PDA

View Full Version : What is "Live 7:00 PM"?

RepairDad
06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
My TiVo is pretty full, and I try to watch programs before they get deleted, but recently several programs have been deleted with the message:

"This program was deleted earlier than planned <date/time> because the space was needed for another recording:
Live 7:00 pm"

This has been happening A LOT!

So, what the heck is "Live 7:00 pm"???

I did a search here and at TiVo.Com but have found no mention of this term.

Thanks,

~Rick

JimSpence
06-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Check your season passes and wishlists. Also, the recording history screen may give you a hint.

Did you do a search of the guide for that show? If it is a show.

So what got recorded at 7:00pm?

Do a reboot!

RepairDad
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
There is no show, or wishlist, called "Live 7:00 pm". This doesn't happen at the time 7:00 pm, it happens at various hours of the day.

There doesn't seem to be any show recorded. It simply deletes my other show.

Initially I thought it was the TiVo ads that show up, but this is happening a lot and at various times of the day/night.

~Rick

JimSpence
06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Has this happened after you have done a reboot?

Any hints at all on the Recording History screen for the deletions?

RepairDad
06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
No hints whatsoever. In fact, here is an example:

A program was deleted at 2:55PM

The only recordings NEAR this time were:

12:00PM Not sure of time, 1 hour or two hour show. Should not have triggered 2:55pm deletion

5:00PM 30 minute show, should not have triggered the 2:55pm deletion

I haven't rebooted in a long time, and should not have to.

But, I just restarted so will see what happens.

~Rick

steve614
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I haven't rebooted in a long time, and should not have to.
~Rick
A Tivo IS a computer after all...
Do you NOT ever have to reboot your home computer?

RepairDad
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Yes, TiVo is a computer. But it runs linux, not Windows. If it were running Windows, I would expect to have to reboot it daily. linux does not have those problems. My other two TiVos haven't been rebooted in many months. My mail server I run at home (linux-based) has been running for over a year.

So, no, I don't expect to have to re-boot TiVo.

~Rick

JimSpence
06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Linux based or not, databases can get corrupted. All kinds of funny things happen when a database gets messed up. Restarts/reboots can fix these problems. You may also want to do a simple reordering of your SPs to cause it to reindex.

wolflord11
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes, TiVo is a computer. But it runs linux, not Windows. If it were running Windows, I would expect to have to reboot it daily. linux does not have those problems. My other two TiVos haven't been rebooted in many months. My mail server I run at home (linux-based) has been running for over a year.

So, no, I don't expect to have to re-boot TiVo.

~Rick

The Windows XP System I am on now has not been rebooted in a little over 2 Months. Its been running 24/7 no hickups at all.

Guess its all about the Hardware you have installed also.

gastrof
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
The Windows XP System I am on now has not been rebooted in a little over 2 Months. Its been running 24/7 no hickups at all...

I'd contact Microsoft and ask about this.

Something's obviously wrong.

:p

SkeeterTV
06-14-2007, 06:16 PM
The Windows XP System I am on now has not been rebooted in a little over 2 Months. Its been running 24/7 no hickups at all...

Dude... classic... still laughin my butt off... :)

RoyK
06-14-2007, 07:43 PM

A TiVo is an appliance. It should work like one.

steve614
06-15-2007, 09:29 PM
A TiVo is an appliance. It should work like one.
If Tivo is an appliance, then what is that large box with cold compartments and no hard drive or motherboard in my kitchen called besides a refrigerator? Or that magical box that I put dirty clothes in and *presto*, they come out clean? :p

OK, granted most electronic devices can be considered appliances but a Tivo has to do a lot more *thinking* than a TV or stereo reciever does.

:)

richsadams
06-16-2007, 03:29 PM
My TiVo is pretty full, and I try to watch programs before they get deleted, but recently several programs have been deleted with the message:

"This program was deleted earlier than planned <date/time> because the space was needed for another recording:

Thanks,

~Rick The key is the message "This program was deleted earlier than planned because the space was needed for another recording." Don't confuse yourself with times, dates, etc. TiVo is a somewhat "smart" device in that it plans ahead. It won't wait until the last minute to delete a program to make space for a scheduled recording.

Unless something is really wrong with your HDD it's just full...they only have so much space. Delete some shows if you're not going to watch them, set them to “Keep until I delete” or plan on either having programs deleted before you watch them or having programs that are scheduled to record missed because you're saving everything.

Besides deleting programs to gain more space you could also consider reducing the quality of the recordings from "High" to "Medium", etc. (Of course that will only affect future recordings, not existing ones.) Depending on your TV (and your taste) the PQ of most programs are fine at a lower resolution...particularly the news, etc.

You didn't mention what TiVo model you have, but if it's older with a small HDD, you could also consider upgrading if you're willing to open the box and pop a new drive in. It's really very easy if you order one from the TiVo Community Store (http://store.tivocommunity.com/merchant.mvc?)...basically plug and play. Or it's probably cheaper to just buy a new box with a larger drive. New S2's are $40 after rebate and DT S2's are only $80 after rebate.

