PDA

View Full Version : Smallville - 9/28/06 - "Zod"

IndyJones1023
09-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Pretty damn good for TV proportions. I loved the "Kneel before Zod" nod and the hand hold homage to SII. Good stuff! I liked how everything was wrapped up.

Graymalkin
09-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, this was a season premiere that did not suck.

Looks like the romantic lines are being drawn. Lana's out. Chloe's out (having found Iceman). Clark getting chummy with Lois -- sorta.

TonyD79
09-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Actually, it is Iceman's twin brother.

I loved it. The battle, though brief, was pretty damn good. It actually felt like two titans were fighting. The rock getting pulverized under Clark was terrific.

They wrapped up some threads, opened some new ones and it made sense (well, except for the "surprises" they planted at the end).

And real actual evil. The plunging of the poker into Lana's hand was surprising and made sense for a bad, bad guy.

Now, this is good Smallville.

Oh, and I liked the little touches "See you later, CK!"

scheckeNYK
09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
The CG Terrence Stamp was a major mark out moment for me. That hairline was the first thing that caught my eye, and I played it back at least 2 or 3 times. For a second I thought the girl in the PZ was Justine Bateman. How funny would that cameo have been!?!

busyba
09-28-2006, 11:16 PM
I think I enjoyed watching Lana get impaled a little too much. I must have replayed that 4 or 5 times. :)

Can someone remind me the context in which we met Jimmy Olsen before this episode?

The crystal had the proper "S" Superman logo, not the "8" logo that we've usually seen as the mark of the House of El. Was that the first time we saw that?

For a second I thought the girl in the PZ was Justine Bateman. How funny would that cameo have been!?!
I don't get the reference.

atrac
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
For a second I thought the girl in the PZ was Justine Bateman. How funny would that cameo have been!?!

..because she played a Kryptonian in "Lois & Clark?" :)

I wonder how many people in the world think that the guy that plays Jimmy Olsen is the same guy that plays Iceman in the "X-Men" movies? ;)

I enjoyed the episode. Pretty entertaining. I'm confused though because I thought humans and not just demon creatures got sucked out of The Phantom Zone with Clark? I guess we've only seen one and it was a demon, but there may be others.

"General Zod does not take orders...he gives them." Another cute SII reference.

busyba
09-28-2006, 11:50 PM
"General Zod does not take orders...he gives them." Another cute SII reference.
I was wating for Lana to say, "Oh my God" only to have Lex correct her, "That's Zod." :D

Tangent
09-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Can someone remind me the context in which we met Jimmy Olsen before this episode?

I don't think we ever actually saw him, but Chloe revealed that Jimmy was who she lost her virginity to during her internship at the Daily Planet.

betts4
09-29-2006, 05:22 AM
I liked the episode a lot - ditto on liking Lana's hand getting impaled a little too much. Enough SII references to make me happy. Loved the shots of CK and Zod going toe to toe and destroying trees and ground in their battle.

But also was waiting for Clark to put the S symbol around his neck, the baseball cap on sideways and say "Bling, Bling!".

IndyJones1023
09-29-2006, 06:13 AM
I thought is was Iceman. But then I thought "hmmm, something's not right with his face." I didn't know he had a twin brother.

painkiller
09-29-2006, 06:22 AM
I just have to step in and also proclaim my enthusiasm for this 6th Season opener. Loved it.

The visuals, action, dialogue. To me at least, this episode ranks as being uppermost Smallville.

Can't wait to see how this season progresses.

jlb
09-29-2006, 06:33 AM
+100

ChickenCheese
09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Just a small nitpick, but how did Martha and Lois survive a plan crash??! :rolleyes:

Figaro
09-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Iceman has actually already been on Smallville twice, so I guess that's why they had to get his brother.

As for the episode itself I thought it was terrible. Just when you thought the acting couldn't get any worse it does. Michael Rosenbaum is usually a reason to watch this show but he was horrible in it. Once again Lana is beaten to a pulp yet at the end she doesn't have a mark on her except for the hand wound.

