PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Race 10 - 10/8/06 - *SPOILERS*

Inundated
10-08-2006, 10:11 PM
It's been a while since I started one of these. :D

Everyone has trouble rowing, Sarah has continued trouble with Peter, and Tom and Jerry, er, Terry have trouble staying in the race.

Discuss...

lambertman
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
"Roadblock: who has strong arms and legs?"

Peter: "Sarah!"

...?!

Inundated
10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna sit on my Peter Rant for a while now.

:D

tem
10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
yeah, I couldn't believe he made Sarah to that roadblock. He's a complete tool.

Glad to see the Walking Stereotypes gone. They seriously bugged.

sushikitten
Okay, so I grew up in Michigan, the land of 11,000 lakes, and I've been around water my whole life and I do know how to row (not that I'd be great, but I wouldn't have a coronary trying to move the boat). But I seriously (SERIOUSLY) didn't think rowing was so godawful difficult to figure out. I mean, how hard is the concept of moving two oars at the same time? Or am I really just that out of it and if you haven't rowed before, you're totally clueless? (Yes, the wind and waves were serious disadvantages, but these teams would have been just as clueless on a mirror-finish lake.)

And the team that came in first? Hate them with a passion. They almost make me not want to watch.

Also, Peter...what a total a$$hat. I don't much like Sarah (if she whines "I can't do it!" one more time...), but at least I give her credit for overcoming her obstacles.

RichardHead
I've been unable to generate any love or even "like" for any of these teams so far.

Gunnyman
10-08-2006, 11:07 PM
The Shots of Peter SITTING there kicked back watching Sarah climb the rock and then later screaming that he doesn't want to do it anymore moved him into the Massive Tool column on my score sheet.
The Single Moms, however have me in their corner rooting for them.

bobsbizzy
10-08-2006, 11:27 PM
It certainly was a physically tough leg, one of the toughest ever I think.

Really like the Korean team, the Kentucky team and don't mind the beauty queens.

Frat boys aka models show too much frat boy arrogance for me, the team that came in first just has an a-hole for the guy, as does Sarah, (go Sarah), liked the gay guys and thought they went out with class but couldn't understand why they took so long to get their 30 baskets - am I missing one team?

Oh yeah the single moms. Doing OK but not long for the game methinks. Them, the kentucky team and the beauty queens seem to be competing with each other to see who will be eliminated next.

Inundated
10-09-2006, 12:03 AM
The Shots of Peter SITTING there kicked back watching Sarah climb the rock and then later screaming that he doesn't want to do it anymore moved him into the Massive Tool column on my score sheet.

OK, Gunny...you've gone and done it...triggered my aforementioned and teased "Peter Rant".

What a useless team member/wannabe boyfriend/person.

Not only did Peter sit there and watch, he looked about as disinterested as you could possibly look as Sarah was going up the rock. He looked like he was staring at a cloud formation or something. His facial expression said "uh, whatever".

Add that to the "I don't want to do this anymore" ("able bodied" Peter quits about 1000 times faster than Sarah) and I don't want to see this jerk on my TV screen anymore. I just don't know how it could be done without eliminating Sarah.

She's not perfect, either...but gets a few dozen or so points from me for being open about how Peter is not exactly what she expected.

getbak
10-09-2006, 12:26 AM
"That's it. I'm not talking to any more foreigners." - Rob

:rolleyes:

Jstkiddn
10-09-2006, 12:49 AM
"That's it. I'm not talking to any more foreigners." - Rob

:rolleyes:

I had to rewind that about three or four times to watch it again!!!

Um, excuse me...but who is the foreigner?!?! LOLOL

wendiness1
10-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Ugh! Peter!

And then, when they were climbing out of the small boat into the larger one, he jumps out without her. "Peter, don't leave me here!"

Man oh man oh man.

scottykempf
10-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Plus when Sarah was climbing the rock, Peter was yelling away, giving her "pointers" and making stupid statements like "Use the handicap placard. Maybe you can go to the front of the line." But when Peter was doing the challenge, rowing the boat, and Sarah is trying to tell him what to do, he tells her "I need you to be quite" or something similar. What a jerk!!!

