PDA

View Full Version : Broken Battery Cover on Remote Control

pzoba
02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I have two TiVO (peanut) remote controls that have broken battery covers. (Three kids and their friends in the house.) If you remove your cover and look, there are two small prongs that hold the cover in place. In both cases, one of these prongs broke off and now the cover is not held tightly in place anymore. It is a small thing but annoying. Hate to try and tape it closed or anything like that.

I contacted TiVO and they do not sell the covers alone, only entire new remotes. This is wasteful if I only need the covers. You know that their manufacturers have spares, it's just a question of making them available to us for a couple bucks.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to see if we could make contact with the remotes manufacturer and see if they could make them available to us on a direct basis? I would even entertain buying 1,000 of them and reselling them on eBay or something as I am sure that I am not alone.

This detracts from the TiVO ownership experience when the covers always fall off... Help!

rcobourn
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I share your pain. I have a 3 year old who has personnaly seen to destroying the battery covers to almost all of the remote controls in the living room by repeatedly removing them, including the peanut. At least he seems to have outgrown it. Then a few days ago I enter the living room only to see my 11 year old... sliding the broken battery cover on and off of the tivo remote. :rolleyes:

jtown
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
It's just not a practical part to sell. If they did sell it, they'd either have to lose money or charge so much that you'd spend the extra money to get a spare remote with your battery cover.

Next time, look for a broken remote on ebay. If you only need the battery cover, you could probably buy a broken remote (with intact cover) for a few bucks.

GusMan
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Try Black Duct Tape.

pzoba
02-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Boy, I'm surprised... no good ideas... I was hoping for a real solution!

classicsat
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
If it is broken, just glue it, or use non-drying putty to hold the battery cover on (I have done that before).

As for contacting the manufacturer, won't work. Their contract for those parts is with TiVo, so any parts they make belong to Tivo, and any request to make the parts has to be made by TiVo.

mick66
02-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Boy, I'm surprised... no good ideas... I was hoping for a real solution!

Maybe you can get all the guys and gals together and put on a show in the old barn to raise public awareness of this issue.
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5749/andyhardyandgirlski5.jpg

TiVo Troll
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I have two TiVO (peanut) remote controls that have broken battery covers. (Three kids and their friends in the house.) If you remove your cover and look, there are two small prongs that hold the cover in place. In both cases, one of these prongs broke off and now the cover is not held tightly in place anymore. It is a small thing but annoying. Hate to try and tape it closed or anything like that.

I contacted TiVO and they do not sell the covers alone, only entire new remotes. This is wasteful if I only need the covers. You know that their manufacturers have spares, it's just a question of making them available to us for a couple bucks.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to see if we could make contact with the remotes manufacturer and see if they could make them available to us on a direct basis? I would even entertain buying 1,000 of them and reselling them on eBay or something as I am sure that I am not alone.

This detracts from the TiVO ownership experience when the covers always fall off... Help!

I bought an S2 TiVo on eBay from a listing where the seller "forgot" to state that the TiVo Central button was missing from the remote, which otherwise was in good shape. I then bought an identical remote except it was from a Humax TiVo and is a lighter shade of gray. That remote worked fine but had scratches and dings and didn't look as nice.

So I had the bright idea of swapping the TiVo Central button. But I didn't do it right and the thin rubbery pad to which the TiVo button is attached tore and is unusable.

I learned that the trick to repairing a TiVo remote by swapping parts from another is to take them apart by removing the screw in the battery compartment and then carefully prying the top off using a small screwdriver starting on an edge under and along one side. That can be tricky! Also, when reassembling the remote make sure that the springy battery contacts extend into the proper slots in the plastic base. Otherwise, fixing a remote by swapping parts is a piece of cake! FYI, the TiVo Central button in the short Peanut isn't identical to one in the long Peanut; while the button is the same, the rubbery base which it's attached to is thicker.

Anyway; bottom line, I've got two S2 style long Peanut remotes without TiVo Central buttons which are otherwise in usable condition. TiVo S2 remotes consist of a top, bottom, battery cover, red translucent emitter insert, screw, circuit board, rubbery button pad w/all buttons except TiVo Central button, TiVo Central button on rubbery pad, and a switch lever extender for 1-2 control; 9 parts in all.

If anyone can use any or all of this delicious junk consisting of 2 completely disassembled S2 TiVo remotes less the TiVo Central buttons, it'll all fit into a padded envelope for probably less than $2 1st class postage. Send me a PM.