PDA

View Full Version : Voice/sound does not match picture...

ParrotTops
11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have the same problem I am having with my series 3? The voice track is off--the words are not in sync with the people's mouths...its driving me nuts! We do not have a high definition TV--could that be the problem? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

wackymann
11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Are you sure it's not a problem with the channel itself? I use to have that problem with my local Fox digital channel all the time (back before I even had a Tivo), but it doesn't seem to happen any more. Good luck! I agree that it makes almost any show unwatchable if the sound is even slightly out of sync with the video.

thanna
11-15-2006, 04:21 PM
I had the same situation as wackymann. It was with my local PBS channel though. It would happen on my OTA tuner and cable so I'm sure it was the channel.

Is it happening on more than one channel?

Jiffylush
11-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Make sure it isn't related to an optical audio output. (if you use it)

There may be a delay setting on your reciever (again, if you are using one).

ParrotTops
11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all of your quick responses! It seems to happen with all channels--also I have some strange pixalation happening occasinally--the picture freezes and breaks up for a few seconds. I will try to see if it only happens on recorded shows--you guys are very smart! :)

sykesm
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm actually seeing the audio/video sync issue as well. I'm currently using the S3 to record analog cable and I have my old series 1 recording many of the same shows....

Guess what: The programs recorded with the series 1 don't have the audio/video sync issue but the series 3 programs do.

In both cases (series 1 and series 3) the Tivo is connected to the television via the RCA composite cables. I am not using the optical audio output from the series 3.

I think that rules out the cable signal as the source. I'll be having the CC's installed soon and will be moving from analog to digital so I'm hoping that resolves this. If not, it's bye, bye, series 3.

wackymann
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all of your quick responses! It seems to happen with all channels--also I have some strange pixalation happening occasinally--the picture freezes and breaks up for a few seconds. I will try to see if it only happens on recorded shows--you guys are very smart! :)

If it's on all channels, then I'd definitely say it's a Tivo problem.

Just curious - why did you buy an S3 without an HDTV?

ParrotTops
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Good question Wackyman! In a nutshell: my old Tivo went out and I called Tivo customer service--thinking it had a lifetime warranty and that they would replace it at no cost. Turns out the "lifetime warranty" would have cost me $180.00 for a refurbished one and I would lose my lifetime service which can only be transferred to a Series 3. The customer service guy told me my best option would be to buy the new series 3, even if I didn't have HD. However, it was a month long nightmare convincing Times Warner to install cable cards in the S3 and took threatening them with FCC "Plug & Play" laws to finally get them to come out and do it. By the time I finally had the S3 up and running, it was too late to return it to Best Buys. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just bought another series 2. <sigh>

wackymann
11-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Good question Wackyman! In a nutshell: my old Tivo went out and I called Tivo customer service--thinking it had a lifetime warranty and that they would replace it at no cost. Turns out the "lifetime warranty" would have cost me $180.00 for a refurbished one and I would lose my lifetime service which can only be transferred to a Series 3. The customer service guy told me my best option would be to buy the new series 3, even if I didn't have HD. However, it was a month long nightmare convincing Times Warner to install cable cards in the S3 and took threatening them with FCC "Plug & Play" laws to finally get them to come out and do it. By the time I finally had the S3 up and running, it was too late to return it to Best Buys. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just bought another series 2. <sigh>

Ouch! Sounds like you were steered wrong by Tivo... Maybe you should sell the S3 with lifetime on eBay. They fetch a pretty penny, and it sounds like you aren't getting much out of it as is.

ig88
12-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm actually seeing the audio/video sync issue as well. I'm currently using the S3 to record analog cable and I have my old series 1 recording many of the same shows....

Guess what: The programs recorded with the series 1 don't have the audio/video sync issue but the series 3 programs do.

In both cases (series 1 and series 3) the Tivo is connected to the television via the RCA composite cables. I am not using the optical audio output from the series 3.

I think that rules out the cable signal as the source. I'll be having the CC's installed soon and will be moving from analog to digital so I'm hoping that resolves this. If not, it's bye, bye, series 3.

Exactly.

My Series 1 & 2's NEVER display out of sync.

My S3 is out of sync 50% of the time.

Doesn't matter what channel.

THis is an S3 issue.

My S3 is connected only with SD cable, no cable cards, on an SD TV.

r11roadster
12-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I see this too but only on channels 2-13. annoying as all get out. Need to move the SP to my series2 till this is fixed.

squirrellyman
02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem, and I haven't seen a resolution when searching. All the threads just eventually die out, like this one did...

Is there a resolution to this?

If not, has anyone figured outa workaround? For example, I've tried going back to "Now playing" and then coming back to the recorded program. It seems to help sometimes, but I'm not convinced that was what solved the problem.

gargoyle999
02-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Happened to me yesterday when I went to see if I had the new 8.1 update. Have a series 3, 2 cable cards, connected via HDMI to HDTV. It was the live show that was on and was out of sync.

I went into the settings to see if I had the new software, saw I didn't, and used remote to get back to live tv and it was back to normal.

This was on a analog cable channel but not one of the locals.

George Cifranci
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
One of my channels was doing that today (voice out of sync with video). It was one of the HD local channels.

TiivoDog
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I am having the same problem with an out of sync condition regarding audio / video on multiple HD stations. One of my S3s are connected to an Onkyo (TX-SR804B) via HDMI, however my other two S3s are also experiencing latency..... :(

CraigHB
02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I had this happen on one of my analog channels. I didn't check to see if it was all of them or just that station. I have seen stations lose audio sync before, but didn't think it could be the TiVo doing it. Next time I'll check.

cajunjoel
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll throw my two cents in here, as well. I recorded the Grammy Awards on an analog channel using my Series 2 Tivo and for a while the audio was out of sync. We're still watching it and it seems to have come back after a while, even without pausing or stopping the playback.

The only strangeness about my box is that a few months ago I upgraded the hard drive to give me 153 hours (over the standard 40) but I haven't experienced any problems with it, aside from my wife filling the thing up with Scrubs reruns. :)

(I do have some theories that the new hard drive isn't recording as well, but that's a topic for another thread.)

--Joel