PDA

View Full Version : CBS pulls plug on ‘Smith,’ making crime drama first fall show to get ax

dswallow
10-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Looks like it's back to movies for Ray Liotta
CBS pulls plug on ‘Smith,’ making crime drama first fall show to get ax
The Associated Press

Updated: 2:58 p.m. ET Oct. 6, 2006

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15159165/

NEW YORK - Here’s something Ray Liotta won’t be putting on their resumes: stars of the first new TV show to bite the dust this fall.

“Smith,” the Tuesday night CBS drama with Liotta leading a band of high-stakes thieves, is off the schedule, the network said Friday. It will be replaced temporarily by reruns of “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Criminal Minds.”

[...]

MikeMar
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Networks don’t like to use the word “cancel” — it sounds so messy — but the show’s producers have been given no promise that it will return.

so will it finish out the season? cause I LOVE this show!!!

Ray Liotta, Amy Smart, great show!

terpfan1980
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought the show was ok, but I dropped the SP on it after the second episode was recorded strictly over my frustration with CBS handling of football over-runs (along with eliminating a few other CBS programs from my season pass list).

I wish I had picked this one in the BrilliantButCancelled death pool, but oh well. I'll have to get the next one right.

(The poor folks that have picked against Kidnapped and Happy Hour have to keep waiting as those shows aren't officially dead and are instead considered in comas.)

wmm_16
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Crap! I like this show.

Lee L
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I guess I have no reason to go watch teh 3 episodes I have in my NPL then. ;)

classicX
10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
durn. I liked this show. But then again, I liked Thief also, which was the same type of show, and also got cancelled.

This is why I hate serialized shows like this, it's hard for new viewers to get into, so they judge them based on the premiere.

The most successful shows are ones that start off as standalone episodes, but become serialized over time, giving the show time to build an audience. (i.e. Smallville)

jlb
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Well, I guess I have no reason to go watch teh 3 episodes I have in my NPL then. ;)

+1

Sadara
10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I've watched it up till now, will continue to if they decide to clean up the story line for us. I'm a little disappointed, but I can live without this show.

jschuur
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I liked Thief, liked Heist, liked Smith, but I held off watching the last episode until more news about the show's fate came out.

I won't miss it terribly, but would have kept watching it.

Rob Helmerichs
10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I thought the show was ok, but I dropped the SP on it after the second episode was recorded strictly over my frustration with CBS handling of football over-runs (along with eliminating a few other CBS programs from my season pass list).
Dang, I must have missed the Sunday night episode that ran over because of football...

terpfan1980
10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Dang, I must have missed the Sunday night episode that ran over because of football...

I stated it clearly enough to get the point across. If CBS doesn't care enough about my viewing habits and convenience, then why should I be concerned about any of their shows? Smith became a casualty to me after twice getting burned on Amazing Race.

Along the way I also nuked SPs for TAR, Numb3rs, The Unit and some other CBS shows. Granted, those shows don't all air on Sunday nights, but again, I'm not gonna reward CBS with viewers for shows on other nites when I'm pretty pissed at them for their Sunday night hijinks. :mad:

phox_mulder
10-06-2006, 04:19 PM
so will it finish out the season? cause I LOVE this show!!!

Looks like it's dead-dead.

They've already killed next week's airing (10-10), putting in a repeat of CSI,
and the next 2 weeks (10-17/10-24) putting in repeats of Criminal Minds.

I'm guessing it will be rotating CSI/CSI:Miami/CSI:NY repeats during November sweeps,
or maybe a 48 Hours Mysteries.

phox

laststarfighter
10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
You guys need to move to the West Coast. :p

MikeMar
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Looks like it's dead-dead.

They've already killed next week's airing (10-10), putting in a repeat of CSI,
and the next 2 weeks (10-17/10-24) putting in repeats of Criminal Minds.

I'm guessing it will be rotating CSI/CSI:Miami/CSI:NY repeats during November sweeps,
or maybe a 48 Hours Mysteries.

phox

freaking ridiculous!!! such a great show!!!!

