PDA

View Full Version : OFF TOPIC question for you QAM guys

gastrof
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
We'd had a nice 20" RCA set in the living room for a year or two, and it started going wonky for a minute at a time. (Power supply problem, for reasons I won't go into....involving a wrongly installed cable amp. :o )

Found an identical set but with a 26" screen, for the price of most 20" sets. Even worked with the same remote. Everything as it was.

Spin the clock forward nearly ten years. Yesterday, the set's been on for about five minutes, and then goes dead.

Despite desperate efforts to revive it, it remained silent.

Found a virtually identical 20" set....but with analog AND DIGITAL tuner (including QAM, according to RCA's website).

Price was even lower than before. Imagine that.

Store had them in stock. It's hooked up now, and quickly found the 70+ analog cable channels during channel scan. (Even works with the same remote...again. :p )

It's just finished scanning the digital channels for a second time. First time it took like 900 years, but it identified at least 4 dozen.

Problem?

When the scan was done, it locked in on 50-3 (with a blank screen), and while in digital mode it wouldn't move off that channel, despite having identified so many.

Now, after TWO additional scans, it's finding NOTHING on the digital side.

Why did it first take so long, find so many but not display them, and then on later attempts find NOTHING, not even any QAMs?

I have Comcast. Shouldn't there be at least SOME?

Tim N.
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
When you say "stuck on 50-3" are you changing the channel with "up/down" keys? Have you tried pressing 2-1? Do you have an ANT input for the OTA digital channels?

gastrof
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
When you say "stuck on 50-3" are you changing the channel with "up/down" keys? Have you tried pressing 2-1? Do you have an ANT input for the OTA digital channels?

This is a discussion of QAM channels, the type that you find "in the clear" on digital cable systems, which digital tuners with QAM can get even without a cable box. (Usually over-the-air channels that the cable company isn't allowed to scramble.)

The set has a QAM tuner, but it's getting NADA.

I tried changing channels off 50-3 both ways, by numerical keypad and by "up" and "down". No go on either. That's a moot point now, tho'. As said, the latter scan didn't even identify the 40/50 channels it had the first time.

AbMagFab
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
50-3 is an OTA channel.

QAM channels are usually three digits.

You're probably on the wrong input.

Austin_Martin
06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
when I did a channel scan before, and some qam channels showed up, they weren't "selected" in the channel list. I had to go into the channel list and select them before they'd show up in the guide.

Leo_N
06-19-2007, 12:15 PM
50-3 is an OTA channel.

I'm not sure about that, Charter in my area is using plenty of 2 digit numbers for digital cable channels. Just happened to be scanning through the straight cable input to my QAM ready set last night, and was going to start making a list of what channels are what. It did seem that most of the channels (maybe even all) that were XX-xx numbers were the digital simulcast of analog. Didn't notice any of the better channels in the 2 digit area.

Do need to get back to going through and making that list one of these days, I get HD channels from a couple more cities this way (Chicago and Madison, in addition to the Milwaukee I get through the cablecards in my S3s), and with that sometimes different sporting events in HD.

gastrof
06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
50-3 is an OTA channel.

The set isn't using A/V for cable.

It's using a cable without box right out of the wall.

It was with this feed that the TV identified all those digital channels the first time....

We sure don't have four dozen digital OTA channels around here.

The second and third attempt identified NO digital channels. :confused:

gastrof
06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
when I did a channel scan before, and some qam channels showed up, they weren't "selected" in the channel list. I had to go into the channel list and select them before they'd show up in the guide.

But this isn't a TiVo, thus the "Off Topic" in the thread title.

This is just a TV set that supposedly has both analog and digital tuners, including QAM on the digital side, (as mentioned above).

Leo_N
06-19-2007, 12:43 PM
The set isn't using A/V for cable.

It's using a cable without box right out of the wall.

It was with this feed that the TV identified all those digital channels the first time....

We sure don't have four dozen digital OTA channels around here.

The second and third attempt identified NO digital channels. :confused:

Is there perhaps some type of "master reset" you can do on the television and then scan again? What you are seeing does seem odd.

SugarBowl
06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Maybe if you told us where you lived, someone could chime in.

Around here, raleigh, NC, the QAM channel numbers are the same as the OTA channel numbers. 5.1, 11.1, 17.1, etc.

I had a sony TV that the digital tuner went bad in. It would scan for QAM and never find anything. But the analog stations all worked fine. If you can confirm that someone in your town is getting in the clear QAM, and you can't, then you should contact the TV manufacturer.

Mine was fixed under warranty. Some board needed to be replaced.

mattack
06-19-2007, 10:06 PM
50-3 is an OTA channel.

Maybe they 'usually' are, but in the SF Bay Area, they're of the ##-# variety.
e.g. with no cable cards, my Series 3 sees KTVU as 2-1, KPIX as 5-1, KNTV as 33-1, etc.. (A bunch of PBS subchannels and the various music channels are the only ones that go above -1)

HaloBox
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
But this isn't a TiVo, thus the "Off Topic" in the thread title.

This is just a TV set that supposedly has both analog and digital tuners, including QAM on the digital side, (as mentioned above).

I would suggest asking the question over on avsforum. Make sure to give your location. Someone will likely chime in and tell you what is possible in your area.