PDA

View Full Version : Eureka 9/21/2006 (S01E12) "H.O.U.S.E. Rules"

Jonathan_S
09-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok, I know we try not to complain too much about the science on this show; but the RTG just bugged me.

1) radioisotope thermoelectric generators are fairly low power devices. The three on Cassini put out about 700 combined watts. That is less than a single 15 amp circuit for your house. The smart home can't possibly be run off that little power.

2) You don't need to access the thermocouples and the plutonium to turn off power to the house. Just disconnect or cut the power lines leading from the generator to the rest of the house.

3) Even if you did pull the thermocouple, it is unlikely to release any plutonium dust, and lump plutonium that is just undergoing natural decay (rather than being in a reactor) isn't likely to be lethal. Certainly not from short (less than a day) exposure.

Idearat
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
My favorite part: The only guy who got killed was the one in the red shirt.

Jonathan_S
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I laughed pretty hard at the Wargames reference.

"B.R.A.D. was built on top of a wargames simulator" - Fargo
"Do you want to play a game?" - S.A.R.A.H.
"No!" - Everybody.

:D

hyimted
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
not a bad episode, but i thought for sure, that when it got hot for fargo and psych chick, that psych chick was gonna strip to her skivvies like alison did in the previous episode. i was so bummed ....

obixman
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
I saw where next weeks show is the last of this season....
ANy word on the renewal or prospects thereof?

Tangent
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
It was fun to spot all the paraphrased HAL quotes like the "I'm sorry <name>, I can't do that" after being asked to open the pod bay/front door...

Domandred
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I laughed pretty hard at the Wargames reference.

"No!" - Everybody.

:D

Yea I laughed hard at that. My wife didn't get the reference.

myriadian
09-27-2006, 02:23 PM
i thought it was another fun episode. i do wish the characters had actually had individual epiphanies though. yeah, the reactor powering the house was wrong and the option for disconnecting it too, but.....well....

i wish they had given henry more dialogue espousing the benefits of pure research. that piece of the show was definitely timely commentary and could have probably brought some of the issues out more for the common people.

i'm getting tired of the stark character. he's frustrated and bitter, i get it. let's just see less of him.

M.

katbug
09-28-2006, 01:05 AM
lol Jonathan, you lost me at RTG. ;0)

So, it was only a matter of time before the house went nuts...didn't we all comment about this episode being in the near future after the very first episode? A little predictable, but interesting how it played out. I loved the reference to War Games, and that everyone in the house got that reference too.

Ok, I'm going to be the first to bring up Frewer's (or whatever his name is) accent again. It never bothered me until it quit bugging everyone here, but the last episode really bugged me and this time I just gave up on trying to understand anything he was saying. I was really hoping that he'd be blown up like the pizza guy. And the unthinkable happened...Jo going for him? Nope, not buying that one! Not even in that extreme situation. Ugh!!!

Am glad that Henry's staying. Hubby and I were discussing as it came on that we were upset that he was leaving, as he was one of the most likable characters on the show. That's when I volunteered the pointless animal hunter to leave. I just don't like him!

Ok, fess up guys...how many of you have eaten cereal with beer poured over it?! I've seen this on other shows...is it really something any of you have done?

RoundBoy
09-28-2006, 06:54 AM
If I had a refigerator that would pour me beer on command ... i would have started with foods in alphabetical order, and coupled them with beer:

Beer + Apples
Beer + Apricots
Beer + Avacados
Beer + ...

I finally watched this episode time shifted, and for some reason, tivo decided to record 5 minutes of ECW, and only 55 minutes of my actual show. What happened after the Gas generator kicked back in ?

pkscout
09-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Ok, I know we try not to complain too much about the science on this show; but the RTG just bugged me.

1) radioisotope thermoelectric generators are fairly low power devices. The three on Cassini put out about 700 combined watts. That is less than a single 15 amp circuit for your house. The smart home can't possibly be run off that little power.

2) You don't need to access the thermocouples and the plutonium to turn off power to the house. Just disconnect or cut the power lines leading from the generator to the rest of the house.

3) Even if you did pull the thermocouple, it is unlikely to release any plutonium dust, and lump plutonium that is just undergoing natural decay (rather than being in a reactor) isn't likely to be lethal. Certainly not from short (less than a day) exposure.

Yes, because all the other science on the show is sooo accurate. :rolleyes: ;)

I'm figuring if they can build a containment chamber for some artifact, create a device that cause people to forget things, build something that rips a hole in space time, etc. that they can either boost the output of these kind of generators or build a smart house that can run on 700 watts of power.

Remember, it is science fiction, so they don't have to get the science right, they just need it to have some kind of basis in reality (at least for me).

TiVo Bum
09-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Ok, fess up guys...how many of you have eaten cereal with beer poured over it?! I've seen this on other shows...is it really something any of you have done?Hate to admit to this but in college (many years ago) on St. Patrick's Day we used to get up at 8am and start the day off with a bowl of Fruit Loops with Budweiser instead of milk. Unfortunately, not the stupidest thing we'd do that day. Was something I seem to remember we saw in a movie but the specific brain cells that retained the movie's name have long since been euthanized. :)

sushikitten
09-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Is Henry staying? When the sheriff and Stark were going on about how they weren't leaving, they panned to Henry and it was like we were waiting for him to say the same thing...but he didn't.