They most likely have already filmed at least some other episodes right? can't they air them at like 1 am or something!?!?!?!

dimented
10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
freaking ridiculous!!! such a great show!!!!

They most likely have already filmed at least some other episodes right? can't they air them at like 1 am or something!?!?!?!

That is what I hate when they cancel these shows so early. Some of us are interested in it. The least they could do is burn off the remaining shows they already have in the can.

Rob Helmerichs
10-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I stated it clearly enough to get the point across. If CBS doesn't care enough about my viewing habits and convenience, then why should I be concerned about any of their shows? Smith became a casualty to me after twice getting burned on Amazing Race.

Along the way I also nuked SPs for TAR, Numb3rs, The Unit and some other CBS shows. Granted, those shows don't all air on Sunday nights, but again, I'm not gonna reward CBS with viewers for shows on other nites when I'm pretty pissed at them for their Sunday night hijinks. :mad:
But that strategy seems to be exactly the opposite of sensible. If we don't watch their Sunday shows, then they will notice that they're losing viewers on Sunday, and maybe they should do something about it. If we stop watching all their shows, then they have no clue what they're doing wrong.

TIVOSciolist
10-06-2006, 04:30 PM
CBS pulls plug on ‘Smith,’ making crime drama first fall show to get ax

So who won the betting pool?

pmyers
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
wow....after only 3 episodes? I thought it was pretty good.

terpfan1980
10-06-2006, 04:40 PM
But that strategy seems to be exactly the opposite of sensible. If we don't watch their Sunday shows, then they will notice that they're losing viewers on Sunday, and maybe they should do something about it. If we stop watching all their shows, then they have no clue what they're doing wrong.

Given the fuss here and in other places I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing wrong but just don't care.

That being the case, I don't care about their mediocre efforts at entertaining me. There are other choices for similar programming and I'll take advantage of that.

Am I sad that shows that I might have liked lose viewers and potentially wind up cancelled (as happened with Smith)? Perhaps, but I'm not worried enough about that many shows on the CBS slate to shed any tears.

Rob Helmerichs
10-06-2006, 04:41 PM
So, basically you have issues that go beyond Sunday football and CBS.

OK, glad we cleared that up!

Werd2406
10-06-2006, 05:05 PM
The show sucked. Tried to be a Sopranos but seemed to forget that we really don't care if they're getting their prize or not, especially if they kill innocent people during it....lame show

MacThor
10-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't think they cancelled it because DVR owners upset with football runovers were boycotting their other shows........

bidger
10-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't be quite as harsh as Werd2406, but the one episode I did watch, 2nd one, had the stupidest motorcycle chase scene and seemed so over the top that I didn't really consider going back.

I would agree that a crime show centering on the criminals on broadcast network TV will be watered down in contrast to what you would see for an equivalent show on premium channels.

Dan203
10-06-2006, 06:08 PM
I didn't have high hopes for this one lasting, but I enjoyed the episodes thus far. I'll watch the remaining episodes if they decide to burn them off at the end of the season.

Dan

anom
10-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm a little surprised. This show had the highest profile cast of any of the new series. I guess the flip side of that it was probably pretty expensive to produce- in addition to two fairly big name stars, the production values were very good. I guess that drove the decision to drop it rather than be patient and let it build an audience or try another time slot.

RunnerFL
10-06-2006, 06:16 PM
That is what I hate when they cancel these shows so early. Some of us are interested in it. The least they could do is burn off the remaining shows they already have in the can.

That's why you TiVo the shows for a few weeks and don't start watching them until you know the show is safe from cancellation.

I learned that last year with Reunion. I was recording Smith, as well as others, but not watching them to see how long they last.

DLiquid
10-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I guess I have no reason to go watch teh 3 episodes I have in my NPL then. ;)Yep, I watched one so I think I just have two to delete. I don't know, this show just didn't grab me.

