PDA

View Full Version : Clear Picture Wooster/Massillon Ohio

pedxing
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm moving to Wooster, Ohio next week and wanted to share my experiences with the local cable provider here. I've got a Series 3 unit and will be subscribing to their basic service, since the digital stations don't interest me much. By the way, Clear Picture in Wooster and Massillon Cable TV in Massillon seem to be the same people...

So far, I've called to schedule my install. Right off the bat I was told that "we have our own DVR and we don't support TiVo". I explained (firmly) that it was simply a CableCard device like any other, but with two slots, and they should support it. She went and talked to her supervisor for a few minutes. Back on line, she apologized and said they would send two CableCards with the installer and that it should be no problem. She said she just hadn't heard of anyone on Clear Picture using a TiVo.

So we're over the first hurdle! I'll post more in this thread as time goes on. Is there anyone else in Wooster or Massillon using a Series 3 TiVo?

dm-mm
06-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Welcome to Wooster.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be of too much help for your situation. I work just outside of town, but where I live (25 miles away), cable service is Time-Warner out of New Philadelphia.

A couple of co-workers have TiVo but neither of them has CCs.

One observation I have is that to subscribe to just the basic (non-digital) channels, you shouldn't need the CableCARDs. Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong though.

DM

pedxing
07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Updating the posterity thread...

So Clear Picture claimed "there are no TiVos in use in our area" but agreed to support them. The installer (very nice guy) came and said he sees lots of older TiVos, but hadn't worked on a S3 himself yet. But he knows they are in use because his buddy has installed one...

He goes to install the first CableCard and it doesn't work. It won't get the channel data... He calls the office - they forgot to enable the card. They enable it and it still doesn't work. He calls the office - they put in the wrong card ID number! Third try is the charm though because it downloads the channel data and starts working. Switch to channel 608 for some pretty HiDef and we're rolling. Second card installed quick and easy, once the folks in the office entered the right numbers...

It's looking like I'm set now. I'll update if there are any problems in the future.

Ped Xing

Edited to add: By the way, the CableCard fee is $2 per card per month, so not free but not a ripoff...