This show just needs to be ended. It's been spinning it's wheels for two years now. Put a Kryptonite bullet in it.

Wow they really shook up the plot planning magic eight ball for next week. Lex get's kidnapped again!

flyers088
09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Loved how they started this season. Bring on the season finale!!!

bobcarn
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
OK. As much as I disagreed with a lot of stuff they were doing in the past, this was a totally cool episode! Yeah, there's some sharktank jumping, but all of the good things about the eppy overcomes all that. As much as I like seeing emo Lana getting kicked around, it was getting stale. But certain things were truly neat!

I liked how Jor-el is finally coming to light as a good guy. I liked how in his farewell to Martha, he acknowledges that he couldn't wish for anyone better to raise his son. I liked how Clark is starting to see his father in the right light too.

It was also nice that you really couldn't tell if the girl in the phantom zone was good or bad until she proved herself to be good.

And the phantom zone!!!! Totally cool that we not only get a glimpse of the inside of that plane that whisks them away, but actually get to see the phantom zone itself!

All in all.... :up: :up: :up:

IndyJones1023
09-29-2006, 08:35 AM
No need for spoilers.

balboa dave
09-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Just a small nitpick, but how did Martha and Lois survive a plan crash??! :rolleyes:Because as he said, Jor-El brought them to the Fortress, but then, maybe being smug is more fun than paying attention to the show. ;)

TAsunder
09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Anyone who hates bad acting and still watches this show must be some sort of masochist. Why complain about acting when it's always bad? Jeez.

I thought this was one of the better episodes in the entire series. For once, clark did not defeat the enemy through luck, but through his own cunning. I really like that... I'm tired of, whoops I impaled you with this magic spiked ball.

Where were aquaman and the flash when we needed them? Jerks.

PeternJim
09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Fantastic episode -- great start to a new season!

I replayed a couple times, but I didn't see Zod actually leave Lex's body. Anyone else for the theory that Zod has been bound, but isn't destroyed? For that matter, we saw the two people in the Phantom Zone get knifed, but didn't necessarily see them die. The Phantom Zone being what it is, maybe they can't die there. (Just hurt a lot - it was still a sacrifice.)

And anyone else for the theory that Jor-El and the fortress are not as "dead" as we are supposed to think? I suppose Lionel could be writing Kryptonian from suppressed memories. Maybe the Fortress will reboot from the back-up "nice dad" persona.

I agree, Lana is out, but this also went a long way to get her back to being willing to be friends with Clark. There has to be some "if only I had trusted you" stuff going on for her.

Interesting move for Jimmy Olsen to be effectively the same age as Clark. That is a major shift from the traditional. (Though, as mentioned earlier in the thread, not news. Just more real now that we've actually met him.)

Figaro
09-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Because as he said, Jor-El brought them to the Fortress, but then, maybe being smug is more fun than paying attention to the show. ;)
When did Jor-El bring them to the fortress? Fine was flying them there and then he was destroyed. Martha walked there dragging Lois.

Yes I guess I am a bit of a masochist. The show is awful but the fanboy in me keeps hoping that something good will come of it so I keep watching.

2DoubleDown7
09-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Lana -- "Hey Mrs. Kent, Lionel....

Where'd you get that trusty blade with the alien symbols on it??

Give it to me to do the deed."

Just once...I want her to ask!!

Otherwise - love this show!

5thcrewman
09-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Is there enough Braniac left in the half of the 'alien hard drive' that Lex was playing with at the end for him to do a BMR?

TAsunder
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
When did Jor-El bring them to the fortress? Fine was flying them there and then he was destroyed. Martha walked there dragging Lois.

We don't know what happened on the plante once fine was erradicated. I believe the implication is that jor-el magic fortress did some magic to drag the plane over yonder.

bobcarn
09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I replayed a couple times, but I didn't see Zod actually leave Lex's body. Anyone else for the theory that Zod has been bound, but isn't destroyed? For that matter, we saw the two people in the Phantom Zone get knifed, but didn't necessarily see them die. The Phantom Zone being what it is, maybe they can't die there. (Just hurt a lot - it was still a sacrifice.)

I thought I saw his essence leave Lex's body and get whisked up into the phantom zone again. I'll replay it tonight, but that's the impression I first got. I also thought for a moment that when you saw his essence leave Lex, it may have looked like what Zod really looks like, as opposed to just a likeness of Lex.

Figaro
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I thought I saw his essence leave Lex's body and get whisked up into the phantom zone again. I'll replay it tonight, but that's the impression I first got. I also thought for a moment that when you saw his essence leave Lex, it may have looked like what Zod really looks like, as opposed to just a likeness of Lex.
didn't it get whisked into the amulet that Clark had turning it black in the process?

scheckeNYK
09-29-2006, 11:07 AM

it 1000% was exactly that. If you couldn't tell that the "real" Zod looked exactly like Terrence Stamp from SII, then I don't know what you were watching. It was really obvious that this was a throwback to the original Zod character from the movie. I don't even get the CW in HD and I was able to see this.

TAsunder
09-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't say it looked EXACLTY like him. He looked a little fatter in the face. Maybe just because it was stretchy and gooey.

scheckeNYK
09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
full beard, slicked back black hair with receding hairline. pretty much Zod from the movies as I know him. If it wasn't an exact CG replica, it was intended to evoke the same feeling.

PeternJim
09-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I rewatched, and no, Zod did not leave Lex's body, but got sucked back into Lex while the amulet was still glowing, then Lex keeled over, the amulet fell off leaving a Superman Logo burn on Lex, that healed immediately, but the amulet had gone to black.

So, either 1) Zod is destroyed utterly , 2) Zod is still in Lex, but bound somehow , or 3) Zod got sucked into the amulet, which is now stored in the Fortress for safe keeping.

Meanwhile, unless I missed something, all the pieces of the doohickey made out of the Black Ship are still in Lex's office, so once the maid sweeps them all up.......

I did notice something else when I rewatched. We did notice the first time that when Clark escaped, there were 7 dots of light that popped out of the sky, one of which was Clark meteoring to earth. What I missed last night (at the time I only saw three shapes get sucked in with Clark on the Phantom Zone side) is that just at the last minute of the fight, three phantoms joined the fight with the three Kryptonians. That, along with the "their corporeal bodies were destroyed but their spirits were imprisoned here" thing, leads me to believe that what came out was Clark, three Kryptonian Phantoms, 1 perfectly healthy Kryptonian with a body (presumably Aethyr, Nam-Ek's pal from "Arrival"), 2 Kryptonians who were very recently knifed, but may or may not be dead (Nam-Ek and Raya) who would therefore either super-heal or be additional phantoms.

Given that Kryptonian phantoms can posess humans and give their bodies Kryptonian powers, I think I see an ongoing subplot for the series. Does Clark know he's not the only one who made it out? And did the door to the phantom zone lock behind him? For that matter, I can see Raya making the supreme sacrifice to repower the Fortress ("to continue Jor-El's work") -- or at least knowing how to repair the thing before one of the others whacks her.

Anyone else notice how much Raya looked like Kara, the faux-Kryptonian Jor-El made to seduce Clark to the Krypton side of the Force? Or that Raya was "one of" Jor-El's assistants, but apparently the only one he saved? Hmm....

I think they've done a nicely juicy thing throwing a whole new set of possibilities into the series. I'm just very glad that they didn't let Zod get further with the "heir" thing with Lana, so we don't have to go through the seriously tired "Oh my God, I have an alien baby inside me" subplot. Which I still wouldn't put into the "won't ever happen" column.

Figaro
09-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I rewatched, and no, Zod did not leave Lex's body, but got sucked back into Lex while the amulet was still glowing, then Lex keeled over, the amulet fell off leaving a Superman Logo burn on Lex, that healed immediately, but the amulet had gone to black.

So, either 1) Zod is destroyed utterly , 2) Zod is still in Lex, but bound somehow , or 3) Zod got sucked into the amulet, which is now stored in the Fortress for safe keeping.