This show had the highest profile cast of any of the new series.You think? Brothers & Sisters has: Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Balthazar Getty, and Patricia Wettig.

newsposter
10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
You guys need to move to the West Coast. :p

and watch everything 3 hours late? how can you watch dick clark at 9pm and think it's new years there? Or does dick do that again for you? :)

And i'm no sports guy but that would bug me watching that early..or setting my fantasy baseball at 405pm intstead of 705 when im home

Delta13
10-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Gee, ya think they maybe, I don't know - timeshift the New Years show? You do know that only the Eastern time zone gets it live and on time, right? There's a whole country out here that doesn't live in Boston-Philadelphia-New York.

As for sports - I like my Sunday/Monday Night football ending well before midnight. How can you stay up that late?

As for Smith, it didn't appear that it mattered what time zone you were in. Not that many were watching it. I believe it finished 3rd in its time slot all 3 weeks it aired, with only 8.3 million viewers last time. Last in its slot in the 18-49 demo. And not heading up.

I liked the show, but you could see the serious flaws. They've been mentioned here and other places. Maybe they should have moved it against Kidnapped on Saturday nights and seen what happens? :)

GadgetFreak
10-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Yep, I watched one so I think I just have two to delete. I don't know, this show just didn't grab me.

You think? Brothers & Sisters has: Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Balthazar Getty, and Patricia Wettig.

plus Sloane from Alias and code name viper (for the pilot anyway)

vikingguy
10-06-2006, 10:54 PM
That sucks for fans of the show I know how you feel it seems every year I fall in love with a show then it gets cancelled.

pdhenry
10-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Well, I guess I have no reason to go watch teh 3 episodes I have in my NPL then. ;)Watch the first one anyway. It's not bad as a standalone.

BrettStah
10-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I may be mistaken, but unless you are an official ratings family household, CBS and the other networks have no idea what shows you watch, don't watch, etc.

newsposter
10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
yes you can watch it... only found this thread 1/2 way thru watching this weeks ep and I still enjoyed it. The eps have some standalone as well as continual plots

newsposter
10-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Gee, ya think they maybe, I don't know - timeshift the New Years show? You do know that only the Eastern time zone gets it live and on time, right?
As for sports - I like my Sunday/Monday Night football ending well before midnight. How can you stay up that late?

that's so improper and impure..timeshifting dick clark and a live event such as newyears...i had no idea that they delayed it for you guys out west and just assumed you never saw it. They show your 9pm parties here and i figured they would show our 12am parties there.

Yes i know eastern gets everything live because the world revolves around us...thankfully :)

as i posted, i dont watch sports so i dont care about fball. Alternatively , one might ask how you get up that early to watch a 10 am game or avoid conflicts with church etc :) (or even watch MNF at what..530pm when you are commuting home from work?) It took me an episode of the Simpsons years ago to even understand how homer could be listening to football in church on his radio. Then i figured it out...doh!

bicker
10-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I may be mistaken, but unless you are an official ratings family household, CBS and the other networks have no idea what shows you watch, don't watch, etc.Indeed. I suppose the logic is that Nielsen households are a reflection of the general public, and they are, but we here in this forum aren't. If there is one home out of every 4000 they monitor that is "just like us" it would be remarkable.

BTW: Smith was cancelled. Kidnapped is the show that will be allowed to continue to the end of its story. I think that's a deliberate courtesy being shown viewers of serial programs... that they're not going to "pull a Reunion" on us. Smith wasn't strictly a serial program -- it was supposed to be such that you could watch each episode stand-alone.

Rob Helmerichs
10-07-2006, 10:12 AM
BTW: Smith was cancelled. Kidnapped is the show that will be allowed to continue to the end of its story. I think that's a deliberate courtesy being shown viewers of serial programs... that they're not going to "pull a Reunion" on us. Smith wasn't strictly a serial program -- it was supposed to be such that you could watch each episode stand-alone.
I think it's also a case of NBC vs, well, everybody else. I think NBC tends to give shows more of a chance. And if Kidnapped should soar in the ratings while it plays out its 13 episodes, you can bet it will be back.

marksman
10-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I got 3 episodes on my tivo. Have not watched it yet. Was looking forward to this show in the summer, but I have so many other shows to watch, I am guessing I will just delete them.