+1 for Jo and animal hunter - WTF? I won't say never but I just don't like that.

Rob Helmerichs
09-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Remember, it is science fiction, so they don't have to get the science right, they just need it to have some kind of basis in reality (at least for me).
I make a distinction between science fiction (fiction rooted in science) and science fantasy (pretending to be science fiction, but no basis in science; e.g., almost every sci-fi TV show ever made). If it's a spectrum, Eureka is about as far to the science fantasy end as you can get. There is no basis in reality whatsoever, and in fact they throw in so many blunders (the whole 10% of the brain thing is an old favorite) that I have to suspect they are either completely scientifically ignorant, or doing it on purpose.

And that's OK, as long as it's entertaining and they don't pretend to actually present good information. In Eureka, they get around it by just not taking anything seriously. In Star Trek, they got around it by speaking in techno-babble gibberish (although that didn't stop the fans from taking it seriously, and coming up with rather bizarre explanations for how the science really does work). Battlestar Galactica is the one that actually bothers me the most, because the science is terrible, but they take it very, very seriously, and in fact the very bad science is at the heart of the show. It took me about a year and a half to learn to accept that BG is not science fiction, that it is pure science fantasy, and to enjoy it on that level. When I recently re-watched the second season on DVD, I liked it a lot more than the first time with that attitude in mind. But it's hard not to feel insulted that they seem to expect us to take the science (e.g., the Spylons, who make absolutely no sense whatsoever) seriously when there's no there there.

Sadara
09-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Animal Hunter and Jo.... *shudder* That last scene with them was pretty hilarious, but the whole idea of those two isn't exciting, most because I do no like animal hunter. So sad that next week is the season finale already, wonder if they'll be running again in the spring like Sci-Fi normally does with it's shows.

Steveknj
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I make a distinction between science fiction (fiction rooted in science) and science fantasy (pretending to be science fiction, but no basis in science; e.g., almost every sci-fi TV show ever made). If it's a spectrum, Eureka is about as far to the science fantasy end as you can get. There is no basis in reality whatsoever, and in fact they throw in so many blunders (the whole 10% of the brain thing is an old favorite) that I have to suspect they are either completely scientifically ignorant, or doing it on purpose.

And that's OK, as long as it's entertaining and they don't pretend to actually present good information. In Eureka, they get around it by just not taking anything seriously. In Star Trek, they got around it by speaking in techno-babble gibberish (although that didn't stop the fans from taking it seriously, and coming up with rather bizarre explanations for how the science really does work). Battlestar Galactica is the one that actually bothers me the most, because the science is terrible, but they take it very, very seriously, and in fact the very bad science is at the heart of the show. It took me about a year and a half to learn to accept that BG is not science fiction, that it is pure science fantasy, and to enjoy it on that level. When I recently re-watched the second season on DVD, I liked it a lot more than the first time with that attitude in mind. But it's hard not to feel insulted that they seem to expect us to take the science (e.g., the Spylons, who make absolutely no sense whatsoever) seriously when there's no there there.

I think you are thinking WAY too much as to what the intent of the words "Science Fiction" mean. I've always thought of Science Fiction as a piece of Fiction with a science oriented theme. Based on that definition, the science doesn't have to work, or even be remotely close to something that would...The fathers of modern Science Fiction, guys like H.G. Wells or Jules Verne tested our imagination with devices the seemed like they COULD work. But seriously, I doubt either the readers or the authors ever really thought about the true science that might make these things possible (such as a Time Machine). Even modern Science Fiction, such as Star Wars don't spend a lot of time explaining how the Tie-Fighters might work in space or what a light saber actually does. We just have to "believe" it is real. Is it fantasy? Certainly. But it's STILL Sci-Fi.

katbug
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
I think that "Eureka" does exist and has all of this advanced technology already, but they're changing and negating the actual real "science" involved so as not to give away any intelligence...yeah, that's it! ;0)

Bai Shen
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
And the unthinkable happened...Jo going for him? Nope, not buying that one! Not even in that extreme situation. Ugh!!!

He showed up and danced with her in the dance episode.

Bai Shen
09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
My person take on Sci-Fi stuff is that it should be consistent. I can deal with most of the other issues with it as long as it's consistent. I'll still make fun of it, but I can deal with it. :)

ParadiseDave
09-28-2006, 02:01 PM
There are so many little things they could get right, but don't:

The sections of the house under "Brad" were supposedly soundproof, but you could hear Beverly's footsteps.

The section with Mayberry :) and Allison was supposedly freezing. Shouldn't their breath show under those conditions?

As for the accent, on Max Headroom, Matt Frewer worked with a character named "Blank Reg" who had an Aussie accent. Maybe they could get back together for some lessons. ;)

I enjoy this show for the opposite reason so many like "Studio 60," you don't have to think to watch it. In fact, not thinking helps.

drew2k
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, I'm going to be the first to bring up Frewer's (or whatever his name is) accent again. It never bothered me until it quit bugging everyone here, but the last episode really bugged me and this time I just gave up on trying to understand anything he was saying. There was a moment when Jo and Taggart were in the tunnel and Jo responded to Taggart with an imitation of an Australian accent. For a second that seemed to last an eternity I was hoping that Taggart would laugh at Jo's accent, speak in clear English, and say, "Is that how bad I was sounding? If you're going to fake an Aussie accent, you need to do it better than that, so I guess I'll just stop now!".

And then my second passed and Taggart was still "Australian". :(

katbug
09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
They SO missed that oppotunity! That would have been priceless, not to mention making the fans happy.

Jonathan_S
09-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I think you are thinking WAY too much as to what the intent of the words "Science Fiction" mean. I've always thought of Science Fiction as a piece of Fiction with a science oriented theme.Sci Fi has classically fallen into a few categories.

There is Hard Science Fiction, where all the science is accurate (or at least was believed to be at the time of writing).

There is Soft Science Fiction, where some of the science is wrong.
But in a "what if" way. Most of the science is the same, except FTL travel is possible, or nanomachines, or true AIs exist. The impact of the one (or few) changes to known science would then be consistently explored.

Then there is Sci-Fantasy which is your "science oriented theme". The science is usually used as a theme. Mad scientist, gleaming space ships, town of super geniuses. But the actual "science" is usually unexplained, inconsistent, or techno-babble. Which doesn't meant it isn't fun to watch or read. But it is clearly distinct from the other types of Science Fiction. All three types tend to get lumped together as "Sci-Fi".

Almost all TV and Movie Sci-Fi is of this third type.
(And these categories, especially the latter two are more of a spectrum rather than a set of discrete choices)

JustAllie
09-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Just finished watching this.

"When I'm stressed, my subtext comes out as text." Heh. :D

My favorite part was watching Carter transform when his daughter was in danger. The precious baseball bat he didn't want anyone to touch earlier in the episode became just something he could use to bash away at the generator. Awww.... :)

Anubys
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
There was a moment when Jo and Taggart were in the tunnel and Jo responded to Taggart with an imitation of an Australian accent. For a second that seemed to last an eternity I was hoping that Taggart would laugh at Jo's accent, speak in clear English, and say, "Is that how bad I was sounding? If you're going to fake an Aussie accent, you need to do it better than that, so I guess I'll just stop now!".

And then my second passed and Taggart was still "Australian". :(

:up: :up: :up:

All I was thinking about was "Finally, he will give up the accent"...I keep waiting for Jo to say that she did a background check on him and he's never set foot in Australia or something like that...

Havana Brown
09-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok, so I"m not crazy. I didn't understand the show or anything you guys wrote here. I wanted to like the show. I saw previews of it while watching something else. I got about halfway thru this episode and deleted the SP.

Bierboy
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok, so I"m not crazy. I didn't understand the show or anything you guys wrote here. I wanted to like the show. I saw previews of it while watching something else. I got about halfway thru this episode and deleted the SP.If this was the first Eureka you've seen, you picked a bad one. I didn't think it was one of the better eps, and, for a newbie to the series, you'd be lost. Basically one set (location), a lot of comments amond the principals that wouldn't make ANY sense if you'd never seen it before, and just a blah ep. Give it a try from the beginning.

Gospel
09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
"No!" - Everybody.

IMO, this was the best line in the whole show. It really cracked me up! :D I thought Wargames was a fairly good movie.

Bill Reeves
09-29-2006, 01:07 PM
It was fun to spot all the paraphrased HAL quotes like the "I'm sorry <name>, I can't do that" after being asked to open the pod bay/front door...

Yeah, there were two 2001 references that I caught: "I'm sorry Jack, I'm afraid I can't do that." and when they were trying to shut her down, "Jack, what are you doing?" which was similar to when Dave was disconnecting HAL's memory chips.

tubsone
09-29-2006, 10:42 PM

Unbeliever
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM

They could've had a denser packing of thermocouples, or a Eureka universe more efficient thermocouple. Thermocouples are fairly low efficiency devices. If I remember correctly, Casini's 3 RTGs generate 8-10 kilowatts of heat for that 700-800 watts of electricity.

They mentioned that all the feed lines were armored.

--Carlos V.

cheesesteak
10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I like this show. I don't care if the science is nonsensical or not. Hell, I enjoy Doctor Who.

fergiej
10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S

They could've had a denser packing of thermocouples, or a Eureka universe more efficient thermocouple. Thermocouples are fairly low efficiency devices. If I remember correctly, Casini's 3 RTGs generate 8-10 kilowatts of heat for that 700-800 watts of electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S

They mentioned that all the feed lines were armored.

Then again, who cares? Really. Some of you need to understand the term "Suspension of disbelief". If you can't do that without enjoying teh show for what it is, stop watching. Some of you guys are trying waaaaay too hard to make this show grounded in real science. It ain't. Just enjoy it for what it is. The writers, producers, directors, etc aren't trying, why should you?