PDA

View Full Version : a surprisingly good outcome

mac23
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I've heard so many horror stories about setting up the S3 with cablecards, and they concerned me to the point where I was almost regretting my purchase.

However the cable guy left just a bit ago, and I'm now sitting here with a perfectly functioning (so far...) machine.

I was scared at first. They sent out a contractor. He looked at the box, and instantly said "We don't support that." I was well prepared, thanks to these forums, though. I responded. "Yes you do. It's an approved CableLabs Device. I have the instructions. Let's get it done." He shrugged and said, "Alright. Can I go have a cigarette first?"

Anyway, he tried to jam both cards in at once, but I stopped him, again, thanks to these forums.

I was a little scared when the 'updating firmware' screen popped up and seemed to take forever to clear. I was surprised though, that the contractor sat there on the floor staring at the screen and didn't seem to mind waiting. He seemed interested in the tivo and kept asking me questions about it.

The dispatch guy on the other end of the phone when he called to activate the card didn't seem to care that it was a tivo. He took the numbers and told us to go ahead and put in the second one. Again with a dramatically long pause at the firmware screen.

He had to put a couple of calls in before i picked up the scrambled channels and the HD Tier. At one point, one of the cards reverted to saying 'unable to display channels', and the dispatch guy told us to 'unplug the machine and plug it back in.' I didn't really feel comfortable doing that right in the middle of guided setup, so I made the contractor sit there with me while all that finished and he didn't seem to mind. He had a few more smokes. They tried to start telling me i might not get channels for 72 hours. I must have rolled my eyes, because he didn't make me sign anything, and said he'd call me in 30 minutes to see if it was working. Guided setup finished, everything is working, and the guy called me back to check on everything.

All in all, it was a decent experience. Much better than I was expecting after reading about the problems.

I'm in a SDV area, where the newest HD channels are switched. The only one that I'm concerned about is espn 2 but oh well. I get the big networks, espn, hbo, discovery, hdnet et.al., tnt, and some others. Everything else is great, and I really don't care about mtv2hd, golfhd, moxiehd or whatever that is. I probably won't get any new hd channels, and hope i don't lose what i have -- may actually keep my box -- but I'm probably going to move in a year so maybe my next locale won't be going SDV really quickly. Maybe they'll come up with a workaround someday...

The S3 experience is really terrific. I'd been using it for a few days with just the cable plugged into the back, and tuning the unscrambled HD channels in manually. Even having to do that, I think I'd still use the s3. that 6 second rewind was so great watching the usopen in hd yesterday.

sorry for the long and boring post. I just wanted to add a good experience to the stories of horror. And also say thanks to the posters who gave me the info and ammo to deal with the installation process.

bown
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
now you just need to add an external esata drive to expand your storage capacity and you'll be set!

GoHokies!
06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Way to go, great story!

Where are you located?