P.S. Sarah, don't be sad that your feelings for Peter aren't being returned. Your Gaydar should be going crazy whenver you look at Peter. :D

katbug
10-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Ugh, Peter looked much prettier before he started the race and opened his mouth, and I think Sarah's definitely seeing that too. I'm sure he's quite a catch in real life, when he's working and all knowledgable, etc. but it's good that she's now seeing the "real" Peter. Ugh, this one is not gonna last. I still don't understand why she's doing the physical challenges and he's doing the ones like archery. :0(

SO glad to be done with the eliminated team. They were just annoying! I really thought it would be beauty queens due to the misread of that final clue...duh! If they'd lost because of that, they would have forever sealed the stereotype they're trying to overcome.

JETarpon
10-09-2006, 03:38 AM
I was a little irritated at the way they scripted the roadblock and Sarah. They kept showing Sarah looking all worried, and then showing her fake foot, and then showing everyone else climbing up USING ONLY ONE LEG.

The challenge didn't require two good legs. Stop making such a big deal about it.

And yeah, Peter's a tool.

mask2343
10-09-2006, 07:32 AM
I've been unable to generate any love or even "like" for any of these teams so far.
Ditto.

Lee L
10-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Wow, could Peter look any worse? I also agree about the only using one leg with the ascender thing though. Seems like she probably was as well or better equipped strength wise than anyone else. The only real disadvantage I can see is maybe balance.

As far as rowing, I think maybe the distance between the oars coupled with the height of the pegs they were on and the way they were fastened made it much more difficult. I was waiting for one of the teams to just untie the ropes and start rowing right off the side.

Sadara
10-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Peter is a royal piece of dung. Enough said about him. I like Sarah, I do think some times she worries about her ability to do things like that, but each time she finds the strength deep down to push through it and you can see on her face how happy she is when she finishes the task.

The single mom's are one of my more favorite teams, but I think they are doomed to come in last sooner than later.

The Beauty Queens are slightly entertaining and while some of their mannerism annoy me, I give them props for getting through the tough times together.

The squabling couple (the ones that won this leg) both drive me nuts. I keep waiting for Kimberly to grab something heavy and crack Rob over the head with it.

Kentucky team, I actually feel bad for the husband. Has anyone noticed yet that Wife is totally rude, crude and mean to hubby? She's nice NICE to everyone else, but she barely has anything nice to say to her hubby. This is really starting to bug me.

Preppy Boys are starting to seem gay to me. I thought it two episodes ago, but my Hubby mentioned it last night. By the way, they need to be knocked off their high horse, their attitude is not very humble.

The Cho brothers - I'm actually impressed with them, they seem to be able to work together well, they have their brotherly tiffs once in awhile, but they really aren't very frequent. I'm hoping these guys win.

T&T, so glad they are gone!!

AccidenT
10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I was a little irritated at the way they scripted the roadblock and Sarah. They kept showing Sarah looking all worried, and then showing her fake foot, and then showing everyone else climbing up USING ONLY ONE LEG.

The challenge didn't require two good legs. Stop making such a big deal about it.

My thoughts exactly. If anything, she had an advantage because her artifical leg most likely weighs less than a real one, so it was less weight she had to move up the rope.

A few other observations:
- It took me a while to figure out, but I think the rowing was so hard because the oars were barely any wider at the paddle end than at the handle end. Every other oar I've ever seen is at least 3 times as wide at the paddle end.

- LOL @ one of the "T"s swimming while pulling the boat behind him. I can't imagine it's faster than rowing, but he got the job done. :up:

- Maybe I'm heartless, but I couldn't stop laughing when they alternated between shots of the beauty queens crying and T&T crying.

- The single moms get more annoying each week. They praise the Kentucky couple because they're helpful and "that's how southern folk are," yet they not only avoid helping other people, but take pleasure in their misfortunes. And enough already, we get that you're doing the race so your kids will be proud of you. I'm not sure they'll care all that much anyway.

AccidenT
10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Kentucky team, I actually feel bad for the husband. Has anyone noticed yet that Wife is totally rude, crude and mean to hubby? She's nice NICE to everyone else, but she barely has anything nice to say to her hubby. This is really starting to bug me.

Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for her when she interrupted his heartfelt recollection of his Dad's Vietnam experience by yelling about being passed by another team.

