran Duran, Talking Heads, and of course watching Sixteen Candles while playing with my Transformers! =)

richsadams
06-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Don't forget Peter Gebriel, Duran Duran, Talking Heads, and of course watching Sixteen Candles while playing with my Transformers! =) Or Miami Vice! :D

Sooooo...how's it going? Is TiVo behaving?

80sQueen
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, I didn't get a change to test it out completely, as I was out last night.

However, this morning I watched a recording of 90210 (I know it's 90's but it's close!) without my Blackberry nearby and so far so good with no annoying noise! =) I'm going to play around with it tonight and see if the proof is in the pudding.

You are a genius!

Thanks,
Dolores

richsadams
06-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, I didn't get a change to test it out completely, as I was out last night.

However, this morning I watched a recording of 90210 (I know it's 90's but it's close!) without my Blackberry nearby and so far so good with no annoying noise! =) I'm going to play around with it tonight and see if the proof is in the pudding.

You are a genius!

Thanks,
DoloresExxxxcelllllent (as said by Charles Burns of Simpsons fame) our plan is working. We can thank PDHenry for that one! :up: