PDA

View Full Version : Blade: The Series cancelled

hanumang
09-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Apparently so. (http://www.superherohype.com/news/bladenews.php?id=4756)

If it's true, this sucks. I thought the show had developed well. Heard the ratings weren't that hot as the season progressed though...

vikingguy
09-30-2006, 05:13 PM
That really pisses me off big time I was really liking the show. Once the show got past the pilot it started to get better and better each week. I was really into it the last few episodes to bad people are so impatient these days and give up on shows so fast. With blade and sg-1 gone I will have a lot less tv to watch in the summer. I hope the writers of the show get another chance with a bigger budget and better actors on a major network. Because they did an incredible job weaving a great story. I swear this happens to me every tv season I fall in love with a new show and it is ripped away.

Bierboy
09-30-2006, 05:21 PM
This seems odd. I thought it was one of the higher rated shows this past summer on Spike?

Rob Helmerichs
09-30-2006, 05:36 PM
"Cancelled" not in the sense of cancelled, but in the sense of not renewed.

Too bad--it had a lot of promise, and got better and better as it progressed.

itstrue
09-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Really bad news, this show was a real surprise favorite for me. It seemed like Spike suddenly stopped promoting it after the first few episodes. I'll miss it.

Bierboy
09-30-2006, 05:42 PM
"Cancelled" not in the sense of cancelled, but in the sense of not renewed...I'm puzzled; what's the difference?

RunnerFL
09-30-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm puzzled; what's the difference?

Cancelled - Stopped mid production and immediately taken off the air.

Non-Renewed - Completed it's first season and not signed on for a 2nd season.

hanumang
09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm puzzled; what's the difference?

Cancelled, in TV programming parlance, means a show is being taken off the air in season, never to return. (aka you don't get to see all the episodes produced)

Not renewed, on the other hand, means that a show has run it's course for 1 (or more) season(s) and is, well, not brought back for another season. (but you've at least seen all the episodes produced)

(So, yes, Rob is correct)

MikeMar
09-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I couldn't get into this one, watched 2 eps and just didn't feel it, sorry

Bierboy
09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Cancelled, in TV programming parlance, means a show is being taken off the air in season, never to return. (aka you don't get to see all the episodes produced)

Not renewed, on the other hand, means that a show has run it's course for 1 (or more) season(s) and is, well, not brought back for another season. (but you've at least seen all the episodes produced)

(So, yes, Rob is correct)Thank you.
I couldn't get into this one, watched 2 eps and just didn't feel it, sorryIt got better as the season wore on.

Rob Helmerichs
09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
I couldn't get into this one, watched 2 eps and just didn't feel it, sorry
I suspect that was the problem--by the time the show got rolling, too many people had already given up.

MickeS
09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
CRAP! I was already looking forward to this show's second season. Damn... really disapppointed. :(

Bierboy
09-30-2006, 07:15 PM
This would be prime series for SciFi to pick up.

RunnerFL
09-30-2006, 07:36 PM
This would be prime series for SciFi to pick up.

If it didn't do well enough for Spike to keep it then I'm sure it wouldn't do well on Sci-Fi either.

jschuur
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
If it didn't do well enough for Spike to keep it then I'm sure it wouldn't do well on Sci-Fi either.
That, and it dosn't involve dragons, wrestlers or scenes that require medieval village sets in the forrest around Vancouver.

Rob Helmerichs
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
That, and it dosn't involve dragons, wrestlers or scenes that require medieval village sets in the forrest around Vancouver.
Hmmm, I just got a really scary image of what to expect in the new season of Battlestar Galactica...

:D

packerfan
09-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Not sad to see it go. This show sucked.........pun intended.

jimborst
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
It seemed like Spike suddenly stopped promoting it after the first few episodes.

Usually I will watch some ST:TNG during the afternoon , and I thought Spike was doing nothing but promos for Blade.

MickeS
09-30-2006, 10:09 PM

Hey, they could have had Blade relocate to Vancouver... the last episode took place in Canada anyway. :)

I'm still holding out hope that it will show up on some other network...

MikeSh
10-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry to see it go, it had everything I like in a show, TAB&G.