Also, I vote that their team nickname be changed to "Dive and Murray" to more accurately represent their pronounciation of each others' names. :D

LooseWiring
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I think Peter and Sarah are both well suited for each other. Both are whiny type-A a$$hats who I can't stand to watch.

Admittedy Peter was sitting back and drinking a Coke while Sarah was climbing but what was he supposed to do? The other partners were all doing the same thing but the editing was done in such a way that Peter came off as an ass-hat.

So far the only teams that haven't SEVERELY annoyed the hell out of me are the Cho Bro's , the druggies, and the Blondes.

Tom and Terry may have been walking, talking, stereotypes but they were just being themselves and having a great time doing it. I am a little sad to see them go.

uncdrew
10-09-2006, 10:34 AM

Thank you!

I noticed it from day one. She's horrendous. Being married to that would be tough, not to mention she even admitted all she does is sit around and watch TV.

Oh, and boss him around.

And not really a huge deal, but you might not want to bear hug every person you see. Some cultures aren't like Kentucky.

Beauty Queens -- tear up your clue?!? Uh, maybe fold it up and keep it in your pocket next time. Or at the least, read it and understand it.

Rob and about-to-dump-you-girlfriend -- nice win, but a big loss is coming your way. You don't treat people you love like that.

Peter -- you have a real catch in Sarah. You'll realize that too late. She has a right to bitch a bit, yet you bitch and whine way more than she does.

T & T -- a little less complaining and you would have stayed in it.

Single Moms -- impressive resolve on the detour. Well done.

JFriday
10-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Maybe no to ascend but I'm sure it would have helped to balance and steady yourself against the wall.

Lee L
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Is it jus tme or does anyone else have a hard time telling whether the beauty queens are smiling and laughing or crying?

uncdrew
10-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Is it jus tme or does anyone else have a hard time telling whether the beauty queens are smiling and laughing or crying?

Ah... you're looking at their faces eh?

Sadara
10-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Thank you!
And not really a huge deal, but you might not want to bear hug every person you see. Some cultures aren't like Kentucky.

Gah, I forgot about that!! I felt bad for that guy, he wanted to run like a jack rabbit too. She's got to stop hugging people.

bruinfan
10-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Glad to see the Walking Stereotypes gone. They seriously bugged.
+1
but they were always good for a laugh watching them run

Joules1111
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Peter & Sarah - she gets more annoying and whiny every episode, he has the blank and vacant stare of a sociopath and seems like he is not emotionally connected to anything - just a very odd man.

T & T - yes, walking talking flitting gay stereotypes, but I was kind of sorry to see them go. They were the only romantically involved couple on the show who really seemed to care about each other and be supportive.

The Cho Brother for the win. :up:

wendiness1
10-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Peter & Sarah - she gets more annoying and whiny every episode, he has the blank and vacant stare of a sociopath and seems like he is not emotionally connected to anything - just a very odd man.

Yes! I thought sociopathic, too. Definately odd reactions.

jking
10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I noticed a lot of complaining from a lot of the teams this episode, especially on the rowing challenge. It definitely seemed hard, in fact as someone above mentioned, maybe the hardest physical leg I have ever seen in the show... but the complaining, "I don't want to do this anymore", "this isn't fun", "I'm done", "I can't do this", whatever it might have been... this is a race for a million bucks people. It's not supposed to be easy.

I got to wondering while watching Sarah climbing the wall... has anyone ever not been able to do a roadblock? Well, I know it's happened... the girl a few years back who couldn't find the needle in the haystack or whatever it was and ended up getting eliminated, for example. But I'm talking about as in this episode, if Sarah had not been able to physically do it, would they have been able to switch to Peter, or once you make the decision, you have to do it or give up and take some kind of penalty? I would imagine take the penalty, since the point of the roadblock is that you have to choose only one team member.

pdhenry
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I think that once you make the decision you have to stick with it, since as you've ntoed you have to choose which team member is to perform the task before you learn what the roadblock really is.

Cragmyre
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Boston Rob a few seasons ago chose to take a penalty rather than do the roadblock, so I would assume that the option exists for any roadblock.

DLiquid
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Preppy Boys are starting to seem gay to me.Since the show started I've been making up gay double entendres for what they say to each other.

Ruth
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
+1 on model boys getting a gaydar reaction. I've gotten that vibe since the beginning.

Wow, Peter really is a jerk. Poor Sarah had such a rough time with the last ascending challenge, and so he makes her do it again?! Plus all the rude comments he was making instead of being supportive, like "spit on him when he passes you." Ick. At least she sees what an ass he is and seems to be getting ready to dump him. I hope she does. On national TV would be especially satisfying.

Like someone else posted, I have not really found any of these teams especially appealing. I don't know who to root for.

DevdogAZ
10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
- LOL @ one of the "T"s swimming while pulling the boat behind him. I can't imagine it's faster than rowing, but he got the job done. :up:
Exactly what I was going to say. Even if you can't figure out how to row, it's got to be faster than jumping out and towing the boat like that. What a moron. The physics of rowing aren't that difficult. Put the oar in the water and pull, causing your boat to go forward.

- Maybe I'm heartless, but I couldn't stop laughing when they alternated between shots of the beauty queens crying and T&T crying.
The queens and the beauty queens. All I can say is that I'm glad it was the queens who got eliminated. They were so annoying to watch. Several of the other teams are annoying too, but I think T&T were at the top of my list to go.

pmyers
10-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm rooting for the Cho brothers.

Sadara
10-09-2006, 01:49 PM
+1 on model boys getting a gaydar reaction. I've gotten that vibe since the beginning.

Wow, Peter really is a jerk. Poor Sarah had such a rough time with the last ascending challenge, and so he makes her do it again?! Plus all the rude comments he was making instead of being supportive, like "spit on him when he passes you." Ick. At least she sees what an ass he is and seems to be getting ready to dump him. I hope she does. On national TV would be especially satisfying.

Like someone else posted, I have not really found any of these teams especially appealing. I don't know who to root for.

Yes, I have to agree a break up on National TV would be so super satisfying to watch. :up:

markz
10-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Peter O'Toole is a drunk (but not a racist pedophile!) Oh wait, wrong show. That was SNL. :D

pdhenry
10-09-2006, 02:19 PM
At least she sees what an ass he is and seems to be getting ready to dump him. I hope she does. On national TV would be especially satisfying.I think it happened before the race started. They've been billed as "formerly dating" all along.

DevdogAZ
10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
I think it happened before the race started. They've been billed as "formerly dating" all along.
And didn't someone post in one of the earlier threads that they know Peter (or know someone who knows him) and the fact that Peter and Sarah were "dating" was news to them?

Ruth
10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
I think they've been billed as "recently dating" not "formerly dating". In one of the beginning shows Sarah said something like they had known each other for a long time and were just now trying out a romantic relationship. So maybe if the Race killed it pretty quickly that might be why their friends don't know much about it.

They certainly don't seem to have any chemistry. I'm not even sure they like each other at all.

jking
10-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I thought I remembered Peter and Sarah reading the roadblock clue, "Who has strong arms and legs", to which she said, "Me". I don't think Peter forced her to do it. I took it as a mutual decision that they both made. We've not seen him in any type of super physical tasks yet. It could be that it was the right decision for her to do the climb. Peter might be too weak to pull his own body weight. He is a jerk, though. As is the guy on the team who came in first... "no more talking to foreigners"... hah, that was classic.

uncdrew
10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I thought I remembered Peter and Sarah reading the roadblock clue, "Who has strong arms and legs", to which she said, "Me". I don't think Peter forced her to do it. I took it as a mutual decision that they both made. We've not seen him in any type of super physical tasks yet. It could be that it was the right decision for her to do the climb. Peter might be too weak to pull his own body weight. He is a jerk, though. As is the guy on the team who came in first... "no more talking to foreigners"... hah, that was classic.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how many detours can one player do? Do they have to switch off? Can one do them all? Can one do all but one?

Rob was a jerk, does need to chill, and is a jerk. But that cab thing was more frustrating than I can imagine.

cherry ghost
10-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. Even if you can't figure out how to row, it's got to be faster than jumping out and towing the boat like that. What a moron. The physics of rowing aren't that difficult. Put the oar in the water and pull, causing your boat to go forward.

The way those boats are designed, it's "put the oar in the water and push".

DevdogAZ
10-09-2006, 03:41 PM
The way those boats are designed, it's "put the oar in the water and push".
Push, pull, doesn't really matter. Sit on the seat the other way and it's pull instead of push. The point is that it's not hard to figure out how to row. Why those queens couldn't figure it out is beyond me.

