PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 - go wireless or wired?

reese006
06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Long story short, house hit with electrical storm and TiVo modem appears to be dead. Anyway since it has a life time subscription on it I want to get it back up and running. I was looking at the 9thtee wireless adaptor card but wanted to know which wireless cards with an external antenna people have had success? I would like to keep my cover installed. Also not real sure how to identify a card that is Prism 2/2.5 based, help there would be appreciated as well.

Or would I be better off getting the TurboNET card and a ethernet bridge? If so the wall plug ethernet bridges are obviously more price appealing then the wireless ones, will these work?

supasta
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I would suggest a TurboNET card.

stevel
06-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Wireless on Series 1 is tricky as only a handful of old (and difficult to obtain) cards are available, and then you have to play games to get the antenna exposed, and then custom drivers are required. I agree that wired Ethernet is the way to go - you don't have to modify the software, just use ,#401 as the dialing prefix.

reese006
06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks! I have also been reading on wireless for the series 1's. From the sounds of it and from the suggestions it sounds like it may be easier to do the TurboNET card and then an ethernet bridge. I don't have an ethernet connection where the TiVo is and the phone system in our rental house is a loop system, so I will have to do either the wireless bridge or power plug bridge.

supasta
06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
The advantage of the TurboNET card is just that - you have the option of using a wireless bridge. I have used a powerline bridge with an S1 with a TurboNET card and it worked without a hitch.