Meanwhile, unless I missed something, all the pieces of the doohickey made out of the Black Ship are still in Lex's office, so once the maid sweeps them all up.......

I did notice something else when I rewatched. We did notice the first time that when Clark escaped, there were 7 dots of light that popped out of the sky, one of which was Clark meteoring to earth. What I missed last night (at the time I only saw three shapes get sucked in with Clark on the Phantom Zone side) is that just at the last minute of the fight, three phantoms joined the fight with the three Kryptonians. That, along with the "their corporeal bodies were destroyed but their spirits were imprisoned here" thing, leads me to believe that what came out was Clark, three Kryptonian Phantoms, 1 perfectly healthy Kryptonian with a body (presumably Aethyr, Nam-Ek's pal from "Arrival"), 2 Kryptonians who were very recently knifed, but may or may not be dead (Nam-Ek and Raya) who would therefore either super-heal or be additional phantoms.

Given that Kryptonian phantoms can posess humans and give their bodies Kryptonian powers, I think I see an ongoing subplot for the series. Does Clark know he's not the only one who made it out? And did the door to the phantom zone lock behind him? For that matter, I can see Raya making the supreme sacrifice to repower the Fortress ("to continue Jor-El's work") -- or at least knowing how to repair the thing before one of the others whacks her.

Anyone else notice how much Raya looked like Kara, the faux-Kryptonian Jor-El made to seduce Clark to the Krypton side of the Force? Or that Raya was "one of" Jor-El's assistants, but apparently the only one he saved? Hmm....

I think they've done a nicely juicy thing throwing a whole new set of possibilities into the series. I'm just very glad that they didn't let Zod get further with the "heir" thing with Lana, so we don't have to go through the seriously tired "Oh my God, I have an alien baby inside me" subplot. Which I still wouldn't put into the "won't ever happen" column.

I thought it was the fact that Brainiac shot Lex up with the Virus that gave him the Kryptonian powers, not the possession by Zod. The virus suping him up made him a suitable vessel for Zod.

Shakhari
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought is was Iceman. But then I thought "hmmm, something's not right with his face." I didn't know he had a twin brother.

I think it was the twin brother, the one who played the drug dealing boyfriend on Veronica Mars.

JimSpence
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
And, since when are the Pentagon satelliteS labelled "US ARMY"?

I have to record Smallville to my DVD recorder's hard drive via WPIX from Dish network, so it's not in HD. I downloaded the HD bit torrent version and it looks much better. I may do this from now on. I noticed that the CW logo is positioned for 4:3 presentation and thus is a bit annoying for 16:9 display. It is also too bright.

IndyJones1023
09-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I noticed that the CW logo is positioned for 4:3 presentation and thus is a bit annoying for 16:9 display. It is also too bright.
Smallville's always been this way. Very annoying.

TonyD79
09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it was the twin brother, the one who played the drug dealing boyfriend on Veronica Mars.

Jimmy Olsen == Aaron Ashmore
Freak of the Week/Iceman == Shawn Ashmore

Credits on the beginning of the show and imdb.com are your friends.

Rob Helmerichs
09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Aaron: "I want more money."

Producer: "You can be replaced. Easily."

Aaron: "... Never mind."

JYoung
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Aaron: "I want more money."

Producer: "You can be replaced. Easily."

Aaron: "... Never mind."

I hear these guys are looking for work:
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/94/03/43m.jpghttp://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/27/60/58m.jpg

TonyD79
09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Pictures didn't work...

Rob Helmerichs
09-29-2006, 05:53 PM
They work for me, but I have no idea who those people are...

JYoung
09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0484678/
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0923529/

willbhome
09-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I wonder how many people in the world think that the guy that plays Jimmy Olsen is the same guy that plays Iceman in the "X-Men" movies? ;)I sure did - had to look it up after a couple of references here.I enjoyed the episode. Pretty entertaining. I'm confused though because I thought humans and not just demon creatures got sucked out of The Phantom Zone with Clark? I guess we've only seen one and it was a demon, but there may be others.I thought I saw two of those spirits sneak out with CK, and nothing/no one else.