The light looked considerably different when the queens finally got to the mat. I wonder how far behind they were. Yet another instance where I'd love to see a clock on this show.

Did football run over again in the east? I assume it didn't, as nobody has bitched about it in this thread. However, why in the world did CBS then feel the need to put that stupid blue box that said "next: Cold Case" in the top left corner of the screen every two minutes? That was really annoying and unnecessary.

pmyers
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but how many detours can one player do? Do they have to switch off? Can one do them all? Can one do all but one?...

It used to be that there was a limit, but that rule has since been changed. Now it doesn't matter.

uncdrew
10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
It used to be that there was a limit, but that rule has since been changed. Now it doesn't matter.

Wild...

So what was Peter thinking in having Sarah do it:

a) She asked, he obliged
b) He wanted her to feel "part of the team"
c) He is ready to quit, so having her do it might make them finish last
d) He was in the mood for a break

terpfan1980
10-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Did football run over again in the east? I assume it didn't, as nobody has bitched about it in this thread. However, why in the world did CBS then feel the need to put that stupid blue box that said "next: Cold Case" in the top left corner of the screen every two minutes? That was really annoying and unnecessary.

Football ran over (in the D.C. area) by about 2 minutes. Maybe 3. There was the usual "60 minutes will be seen in it's entireity following the end of the game..." and everything that followed on WUSA (Channel 9, DC) was off by about 1 - 2 minutes.

Not horrible, but not great either.

Next week CBS viewers will get screwed again as FOX had the double header this week, while CBS gets it next. You can fairly safely assume that CBS shows will slide by 15 - 30 minutes for that.

jking
10-09-2006, 04:28 PM

I thought it was the opposite... that originally there wasn't a limit, but they added a limit because the same person was doing all the roadblocks in early seasons. Have they changed the rule back again, or am I just nuts?

Don't answer that.

Ruth
10-09-2006, 04:32 PM
You're not crazy. There originally wasn't a limit, and then they added one. But it appears to be gone again now.

katbug
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Hmmm...I've just figured it had to be no more than 1/2 the roadblocks could be done by either teammate. If that's gone, it makes sense that some of these are done by the same people over and over. Any official word on it either way?

TIVOSciolist
10-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Really like the Korean team . . . .

Actually, I understand that they're American.

pdhenry
10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I think they've been billed as "recently dating" not "formerly dating". Even more ambiguous! I stand corrected.

Ruth
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Hmmm...I've just figured it had to be no more than 1/2 the roadblocks could be done by either teammate. If that's gone, it makes sense that some of these are done by the same people over and over. Any official word on it either way?

I certainly haven't seen anything official. But there was one or maybe two seasons where Phil's little spiel about roadblocks ("A roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform . . . ") included language stating that each team member must do x number of them. And when the teams were debating who should do the roadblocks, they would be talking about who had done how many (especially later in the race). Then all that suff disappeared. I haven't heard anything like it this season at all.

I don't really get why -- that change was a fan favorite and it really seems to equalize the teams since w/o it you can have one team member who is dead weight. I can't see the advantage of allowing one person to do vastly unequal amounts of the work.

DevdogAZ
10-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I certainly haven't seen anything official. But there was one or maybe two seasons where Phil's little spiel about roadblocks ("A roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform . . . ") included language stating that each team member must do x number of them. And when the teams were debating who should do the roadblocks, they would be talking about who had done how many (especially later in the race). Then all that suff disappeared. I haven't heard anything like it this season at all.

I don't really get why -- that change was a fan favorite and it really seems to equalize the teams since w/o it you can have one team member who is dead weight. I can't see the advantage of allowing one person to do vastly unequal amounts of the work.
I agree. I haven't seen anything official WRT removing the rule, but it does seem to be gone. However, it makes no sense that the rule would be canned, since it helped add to the strategy of the game, and made it more difficult for teams with a weak player to excel.

jking
10-09-2006, 05:25 PM

I agree. I thought it added an element of strategy to the game, and didn't really take anything away from it either. I know what you mean that they haven't been mentioning it the past couple of seasons, but I just assumed it was because it had become such a common rule that they didn't feel the need to mention it.

