PDA

View Full Version : Help: Upgrading from Series 2 DT to Series 3 HD!

MarkJC1018
06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
I purchased a TiVo Series 2 DT Unit a few months back to use with Comcast Digital Cable. Yesterday I switched my cable from Comcast to Verizon FiOS and as we all know, the TiVo Series 2 DT doesnít work well Verizon FiOS cable because channels 50 and above on Verizon are all ďdigital.Ē

I am sort of technologically inept when it comes to cable television and TiVo, so thatís why I am posting here for suggestions. From what Iíve read online, Iím assuming that Iíll have to ditch the Series 2 DT and upgrade to the Series 3. That way Iíll be able to record and watch 2 digital stations at the same time (instead of how it is currently, where my TiVo acts more like a VCR, and if I record channel 50 or above, I canít even change the station while doing so).

My questions are as follows:

1. Am I right in assuming that I have to upgrade to TiVo Series 3 in this situation? Will the Series 3 work if I do not have HDTV (I will have HDTV in September '07)?

2. Do I also have to install two cable cards, or a multi-stream cable card, into my TiVo Series 3 unit once I have it? If so, is this something I should set up with Verizon?

3. I purchased my TiVo Series 2 DT a few months back with a 3-year plan. Has anyone had experience with TiVo and trying to ďupgradeĒ from one box to another? Iím not sure what the situation entails since I already have a 3-year plan purchased but I want to upgrade to the Series 3.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. This forum is a wealth of information, thanks to you, and I anxiously await your responses!

--Mark

cwoody222
06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
My questions are as follows:

1. Am I right in assuming that I have to upgrade to TiVo Series 3 in this situation? Will the Series 3 work if I do not have HDTV (I will have HDTV in September '07)?

2. Do I also have to install two cable cards, or a multi-stream cable card, into my TiVo Series 3 unit once I have it? If so, is this something I should set up with Verizon?

3. I purchased my TiVo Series 2 DT a few months back with a 3-year plan. Has anyone had experience with TiVo and trying to ďupgradeĒ from one box to another? Iím not sure what the situation entails since I already have a 3-year plan purchased but I want to upgrade to the Series 3.

--Mark

1. a Series3 will work just fine without HD channels or an HDTV.

2. a Series3 currently will make a multi-stream card act like a single-stream one. So you're gonna need 2 cards, no matter if they're multi- or single- variety.

3. I don't think you can 'upgrade' like that. But I'm not sure.

classicsat
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
You can upgrade. You just purchase the TiVo for full price retail, and change the TSN on the account.

MarkJC1018
06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
You can upgrade. You just purchase the TiVo for full price retail, and change the TSN on the account.

What is TSN? So I'm assuming I should probably just eBay the Series 2 DT and purchase the Series 3 DT through TiVo.

AbMagFab
06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Your premise is wrong. I'll assume you're not an anti-Tivo troll spouting misinformation.

I have FIOS, and have 3 S2DT As well as 2 S3's. The S2's work just fine, like they always have, and nothing like a VCR.

No idea what your issues are really.

BruceShultes
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
TSN is Tivo Service Number.

I don't know about the Series 2 DT, but on the S3 you can find it by pressing Tivo->Messages & Settings->Account & System Information->System Information,

MarkJC1018
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Your premise is wrong. I'll assume you're not an anti-Tivo troll spouting misinformation.

I have FIOS, and have 3 S2DT As well as 2 S3's. The S2's work just fine, like they always have, and nothing like a VCR.

No idea what your issues are really.

Nope. I love TiVo and don't want to get rid of it. I set it up exactly like how I did earlier with Comcast when it worked fine. Whenever I'm recording a "digital" channel (channels 50+, which are basically the only ones I'll ever watch), when I go to change the channel a message comes up and says that I can either leave the channel the same and continue recording or change the channel and stop recording.

I have my "Analog" set up on "Line" and my TiVo set up on "Video 1." Whenever I'm recording a digital table on "Video 1" and then change the channel on "Line" to another digital channel, the TiVo records whatever I change the channel to.

Hence, I can only record one station at once and if I do change the channel it records whatever I change it to. As a result, I figured I'd have to updgrade to Series 3.