GREAT episode! Really impressive!

JimSpence
09-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Smallville's always been this way. Very annoying.This is the first time I've had a chance to see it in 16:9.
I can't wait until all programming is 16:9. :) Yeah, I guess I can since it will be a loooong time.

PJO1966
09-29-2006, 06:53 PM

OMG... there's two of them?

IBIMB

painkiller
09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
I notice not much discussion about the knife that Jor-el gave to Clark to kill Zod.

I thought that when Jor-el was telling Clark about the knife - he also said that it was needed to come back to put back in the Fortress control panel or words to that effect.

And when Zod/Lex broke the blade into pieces, everyone seems to have forgotten it.

Think it's still important?

And perhpas the reason the Fortress is dead/de-activated??

gerrell
09-30-2006, 01:15 AM
They work for me, but I have no idea who those people are...

Jimmy Olsens of years gone by...

danieljanderson
09-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I thought the girl from the phantom zone reminded me of Supergirl. Maybe her spirit will get out someday.

If Lionel remembers how to write Kryptonian, Lex remebers something about Zod.

PeternJim
09-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought it was the fact that Brainiac shot Lex up with the Virus that gave him the Kryptonian powers, not the possession by Zod. The virus suping him up made him a suitable vessel for Zod.

Point taken. I thought the virus was about making sure the Vessel couldn't get sick, and just took for granted that Fine included a little bit of himself in it (the silvery thing that happened when wounds healed.) Lex could heal as a result of the virus, but didn't get further powers until whatever happened with the abduction.

But, powers or not, looks like posession is a real option. And we've seen the transfer of Kryptonian powers to humans (Jonathan Kent, Lionel Luthor, and that Native American kid with the knife, and possibly to Kara, if that was still a human body and not some sort of copy.) Not to mention the remote control that Jor-El seemed to have on Clark's powers, being able to turn them off and on.

Actually, I think they did a good job of leaving the "how" sufficiently vague so they can take things in whatever direction they want. Cool.

PeternJim
09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
If Lionel remembers how to write Kryptonian, Lex remebers something about Zod.

One of the biggest objections I had in the first season was that it was really hard for me to figure out how Lex was going to turn into the evil adult Luthor that we were presumably to expect.

Between the evil "Alexander" persona from when he got split in two, and residual Zod (or even permanently resident Zod), I think my question of how such a relatively nice guy could turn into something that awful is pretty solidly answered.

It also might explain how he becomes a technical genius, assuming that Smallville plans to take him in that direction.

drew2k
09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Just a small nitpick, but how did Martha and Lois survive a plan crash??! :rolleyes:Another nitpick: Why was Clark bleeding when Zod was beating him to a pulp? Clark's skin is indestructible on Earth unless he's exposed to kryptonite, so why did Zod's punches draw blood? I'm pretty sure Clark did not bleed after getting beaten up by a couple of Zod's soldiers last season, so why now?

Figaro
09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Another nitpick: Why was Clark bleeding when Zod was beating him to a pulp? Clark's skin is indestructible on Earth unless he's exposed to kryptonite, so why did Zod's punches draw blood? I'm pretty sure Clark did not bleed after getting beaten up by a couple of Zod's soldiers last season, so why now?

If he is hit hard enough he will bleed.

DevdogAZ
10-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I thought the girl from the phantom zone reminded me of Supergirl. Maybe her spirit will get out someday.
Her spirit did get out, along with everyone else that was involved in that fight.

Kind of lame at the end when it said Iguazu Falls was in Patagonia, Argentina. It's actually on the northern border between Argentina and Brazil, and Patagonia is in the southern part of Argentina.

Not being a comic-book reader, and having not seen Superman II since it was new in the theaters, I didn't catch many of the references and didn't really like the plot. For the majority of the series, the plots have been relatively realistic. Most of the oddities could be explained by the presence of Kryptonite all over the Smallville area. However, now this episode seems to be taking the show into full comic-book mode, which I'm not sure I'm happy about. The CG phantoms were kind of lame, and it appears they're going to play a major role in the future. I also didn't like that Zod seemed to be unwilling to just kill Lana. If he really were as bad as he was made out to be, he wouldn't have hesitated to kill her as soon as she tried to kill him.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed with the episode, but of course I'll still be watching since I haven't missed an episode yet and I'm hooked.

drew2k
10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
If he is hit hard enough he will bleed.Clark's been hit hard dozens, if not hundreds, of times without bleeding. By bullets, by cars, other Kryptonians even.

IndyJones1023
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Clark's been hit hard dozens, if not hundreds, of times without bleeding. By bullets, by cars, other Kryptonians even.
Which is what made this fight so much more intense. Clearly, Zod is Clarks arch-nemesis.

Graymalkin
10-01-2006, 09:44 AM
So if you hit an indestructible object with another indestructible object, one or both of them suddenly become destructible?

vertigo235
10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
When they fight each other, it's like 2 humans fighting each other. Their powers are equal...

Anyhow, it looked to me like Zod went unto the crystal, not into lex at the end.

Figaro
10-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Superman is not indestructible, sufficient force can harm him. He has never been hit as hard repeatedly as he was in this episode.

DevdogAZ
10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I noticed during the Clark/Zod fight that after one of the hits to Clark's face, there was a massive smear of blood on the right side of his mouth. However, the next time we saw his face, it didn't appear there was much blood at all, so I wonder if the quick shot of the blood was a mistake.

TAsunder
10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Don't think it was a mistake, I assumed he had healed up...

Stormspace
10-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I had some video issues with this show. When in the phantom zone whenever the scenes were very bright there was distortion of the picture, the image bent and stuff. It happed frequently during the display of the CW screens as well. Anyone else have this issue?

Stormspace
10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I noticed during the Clark/Zod fight that after one of the hits to Clark's face, there was a massive smear of blood on the right side of his mouth. However, the next time we saw his face, it didn't appear there was much blood at all, so I wonder if the quick shot of the blood was a mistake.

The blood was still there at the corner of his mouth, but wasn't as prominent. I thought he had healed as well.

cyke93
10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
i actually liked this episode.. it seems the first and last episodes of the season are always good .. its just in the middle it gets a little ehh..

i wonder, is this the last season of smallville ?

i thought the show should've ended a while ago but after seeing this episode.. bring it on !! lol

i really wish they would let clark and chloe hook up .. but then again he's meant to be with lois so itll be awkard since they are cousins.

i wasnt a big fan of chloe.. but now i am .. go chloe..

oh and question.. what happened to lana's powers? i remember before she had them.. i forgot what happened with that storyline or did they just try to forget about that..

DevdogAZ
10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Did anyone else think that Chloe had gained a bit of weight over the summer? I didn't notice it so much in her face, but her body seemed to be a little heavier.

Stormspace
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I thought the show was ok, I would have liked it better without the video issues. I wonder if they were due to a severe thunderstorm watch we were under at the time, however the picture was fine except when very bright colors were on the screen.

I'll have to watch it back on my plasma to make certain it wasn't a problem with the set.

jboehm
10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I did anyone else have problems with the audio, especially in the first 1/4? Maybe the problem was with Comcast or the new CW Portland, OR affiliate.

Stormspace
10-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I did anyone else have problems with the audio, especially in the first 1/4? Maybe the problem was with Comcast or the new CW Portland, OR affiliate.

When the picture fuzzed out their was a buzz. Reminded me of old OTA transmissions.

smak
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
i actually liked this episode.. it seems the first and last episodes of the season are always good .. its just in the middle it gets a little ehh..

I was just going to post this. The first and last episodes are usually very good.

And then episodes 2-21 usually vary from suckage to very good also.

And yah, oh man, that CW bug was so annoying where it was.

-smak-

slydog75
10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
This sucks so bad.. CW is the ONLY broadcast OTA channel I cannot get in HD. I'm stuck watching my number one show on TV in Standard def.