Lee L
10-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I wish they left the Flo rule in place this time.

omnibus
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
The audio editor's certainly were fond of keeping in every time T called T, "Honey"

Puleeezeee!

Sadara
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM
The audio editor's certainly were fond of keeping in every time T called T, "Honey"

Puleeezeee!

That was a little overboard, wasn't it?!

cmgal
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
It used to be that there was a limit, but that rule has since been changed. Now it doesn't matter.Could it have been changed to accomodate Sarah? Not that it matters since she seems to be doing most of the detours.

IJustLikeTivo
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Also, Peter...what a total a$$hat. I don't much like Sarah (if she whines "I can't do it!" one more time...), but at least I give her credit for overcoming her obstacles.

Agreed, but Sarah is a complete freakin hypocryte. How often in this task and the one where they climbed the great wall did she cry, whine and say she couldn't make it and yet she still rips him a new one for doing the same thing. Gimp heal thyself!

Not only did Peter sit there and watch, he looked about as disinterested as you could possibly look as Sarah was going up the rock. He looked like he was staring at a cloud formation or something. His facial expression said "uh, whatever".

She's not perfect, either...but gets a few dozen or so points from me for being open about how Peter is not exactly what she expected.

I'm not a fan either, but he is in a no win position. When he was all cheerleaderish earlier, she told him she didn't need that but when he doesn't do that he gets yelled at. Frankly, they both went from the early favorite to next in line after the walking stereotypes who just left, thankfully!

IJustLikeTivo
10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
You're not crazy. There originally wasn't a limit, and then they added one. But it appears to be gone again now.

I don't think it's clear if there is a limit or not. All we know for sure is that they no longer talk about it. I have to think it must still be there or they're making some odd choices. e.g. why did so many women do to bow and arrow last week? if the rule is really gone, I think that's really a bad change, lest we forget Zack and crybaby. Had he not done the vast majority they would not have won nor would Chip and Kim and Colin and Christie wouldn't have been second, in each of them the weaker partner did only 1 roadblock.

5thcrewman
10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
They all got a lotta dong this show!

MarkofT
10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. Even if you can't figure out how to row, it's got to be faster than jumping out and towing the boat like that. What a moron. The physics of rowing aren't that difficult. Put the oar in the water and pull, causing your boat to go forward.Forward is correct but with respect to the boat, not the rower. If you row a boat, it moves backwards to your perspective.
The way those boats are designed, it's "put the oar in the water and push".That isn't rowing. Neigher is it paddling. Pushing is not an effective way to move a boat with an oar.
Push, pull, doesn't really matter. Sit on the seat the other way and it's pull instead of push. The point is that it's not hard to figure out how to row. Why those queens couldn't figure it out is beyond me.It is harder then you think as only 1 team, Peter and Sarah, ever actually rowed. Everyone else just paddled rather ineffectively.

Paddling is usually done in a canoe and you move forward with the boat moving forward as well. The motion used is to pull with your lower arm and hold your upper arm straight.

Rowing is done in wider water craft and the motion is to pull the inboard ends toward you against the oarlocks to move the boat forward as the rower faces rearward.

pdhenry
10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
The way those boats are designed, it's "put the oar in the water and push".That isn't rowing. Neigher is it paddling. Pushing is not an effective way to move a boat with an oar.Did you watch the ep? I recall that that is how the locals were doing it (standing up as well). I don't think they were overly concerned with what it's called.

Inundated
10-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm not a fan either, but he is in a no win position. When he was all cheerleaderish earlier, she told him she didn't need that but when he doesn't do that he gets yelled at. Frankly, they both went from the early favorite to next in line after the walking stereotypes who just left, thankfully!

The thing with Sarah is that she may cry and say she can't do it, but she does eventually suck it up and do it.

I agree that both of 'em better figure out the "when do we cheer, when do we shut up" dynamic, but Peter is really, really rubbing me the wrong way.

That "sit back with a Coke" thing...it wasn't that he wasn't actively cheering her on or giving her encouragement. It was that he seemed blatantly DISINTERESTED in his partner's progress. He didn't really even seem like he wanted to be there.

It's that "blank and vacant stare" (thanks, Joules! :up: ) and sociopathic look (thanks again, Joules and my someday-in-the-future TAR partner wendiness!).

