PDA

View Full Version : Transferring S3 lifetime status to another user?

lml55
06-16-2007, 02:12 PM
After essentially being forced to switch to DirecTV after having moved out of my home state (had to be able to watch my teams out of market), I've decided to finally part with my prized S3 and put it up on eBay. My question is, can the lifetime status that I have on my S3 be transferred to someone else? I'd like to be able to advertise that, because it should push the value up on the unit.

Thanks.

stahta01
06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
After essentially being forced to switch to DirecTV after having moved out of my home state (had to be able to watch my teams out of market), I've decided to finally part with my prized S3 and put it up on eBay. My question is, can the lifetime status that I have on my S3 be transferred to someone else? I'd like to be able to advertise that, because it should push the value up on the unit.

Thanks.

Lifetime by default stays with the unit (motherboard in this case); in certain rare cases you can transfer the lifetime. But, I think the Series 3 only has the transfer to replacement when done at an authorized repair center method. Note, this may have changed, I have not checked lately.

Looks like it has not changed.
From http://customersupport.tivo.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=1C295AC6-10F0-4AB6-9584-DF84FE352D9E

Product Lifetime Service accompanies the DVR, not the owner. If you sold or gave away a DVR that has Product Lifetime Service, either you or the new owner must contact Customer Support to transfer the service to the new owner.

Tim S

lml55
06-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Lifetime by default stays with the unit (motherboard in this case); in certain rare cases you can transfer the lifetime. But, I think the Series 3 only has the transfer to replacement when done at an authorized repair center method. Note, this may have changed, I have not checked lately.

Tim S

Ok, this means I don't have to worry about doing anything special when I sell the unit, only that I probably need to cancel my account?

stahta01
06-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, this means I don't have to worry about doing anything special when I sell the unit, only that I probably need to cancel my account?

If it is lifetime, I would not cancel the account, I would let the user transfer it to thier account. Note, from reading the forum it will always show up on your online management page somewhere. If you tell TiVo to cancel the account you might get an dummy at TiVo that does that and then you could get sued for selling an TiVO without lifetime.

Note, if you are paying monthly or yearly you must both pay off the contract and cancel the account.

Tim S

lml55
06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok, well then I definitely won't be canceling my account. I guess I just don't understand the transferring process, but as long as lifetime is still on it I don't have to worry about it, the buyer would have to figure it out.

Espo
06-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I have a lot of experience in this since I have sold many Lifetimed Tivos on eBay for profit. No, if you don't do anything then you will get yourself in big trouble with the person who bought it. If someone buys it, they surely are going to want to have access to the their account to use all of it's features. It's very simple: if the S3 is the only Tivo on the account, after someone buys it, you get their info, log on to YOUR account & change the info to the new buyers info. Yes, Tivo always can trace your name in some manner back to the box; however, as they will verify, this can never be to your harm. Of course the new buyer will likely change the password & you will be blocked from any further access (some never do). If you have more than 1 box on your account, your 1st step would be to call Tivo & have them separate the boxes to different accounts/e-mail of your own > proceed with the above steps. Hope this helps!