BTW, rebooting isn't a bad idea. As mentioned it is a computer. Linux, Mac, Windows...there isn't a computer built that doesn't require rebooting...if only for a kernel upgrade...once in a while. It doesn't hurt anything and can often clear up some issues. Just unplug it for a minute or so and plug it back in...enjoy the little start-up video and you're none the worse for wear. However in your case, it just sounds like you've run out of space. ;)

RepairDad
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Well, it appears I'm the only one who sees this behavior on TiVo. :-(

I've done some more poking around, and I've found the "culprit". When a show I WANT gets deleted due to "This program was deleted earlier than planned <date/time> because the space was needed for another recording:

it is because TiVo is recording an advertisement!

I have curtailed this somewhat by identifying the channels that carry these advertisements and infomercials and have removed the channels from my channels list. But even the network station are providing these ads so I can't remove all the offending channels.

Why TiVo feels it's important to delete my shows in order to record ads (which I NEVER watch), I'll leave up to you to decide. I'm not paying a subscription so TiVO can record ads and delete my shows!

~Rick

tootal2
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I think you need a 1 tb dvr expander.

Thanks,

~Rick

orangeboy
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, it appears I'm the only one who sees this behavior on TiVo. :-(

I've done some more poking around, and I've found the "culprit". When a show I WANT gets deleted due to "This program was deleted earlier than planned <date/time> because the space was needed for another recording:

it is because TiVo is recording an advertisement!

I have curtailed this somewhat by identifying the channels that carry these advertisements and infomercials and have removed the channels from my channels list. But even the network station are providing these ads so I can't remove all the offending channels.

Why TiVo feels it's important to delete my shows in order to record ads (which I NEVER watch), I'll leave up to you to decide. I'm not paying a subscription so TiVO can record ads and delete my shows!

~Rick

I created a "Shopping" Category Wishlist. This gathers all the advertising programming into one spot. I go through the list and 3 thumbs down everything in the list. I later updated the Wishlist to include a "-PAID" keyword, to help narrow the list to uniquely named programming other than "Paid Programming".

MikeAndrews
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Litterally happend to me on the job. When I told the NT team I didn't need to reboot my servers weekly or even monthly they screamed! "
"Good luck dude! You're going to have lots of problems! Memory leaks! Bit rot!"

Ummm, no, I'm not.

One of my guys screen captured the status page of the server with 498 days of uptime. TILT!

Of courrse I had to replace all my servers with 16 times as many running NT.

MikeAndrews
01-06-2010, 12:03 PM
...it is because TiVo is recording an advertisement!

Should not happen. The TiVo content is not stored on the same partition as your content. It's in the reserved TiVo system area. It should have no impact on your shows.

Besides that recording is not made at 7 PM. It's done in the wee hours of the morning.

I happened to catch the recording of 'Teleworld Paid Programming" this morning at 3 and 3:30 AM. Fun to watch. What amazed me is the stuff shows up in Showcases right away. They also repeat stuff you already have. I gotta guess they repeat to make sure each TiVo catches it eventually in case it's doing real work and bypasses that recording.

RepairDad
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Should not happen. The TiVo content is not stored on the same partition as your content. It's in the reserved TiVo system area. It should have no impact on your shows.

Besides that recording is not made at 7 PM. It's done in the wee hours of the morning.

Well, although I agree it "should not" happen, it does happen. I can take pictures of my screen where about 6 shows or so were deleted because I was away all day Saturday.

The shows don't record at 7:00 PM, but the TiVo message states my recordings were deleted for "Live 7:00 PM". It seems to be some type of place holder.

Maybe I'll try to D/L the TiVo source code and search for that string ;)

I know it's commercials that are being recorded because, like you, I was awake a few times at 2:00 - 4:00 AM and looked to see what was being recorded -- infomercials.

~Rick

steve614
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, although I agree it "should not" happen, it does happen. I can take pictures of my screen where about 6 shows or so were deleted because I was away all day Saturday.

The shows don't record at 7:00 PM, but the TiVo message states my recordings were deleted for "Live 7:00 PM". It seems to be some type of place holder.

Maybe I'll try to D/L the TiVo source code and search for that string ;)

I know it's commercials that are being recorded because, like you, I was awake a few times at 2:00 - 4:00 AM and looked to see what was being recorded -- infomercials.

~Rick
The shows you're talking about don't record at 7pm, but do you have anything else that you record on a normal basis at 7pm?
The statement bolded above tells me that the show was deleted because the Tivo had to use Live TV at 7:00pm to record something. Even though the message isn't worded that way, it makes sense because that is what the Tivo does when you have a full hard drive.
Do you have any messages that give a time other than 7pm?
If not, that might just mean that the Tivo looks ahead at what is going to be recording in the next few days and deletes shows in blocks rather than one at a time and that 7pm is the designated time the Tivo chooses to do its deletes.

kevinwill1
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I just noticed this same situation on my TiVo, with the "Live 7:00pm" message. My hard drive is almost full, and the programs that I am losing are the ones I have recorded on a Season Pass that are not saved 'Until I Delete'. The Recording History logs have the times these shows are being auto-deleted at times during the day when my wife is home and she has been transfering programs from the upstairs TiVo to the downstairs unit. Could the fact that anything new being added to the downstairs TiVo is creating this message and that "Live 7:00pm" is just how it's listed?