Not only does he not seem romantically interested in her, he doesn't seem interested in her at ALL as a person. Or for that matter, anything.

Yeah, I wish they left the Flo rule in place this time.

BRING BACK THE FLO RULE!

TiVo'Brien
10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
....I agree that both of 'em better figure out the "when do we cheer, when do we shut up" dynamic, but Peter is really, really rubbing me the wrong way.Well, at least he's not he's not trying to touch the Vietnamese dong in your pocket. :D

Lee L
10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
I will admit that all of Peters "reaction shots" of kicking back could have been in 2 minutes while Sarah was not even ready to start climbing yet. She could have been putting her harness on for all we know.

They do seem to be doomed from the start. They are just not a good match.

vman
10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
At first I thought that she might actually be better off for this challenge if it has to do with arm strength and if you only need one leg. But as the teams were doing it, it seemed to me that length stength was pretty important, and that it would be very useful to be able to switch out the legs in the stirrup so you didn't have to use one leg the whole way up. Plus the stability factor against the rocks.

DevdogAZ
10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
What happened to the Philiminated teams appearing the next morning on The Early Show? I set up a manual recording for both this show and Survivor and so far I've seen all the Survivor castaways the next morning, but I FF through the whole Monday edition of The Early Show and never see the TAR team. Why did they get rid of this segment?

Jupiterhead
10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
What about this line? It was T or was it T? {at the start of the rope climb}

"This is awful hard on my crotch"! :eek: :eek: Now that's saying something!!

ROFL

Inundated
10-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I will admit that all of Peters "reaction shots" of kicking back could have been in 2 minutes while Sarah was not even ready to start climbing yet. She could have been putting her harness on for all we know.

Oh, of course.

It would show, though, that the producers felt the need to emphasize his vacant stares as being representative of his personality and lack of support for his fellow team member.

(Heck, the "leave her behind in the boat" thing would have shown that all by itself. :D)

MarkofT
10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Did you watch the ep? I recall that that is how the locals were doing it (standing up as well). I don't think they were overly concerned with what it's called.They might have been standing, but they were still pulling when in transit. Pushing would be used for manuvering.

melmitchell
10-16-2006, 03:19 PM

EXACTLY!! She DID offer to do the road block.. and not to defend Peter, b/c he sux, but if he told her she couldnt do the road block he'd have looked equally as jerky for not letting her do it when she offered to.. thats my stance on that..

I Love the Cho's. They are the best equipped for the race.. AND even when they fight, its actually kinda cute, and they never get super mean like al the other teams..

melmitchell
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
My thoughts exactly. If anything, she had an advantage because her artifical leg most likely weighs less than a real one, so it was less weight she had to move up the rope.

- The single moms get more annoying each week. They praise the Kentucky couple because they're helpful and "that's how southern folk are," yet they not only avoid helping other people, but take pleasure in their misfortunes. And enough already, we get that you're doing the race so your kids will be proud of you. I'm not sure they'll care all that much anyway.

Oh MAN, I know! When the brothers car broke down... they flagged the mom's down and the moms COMPLETELY ignored them!!!

Then, about 10 minutes later commented about something "good" they did that their kids would be so proud of... I wonder if they assume their kids wont see them being totally cold to the others in need. Sheesh!!

Magnolia88
10-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh MAN, I know! When the brothers car broke down... they flagged the mom's down and the moms COMPLETELY ignored them!!!

Then, about 10 minutes later commented about something "good" they did that their kids would be so proud of... I wonder if they assume their kids wont see them being totally cold to the others in need. Sheesh!!

What were the moms supposed to do? They couldn't do a single thing to help the brothers.

They didn't see anyone hurt or injured or anything like that. Everyone appeared to be able-bodied and it only appeared that the car was broken down. I don't think the moms are mechanics, so what could they have done? Shouted out, "sucks to be you!" and went on their way? That wouldn't have helped anyone. If it looked like someone was injured, they could have shouted out, "is everyone okay?" but I don't think anyone appeared injured. So I don't see how it was "cold" to continue racing. Because it's a RACE.

melmitchell
10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Possibly.. but they were WAITING for Kentucky when she twisted her ankle. They were gonna just walk slow with them becuase they're friends. It was quite hypocritial.