Fool Me Twice
10-01-2006, 02:55 AM
http://static.flickr.com/35/68856404_b0309923b4_o.jpg http://smu.edu/alec/pics/ampersand.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Kenny_G_album_cover.jpg/200px-Kenny_G_album_cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Question_mark.svg/100px-

Mike10
10-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey, they could have had Blade relocate to Vancouver... the last episode took place in Canada anyway. :)

That would be easy to do since it was filmed in Vancouver

cheesesteak
10-01-2006, 06:10 AM
This is one of the dumber non-renewals that I know of. This show actually became pretty damn good as it progressed. There must be a lot of competition for network executive jobs. Apparently the only qualifications are stupidity and short sightedness.

super dave
10-01-2006, 08:43 AM
This show even had Stern talking it up, so I figured the ratings would have risen at the end. And how can they rate a show when the repeat it a few dozen times during the week?

jones07
10-01-2006, 12:54 PM
How many episodes was shown in season1?
My HTPC blew more then a few recordings and I was hoping the see them again in the build up for season 2

hanumang
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
How many episodes was shown in season1?

jones07
10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you

hanumang
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I must correct myself - it was "13 hours" in season 1, but there were only 12 episodes, as such, since the pilot was 2 hours.

Rkkeller
10-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I saw it coming.

tsings31
10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, but not too surprised.

Sirius Black
10-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, I just got a really scary image of what to expect in the new season of Battlestar Galactica...

:D

I would have no problem if Starbuck and Boomer wrestled. No problem at all. :D

Wrestling. Possibly involving mud or jello would sweeten the deal (no pun intended).

uh... sorry for the threadjack.

I watched an episode of this show later in the series run. I did find it interesting but as the season was almost over, there was little chance of me jumping into the game midstream.

Stormspace
10-03-2006, 10:33 AM
This show even had Stern talking it up, so I figured the ratings would have risen at the end. And how can they rate a show when the repeat it a few dozen times during the week?

Who listens to Stern anymore? Since he withdrew from the public onto that paid network his ratings have plummeted. He's getting less exposure now than ever and certainly the younger audience the show is targeted to aren't paying for radio.

gchance
10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
You know, I never really got into Blade. Mainly in the two or three episodes I saw, all I could think of was how much better Highlander would have been, had they been able to do what they do with Blade.

Greg

b5ver
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM

Definitely remains to be seen now that SCIFI has picked up "Threshold". It's even showed the unaired version (or will show) Night Stalker as well

choccy
10-03-2006, 12:26 PM

I believe they add the ratings for all the showings of the episode that week together, on the assumption the same people aren't watching it more than one time that week.

We have all 13 episodes on TiVo. I suppose they'll get watched eventually.

itstrue
10-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Who listens to Stern anymore? Since he withdrew from the public onto that paid network his ratings have plummeted. He's getting less exposure now than ever and certainly the younger audience the show is targeted to aren't paying for radio.

I listen, and it's better than ever. And there are no ratings on satellite radio. And Sirius has gained over 2 million subscribers since his show began airing there. Don't make it out to be a failure just because you're not buying it.

Don't mean to extend an off-topic discussion, but this uninformed opinion needed a rebuttal.

Stormspace
10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I listen, and it's better than ever. And there are no ratings on satellite radio. And Sirius has gained over 2 million subscribers since his show began airing there. Don't make it out to be a failure just because you're not buying it.

Don't mean to extend an off-topic discussion, but this uninformed opinion needed a rebuttal.

So what you're saying is that the number of listeners has increased since his departure from free radio? I don't think so. I do think you are correct that subs with Sirius have increased, but hardly enough to offset the listening public.

My opinion is backed up here.

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=112043

It's not a huge surprise spots are cheaper on Sirius, given Sirius' 4.7 million subscribers as of midyear. But exactly how much smaller is his Sirius audience than the crowd of 7 million listeners he drew on terrestrial? No one knows, because no one knows how many are listening to his satellite program, which also, of course, makes a cost-per-thousand comparison impossible. And it seems even the all-powerful Mr. Stern isn't above the accountability required to play in today's media world.

