PDA

View Full Version : May take up to three hours?

BruceShultes
06-20-2007, 07:37 AM
This morning I was watching another video source on my HDTV when I noticed my S3 was booting.

I switched the tv over to the input assigned to the S3 and after it finished booting the screen displayed a warning message like this (A serious problem has been discovered with your S3. We are attempting to fix the problem. This may take up to 3 hours. Please do not power off or re-boot until this finishes.).

I am sure I don't have the exact message, but that was the gist of it.

After about 5 minutes the S3 re-booted again and everything came up fine again.

Anybody have any idea what this type of message is about?

Note: I just added an external drive via esata yesterday.

jon96cobra
06-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I had the same thing happen to me last night. I also have an external Drive on the ESata. I also noticed that some of the shows that I had are not able to be played.

GoHokies!
06-20-2007, 08:29 AM
That's the (in)famous green screen of death - if something in your file system gets corrupted, it's your Tivo's way of rebuilding things.

It may be an isolated occurrence, or connected to your esata install, but it may also be the first sign of a hard drive going bad (although this is less likely).

I hit a cycle once where it would green screen and reboot, then stay up for a few minutes and repeat. I just left it alone and it managed to sort itself out after a while, I haven't had any issues with it since.

BruceShultes
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
That's the (in)famous green screen of death - if something in your file system gets corrupted, it's your Tivo's way of rebuilding things.

That is what I suspected, that it was a file system rebuild, but it is nice to have confirmation.

Thank you

jon96cobra
06-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks I hope it fixes it self I just hope I don't loose to many recordings.

BruceShultes
06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
So far I have not noticed any problem with previously recorded shows.

alyssa
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I also got the GSOD the day after I installed my eSATA drive. I got a second one after a major lightning storm eventho the tivo was on a ups.

It seems as tho the combo of tivo & eSATA any power irregularities leads to a GSOD. But on the up side, I've got a huge hd & it's only rebooted twice in a month.

BruceShultes
06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
There were certainly a lot of thunderstorms in my area last night.

However, it is interesting that the S3 did not try to reboot itself until this morning.

AbMagFab
06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
GSOD + eSATA probably means a shaky cable. If it happens again, get a better eSATA cable.

And make sure everything, the S3 and eSATA drive, are on a UPS.