Figaro
10-03-2006, 08:08 PM
This sucks so bad.. CW is the ONLY broadcast OTA channel I cannot get in HD. I'm stuck watching my number one show on TV in Standard def.

Smallville is your number one show?

hanumang
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Smallville is your number one show?

Is there any reason it shouldn't be?

Figaro
10-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Probably a few :p ;)

Stormspace
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM

Battlestar Galactica

gchance
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM

You and I are in the same HD boat there. And when I whined about it everyone tried to tell me on this board I was wrong!

Just be happy you have what you have. I don't have FOX in HD either.

Greg

DianaMo
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
CW is the ONLY broadcast OTA channel I cannot get in HD. I'm stuck watching my number one show on TV in Standard def.

Or wait 'til HDnet shows it.

Our local paper's tv listings state that Smallville is in HD, but it doesn't mention that the local station doesn't broadcast it in HD.

BTW, who is taking care of Clark's dog these days? Does Krypto show up in the new series?

Dan203
10-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I had some video issues with this show. When in the phantom zone whenever the scenes were very bright there was distortion of the picture, the image bent and stuff. It happed frequently during the display of the CW screens as well. Anyone else have this issue?

That's usually an indication that your contrast is set too high. CRT sets with their contrast set to high will distort the picture when the scene is really bright.

I liked the episode. However I think the Lana character is getting a little tired. I mean all this really strange stuff happens around her, and Clark is always there to save her, but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet? Come on, she's a college student she couldn't possibly be that stupid.

Dan

Stormspace
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
That's usually an indication that your contrast is set too high. CRT sets with their contrast set to high will distort the picture when the scene is really bright.

Only does it when the CW is broadcasting. Did it again during Veronica Mars during one CW commercial. On any other channel there are no problems. I wonder if the issue is with the local broadcaster.

treyj
10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Okay, I'm sure I missed something obvious, but I need a little clarification about a couple of things on this episode. Sorry this is so late, but I'm just now getting caught up.

1. Did we ever see that girl give Clark the amulet?
2. Is the amulet he handed to Lex/Zod the same one she had? It looked different (his looked all black vs. hers which looked silvery).
3. How did Clark have any idea whatsoever that it would have that effect on Lex/Zod? I can just see Lex/Zod go, "Gee, thanks, this is cool!" and Clark being like "Hmm, that was supposed to eliminate/trap Zod."
4. So Zod went into the amulet? It kind of looked like he went back into Lex.
5. So Lex still has super-healing abilities? I know that was from the thing Braniac gave him, but I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the Zod possession. If so, perhaps he kept some other power(s)?

Other thoughts:
A. Clark saw Lex fly. He must know he can fly if he concentrates. Why is he reluctant?
B. Next week's ep (now the current ep) is super-breath? Weak. That is definitely the lamest power ever.
C. Now that Chloe is getting hooked up, Clark has blown any chance of discovering about the steel/tissue situation. I'm sure she would've helped him figure it out before, but she'd probably not do so now.

ihatecable
10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
C. Now that Chloe is getting hooked up, Clark has blown any chance of discovering about the steel/tissue situation. I'm sure she would've helped him figure it out before, but she'd probably not do so now.Since Zod wanted to procreate with Lana I think it is a safe assumption that this is not an issue. But then again Clark does not know that.

IndyJones1023
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
2. Is the amulet he handed to Lex/Zod the same one she had? It looked different (his looked all black vs. hers which looked silvery).
3. How did Clark have any idea whatsoever that it would have that effect on Lex/Zod? I can just see Lex/Zod go, "Gee, thanks, this is cool!" and Clark being like "Hmm, that was supposed to eliminate/trap Zod."

1) No.
2) It's the same. It just turned black after Zod's soul was trapped inside it.
3) He's smart.
4) He went back into Lex and thru his body and was trapped in the crystal.

Stormspace
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Okay, I'm sure I missed something obvious, but I need a little clarification about a couple of things on this episode. Sorry this is so late, but I'm just now getting caught up.

