PDA

View Full Version : directv and tivo

catlvr4
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
we are soooo sick of comcast that we want to switch to satellite tv. i would like to know if tivo will work w/ directv?? i have two series 2 tivos and 3 tvs?
also, do i need a phone line w/ directv??
thanks
deb

JimSpence
06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes, regular DirecTV receivers will work with SA TiVos. I believe the D11 model is problematic with IR emitters.

Although DirecTV will tell you otherwise, the phone line isn't needed except to order PPV (which can be done online anyway.)

catlvr4
06-24-2007, 04:54 PM
thanks

Turtle
06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
SA Tivos receive their guide data through the daily phone call. So, no phone line
means no guide data.

The poster above me is probably referring to a DirecTV receiver with Tivo (integrated), these units receive their guide data through the satellite feed.

Turtle

JimSpence
06-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes I was referring to the DirecTV receiver because that was what was referenced in the OP. :)

With SA TiVos I assumed she knew about the guide data phone line requirement.

classicsat
06-25-2007, 10:40 AM
For Series 2s, they don't even needs a phone line, just some sort of internet conennction through a home network.

wolflord11
06-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Yes SA Tivos will work with Directv Receivers. As Jim has said the D11 SA Receiver does have roblems with the IR Blaster. Try getting the Newer D12 model which Directv is now shipping out.

The Directv Receivers do not need a phoneline. All information comes over the Sat.

Now the Series 2 Tivos do need some sort of connection to receive their data. They need either a Phone line, or a Broadband internet connection. Best way is a Broadband Connection, that way you also get all the Home Networking features. :D