Even if all 4.7 were listening it's still smaller than his old audience. Who's uninformed now? :)

Edit: I did read further into the article and they mentioned that the acceptable percentage of 58% listens to the broadcast and accounting for two people per Sirius account that's still only 5 mil. In any case it's a smaller audience.

itstrue
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
So what you're saying is that the number of listeners has increased since his departure from free radio?

Where did I say that?

Here's what I am saying...

Stern himself has already been paid so it is not a failure for him.
Sirius has more subscribers so it is not a failure for them.
Stern fans have an uncensored product with 75% fewer commercials so it is not a failure for them.
The only ones who seem to be unhappy with his decision are former listeners who don't want to buy satellite and radio execs. If you want to talk about lost ratings and revenue, check out the performance of Stern's replacments in most markets.
Satellite radio is a different business model than "free" radio, based on subscribers. To compare the two is apples and oranges. Stern's job is no longer pleasing advertisers and getting ratings, his only responsibility now is to his audience. The article you cite is, in my opinion, one of many designed to perpetuate the myth that Stern is failing, an opinion terrestrial radio wants the public to believe. I meant no insult by saying "uninformed", but if one hears only one side of the story it is easy to deride his decision. Or maybe you just don't like Stern. Whatever, I 've had my say. :) I again apologize for extending an OT discussion.

Stormspace
10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Where did I say that?

Here's what I am saying...

Stern himself has already been paid so it is not a failure for him.
Sirius has more subscribers so it is not a failure for them.
Stern fans have an uncensored product with 75% fewer commercials so it is not a failure for them.
The only ones who seem to be unhappy with his decision are former listeners who don't want to buy satellite and radio execs. If you want to talk about lost ratings and revenue, check out the performance of Stern's replacments in most markets.
Satellite radio is a different business model than "free" radio, based on subscribers. To compare the two is apples and oranges. Stern's job is no longer pleasing advertisers and getting ratings, his only responsibility now is to his audience. The article you cite is, in my opinion, one of many designed to perpetuate the myth that Stern is failing, an opinion terrestrial radio wants the public to believe. I meant no insult by saying "uninformed", but if one hears only one side of the story it is easy to deride his decision. Or maybe you just don't like Stern. Whatever, I 've had my say. :) I again apologize for extending an OT discussion.

My original comment was only that his universe is much smaller now, so any comments he makes are likely going to have less impact than before, that's all. His audience is smaller and whether I like him or not falling ad rates support the statement. That doesn't mean he isn't a success however.

fmowry
10-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Stormspace,
Blade debuted with only 2.5 million viewers. Stern listeners could easily make a break a series with such small numbers dictating success or failure.

Frank

Stormspace
10-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Stormspace,
Blade debuted with only 2.5 million viewers. Stern listeners could easily make a break a series with such small numbers dictating success or failure.

Frank

I completely agree with you. My comment was that I didn't think that Blades target demographic subscribed to satellite radio, so Sterns comments would fall on deaf ears.

I'm only guessing, but I think if we could find a study about Sat subscribers we'd find that people who travel or commute for long distances make up the majority of the subscribers and that these people don't watch much television. Admittedly, it's only a gut feeling, but any impact from Stern will be minimal at best. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 200,000 additional watchers might be generated by his comments. I'd like to see some hard statistics though if they were available. Since obviously the plugs didn't help and the show is going away I bet I'm closer than others on his impact.

super dave
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
I am one of the 5.1 million Sirius subs, I got it when HS mentioned he was going. I don't drive around for hours. I now have 3 radios/subs. I was watching Blade before Howard mentioned it. I have a DVR so I am picky about what I watch, but I do get my fill of TV. I doubt I am alone in this.

Stormspace
10-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I am one of the 5.1 million Sirius subs, I got it when HS mentioned he was going. I don't drive around for hours. I now have 3 radios/subs. I was watching Blade before Howard mentioned it. I have a DVR so I am picky about what I watch, but I do get my fill of TV. I doubt I am alone in this.

For Sirius sake I hope you are alone in this unless each of your subs has a separate listener, otherwise that would cut their audience by two-thirds. :eek: