PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it

rmryan
06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
After a week of staring at the S3 in my Amazon shopping cart I couldn't take it anymore and I bought it! Incredibly quick call to Time Warner to get rid of Starz (which we don't watch) add the Hi-Def tier and get two cable cards. They actually tried to set me up for the very next business day. Of course I didn't have the Tivo yet so I had to put them off for a few days. She had absolutely nothing bad to say about cable cards, although I was braced for it. No charge for installation and $2.73 per month per card. I might end up saving a few dollars once I drop the SA 8300HD DVR and my current Tivo S2. Tracking says I should have the Tivo by Tuesday and I'm set up with the cable company for Friday.

I held off for so long due to SDV. But we only have two channels on SDV now (A&E HD and ESPN2 HD) and they both have SD equivalents. If TW adds anymore HD channels they've already stated they will be SDV but I finally decided if I just went ahead and bought it and stopped worrying about it we'd probably get a few good years out of it before SDV really starts to hurt, and what CE device lasts much more than that now anyway?

Time Warner Central New York (out of Syracuse).

What does everybody think of keeping a digital cable box for the express purpose of tuning in any SDV channels if there's something on I particularly want to watch? Once the cable box is tuned to it the Tivo should be able to receive it, yes?

I'll update with my installation experience.

Rich

fastep
06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I guess you missed out on the $200 rebate that expired yesterday. Or did you buy it yesterday?

rmryan
06-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I guess you missed out on the $200 rebate that expired yesterday. Or did you buy it yesterday?

Nope, bought it on Thursday. The rebate is why it was in my shopping cart to begin with.... :)

Teledatageek
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Anyone have a guess as to when/what the next promo will be on the S3? I need to get one ASAP to replace the one smoked by lightning.....

valley_guy
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Anyone have a guess as to when/what the next promo will be on the S3? I need to get one ASAP to replace the one smoked by lightning.....

What, no surge protection? :eek: I've got $5000 of gear in my cabinet and wouldn't think of not using one!

Teledatageek
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Well this is what I have for protection in my house:

1. APC UPS (good one) - Tivo is plugged into it.
2. Whole house professional surge protector
3. Lightning rods

I believe the lightning came in through an alarm component and then made it's way to the network. So, I need ethernet lightning protection. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.

ajwees41
07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
After a week of staring at the S3 in my Amazon shopping cart I couldn't take it anymore and I bought it! Incredibly quick call to Time Warner to get rid of Starz (which we don't watch) add the Hi-Def tier and get two cable cards. They actually tried to set me up for the very next business day. Of course I didn't have the Tivo yet so I had to put them off for a few days. She had absolutely nothing bad to say about cable cards, although I was braced for it. No charge for installation and $2.73 per month per card. I might end up saving a few dollars once I drop the SA 8300HD DVR and my current Tivo S2. Tracking says I should have the Tivo by Tuesday and I'm set up with the cable company for Friday.

I held off for so long due to SDV. But we only have two channels on SDV now (A&E HD and ESPN2 HD) and they both have SD equivalents. If TW adds anymore HD channels they've already stated they will be SDV but I finally decided if I just went ahead and bought it and stopped worrying about it we'd probably get a few good years out of it before SDV really starts to hurt, and what CE device lasts
much more than that now anyway?

Time Warner Central New York (out of Syracuse).

What does everybody think of keeping a digital cable box for the express purpose of tuning in any SDV channels if there's something on I particularly want to watch? Once the cable box is tuned to it the Tivo should be able to receive it, yes?

I'll update with my installation experience.

Rich

S3's don't work with cable boxes only cable cards.

ajwees41

miller890
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Well this is what I have for protection in my house:

2. Whole house professional surge protector

Any recommendations?

valley_guy
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I believe the lightning came in through an alarm component and then made it's way to the network. So, I need ethernet lightning protection. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.

Wow, the one wire you didn't have protected got you! :mad:

I use a Belkin PureAV UPS (model AP30800-10, got from newegg). Funny thing is that I haven't bothered to use the available Ethernet slot on it! I guess that is my project when I get home tonight. Then again I'm not in a big lightning prone area (SF Bay).

Edit: did it nuke your alarm system?

pmrowley
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM

S3's don't work with cable boxes only cable cards.

ajwees41

Go back and re-read what he asked. The whole point of SDV is that a given channel won't be broadcast, unless a cable box is tuned to it. Since Tivo is 1-way communication, it can't tell the headend to switch that particular channel on. He's getting around that issue by explicitly having a device tune the particular channel he wants Tivo to see. Tivo still uses its cable cards to descramble the signal. The cable box is only being used to signal the headend as to which channel he's tuning to.

The only issue is the inability of the Tivo to tell the cable box to tune to the channel it wants to record.

Cheers,
-P

Justin Thyme
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Any recommendations?
I had this one (http://www.smarthome.com/4860X.html) put in at the old house but got it because of the home automation things hanging off the electrical system. I didn't put one in the house we got after the twins were born. I just use a UPS on the server and the Tivo.

pattont
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
wished I wouldn't of missed out on that rebate...

visionary
07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Get a constant voltage transformer, put it ahead of the UPS. It will totally protect from even long surges that surge protectors don't. It never is damaged by the surge either, and it even protects the UPS and the other surge supressors from being burned out! Stops UPS beeping too unless a total power loss. Protects against brown outs too, and without using up the UPS battery, it can run on low voltage forever and put out correct voltage to you. A really good good thing, about shoebox size, and about $100 or so. Check ebay, greybar, grainger, for these.

ajwees41
07-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Go back and re-read what he asked. The whole point of SDV is that a given channel won't be broadcast, unless a cable box is tuned to it. Since Tivo is 1-way communication, it can't tell the headend to switch that particular channel on. He's getting around that issue by explicitly having a device tune the particular channel he wants Tivo to see. Tivo still uses its cable cards to descramble the signal. The cable box is only being used to signal the headend as to which channel he's tuning to.

The only issue is the inability of the Tivo to tell the cable box to tune to the channel it wants to record.

Cheers,
-P

Can the the S3 handle input from a cable box?

That's what I am reffering to.

ajwees41

classicsat
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Can the the S3 handle input from a cable box?

That's what I am reffering to.

ajwees41

No. You would use this SDV capable cable box to watch the SDV (or other third digital channel) channel direct. You will have no access whatsoever to those channels on the Series 3.

ajwees41
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Cheers,
-P

This what the OP wanted to know.

I replied with

I don't think the s3 can take the input of the cable box.

What are you disagreeing with?

ajwees41

Justin Thyme
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Technically, the S3 can take the input if it is SD. You use a $12 buck modulator and stick it into the Antenna input. Record it as channel 3.

Such a kludgey method is not practical for general DVR operations. For two tuners, what do you do? You need two such boxes. About this time you are wondering why you have to pay the cableco for both the cablecards and the boxes- and oh by the way each one of those you will have to pay additional digital tier connection fees on top of the rental of the box.... Oh- and you need the IR blasters too....

Thank the FCC for forgetting that people want to change channels on third party devices.