She handed it to him just before he left.

It turned black as far as I can tell since he only had one.

The girl said that the phantoms/Bad guys couldn't bear the touch of it. Since Zod came from the Zone I guess clark made the leap. Note: Zod isn't gone, he's just not in Lex.

The way I saw it Zod seperated from Lex and fled. That was also him at the end of the show as well, or it could have been one of the others that escaped with Clark.

5. So Lex still has super-healing abilities? I know that was from the thing Braniac gave him, but I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the Zod possession. If so, perhaps he kept some other power(s)?
Lex always has had powers. From the day of the meteor shower he hasn't even been sick. This in itself suggests he gained an unatural ability to fight off infection. He has also survived attempts to poison him. Personally I think he has always had super healing abilities.

Other thoughts:
A. Clark saw Lex fly. He must know he can fly if he concentrates. Why is he reluctant?

He has a fear of flying according to the show. However he doesn't seem to have a fear of falling, he does that quite regularly and twice from orbit.

B. Next week's ep (now the current ep) is super-breath? Weak. That is definitely the lamest power ever.
Not really if you consider how he uses it in the future, but Shhh. I haven't watched all of it yet.

C. Now that Chloe is getting hooked up, Clark has blown any chance of discovering about the steel/tissue situation. I'm sure she would've helped him figure it out before, but she'd probably not do so now.
All he has to do is twitch her direction ans she'll come flying. Chloe is weak for superman. :)

treyj
10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Good answers, thanks everyone. I guess I didn't miss much, I just needed to make some leaps. I don't remember her handing it to him, but I'll assume she did. I'll asssume it turned black, probably due to it either being "used up" or as it now contains Zod (my preference). I remember her saying that the phantom ghosts didn't like it, but bad guys too? How does it know if they're bad? If that were true, then Clark had nothing to fear as it did not harm her from the beginning. I definitely feel that ghost at the end was one of the ghosts from the phantom zone, not Zod. Haven't seen the new ep yet, maybe I'll change my tune about super-breath. :rolleyes: Lex definitely gained super-healing abilities when Braniac created that immunization or whatever. I know he's never gotten sick, but he couldn't instantly heal like that before. Maybe Zod knew of some way to "promote" Lana so they could procreate. After all, Jor-El temporarily promoted Clark's dad (whom I miss).

I still see no good reason why Clark would think the amulet would affect Zod like that.

Stormspace
10-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Zod was in the Zone and Clark released him via Brainiacs trickery. So he couldn't stand the touch of the device. My only question is why are some of the phantom zone inhabitants shown as corporeal and others as grey spirits or phantoms. Perhaps its a function of time spent in the zone? Or maybe everyone has a dual presence in the zone. Don't know but I'm sure we'll find out.

Figaro
10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Zod was in the Zone and Clark released him via Brainiacs trickery. So he couldn't stand the touch of the device. My only question is why are some of the phantom zone inhabitants shown as corporeal and others as grey spirits or phantoms. Perhaps its a function of time spent in the zone? Or maybe everyone has a dual presence in the zone. Don't know but I'm sure we'll find out.

Whatsherface explained that. She said that the worst of the criminals were stripped of their corporeal forms and doomed to be in the zone etc etc..

JYoung
10-06-2006, 02:53 PM
However I think the Lana character is getting a little tired. I mean all this really strange stuff happens around her, and Clark is always there to save her, but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet? Come on, she's a college student she couldn't possibly be that stupid.

Have you not been watching the show??????

;)

Lana: "You put a camera in my room and have taped footage of me changing clothes"

Lex: "I'll remove the camera"

Lana: "Thank you, Lex. I love you because you're always honest with me."

Dan203
10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
So you're saying that she is that stupid then?

Another thing I really hate is the way that Lana looks like she's always right on the verge of crying. I mean is it that hard to smile, or god forbid laugh, every now and then? That's what I like about Chloe, even when they're in mortal danger she's not affraid to crack a joke. :)

Dan