PDA

View Full Version : Tivo won't change channels on the cable box...

bubbabeernuts
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm having channel changing problems with my Tivo dual-tuner DVR. It won't change channels on the cable set-top box. The channel changing only takes place only from the Tivo unit. So I can only work channels 2 through 99. I can't get any of the listed channels over 99 to come in. These were channels that were previously available with my older Tivo Series 2 40 hour unit, which was a single-tuner model.

I'm using a Tivo Series 2 80 hour dual tuner DVR, and it's hooked up to a General Instruments-Motorola DCT2224/1161 cable box. Both units are tuned to Channel 4.

I have to use the IR cable, because the serial port was disabled by the cable company. The emitters are positioned according to the user guide - 1 and a half inches from the front of the cable box, on top and underneath, pointing at the IR sensor.

I have a VCR/DVD recorder in the mix, and I used the following guide to set it up:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=715a749b-a983-4660-b3e1-8347457abfc3

I performed all the channel changing tests from Tivo Central/Messages and Settings/Channels/Channel Changing. No dice.

Under System Information, Program Source(1) is listed as "Cable Box, IR," with Source Input listed as "Composite Video, L/R Audio." Program Source(2) is listed as "Cable Without Box," with the Source Input listed as "Coax RF In." So Tivo sees the box.

In the Channel List directory, everything under channel 100 is checked off as "cbl," and everything over 100 is checked off as "box."

I got on the phone with Tivo tech support, and they had me try several IR codes in the advanced channel settings. The codes were 10006, 10019, 10032, 10042, and 10046. No luck with any of them.

Tech support at the cable company won't help with Tivo-related problems since they offer their own DVR-in-a-cable-box, which doesn't have commercial skip enabled.

I also tried the forum at the official Tivo site and Google. No luck on either front.

I'm at the end of my rope. I hope someone in here can divine a solution. Thanks in advance. :confused:

ZikZak
03-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm using a Tivo Series 2 80 hour dual tuner DVR, and it's hooked up to a General Instruments-Motorola DCT2224/1161 cable box. Both units are tuned to Channel 4.

What do you mean "both units are tuned to chnnel 4?" Your cable box should be hooked up with A/V cables or better, not coax.

Under System Information, Program Source(1) is listed as "Cable Box, IR," with Source Input listed as "Composite Video, L/R Audio." Program Source(2) is listed as "Cable Without Box," with the Source Input listed as "Coax RF In." So Tivo sees the box.

This makes no difference. Tivo doesn't "see" cable boxes in the way you mean. It does nothing to detect them, it only thinks its there because you told it that it was during guided setup. That's all.

I got on the phone with Tivo tech support, and they had me try several IR codes in the advanced channel settings. The codes were 10006, 10019, 10032, 10042, and 10046. No luck with any of them.

What code was your old box using? Use that one.

If that doesn't work, and you know that the IR blaster is properly plugged into the back of your tivo, then your IR cable may be defective. If you have a digital camera, use it to look at the IR blaster when you request a channel change; it should be able to see the IR signal and display it on screen.

bubbabeernuts
03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
***What do you mean "both units are tuned to chnnel 4?" Your cable box should be hooked up with A/V cables or better, not coax.***

The channel switch on the back of the Tivo is set to channel 4. I may have misread the part about setting the cable box to channel 4. The coax is coming from the wall to a splitter. One end goes to the cable box and the other goes to Tivo.

***If that doesn't work, and you know that the IR blaster is properly plugged into the back of your tivo, then your IR cable may be defective. If you have a digital camera, use it to look at the IR blaster when you request a channel change; it should be able to see the IR signal and display it on screen.***

I did the test with the IR blaster I used with my old Tivo, and the one that came with the new one. Neither showed an IR signal.

I would have loved to try the old code, but my old Tivo is hooked up without a cable box in another room, and the channel changing option doesn't exist in Settings.

At this point, it may be that I have a defective IR port on the Tivo. I've already talked with Tivo tech support about it, and they say they will give me a new unit.