PDA

View Full Version : Gilmore Girls 9/26 - The Long Morrow

firerose818
09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Lorelai is an idiot. I don't really know what else to say. Luke's speech at the end made me cry - it was so heartfelt. But, Lorelai has a definite self destructive streak, and I guess that will continue for awhile.

Luke's speech was the best part of the episode for me - everything else seemed a little bland. I did like the rocket that Logan gave to Rory.

-Rose

JediCowboyD
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Lorelai is an idiot.
Agreed. But I can't help myself either: the crazier she gets the hotter she becomes. Story of my life. :D

cyke93
09-26-2006, 10:30 PM
i felt bad for luke but at the same time, lorelie dropped so many hints it was ridiculous .. i mean he could've at least told her a date... 1 week from now.. 1 month ..1 year and i think she would be down for it .. just as long as she knew it was heading somewhere..

i really want things to work out with christopher .. i have a feeling it might not. halfway through the season, she'll go back to luke (ehh).

lorelie in this case is the fcked up one .. and luke is not a bad guy and he shouldn't take her back. he deserves better than what she did to him. it is one of those situations where both are wrong and right *although sleeping with christopher was clearly wrong

lorelie on the other hand deserves to be happy and the fact that she has all these doubts and keeps running back to christopher should tell her something. if he didn't knock up that chick and have gigi, things would've been different. what christopher needs to do is make it clear that he's in there for the long run (not propse marriage, its too soon) but say that even if gigi's mom came back that he would not leave her and that it was because of what he did to lorelei and rory that he stayed with gigi's mom

WinBear
09-26-2006, 10:51 PM
At least it is all out in the open with both Christopher and Luke now. Keeping secrets was the big problem last season. Lorelai just needs to get her head on straight and decide which guy she wants to settle down with and start trying to fix things. With respect to the loss of Amy Sherman-Palladino, I felt like this was a regular episode of GG and Lorelai's characterizations were right on.

As for Rory and Logan, I'm not sure what to think. I was hoping she'd really run off to London rather than Logan's 2 week Christmas vacationplan.

cyke93
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
i also felt like there was nothing different with the show.. except the fact that we didnt get to see the grandparents

i think one of my favorite scenes was with paris and with the car hitting the diner hahahaha.. i love this show

mwhip
09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Well Kirk's GF Lulu was present mostly see his talked about but never seen. The dialogue seemed a little off but it was good but maybe I was looking for it.

Agatha Mystery
09-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I don't see that Lorelai is being that stupid. She waited and waited. She finally couldn't wait anymore. Yes, Luke was finally willing to get married. However, since he drug his feet, would it be any better married? Realistically, he'll feel forced into it. Lorelai is right to step off of the truck. He's hurt her so many times already. He just can't see it. He isn't apologizing for all of the times that he hurt her. He's just 'willing' to do what she wants. That's not a compromise, that's not a realization. That's desparation.

Lorelai falls back to Chris. Yes, he's always there for her. She knows it. She feels guilty about it, hence her 'confession' to Luke. That doesn't mean that he isn't the guy that she can depend on. She hasn't been able to depend on Luke. She can depend on Chris, at least, now. She couldn't depend on him in the past, so that is part of her reluctance to get back with him.

Next week's preview makes it seem like Lorelai made the right choice.

Oh, and Rory should just hop on a plane and surprise Logan. She'll know where they stand right then and there.

ayrton911
09-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Lane was not in the finale and not in the premiere.

In my opinion, the show really under-uses Lane, Mrs. Kim, and Paris. I find the three of them to be about the funniest on the show.

Lorelai I don't get too carried away by her relationships about cause it's like the Gilligan's Island as so often is the TV situation, I don't think she will ever be married or happy.

With Rory, yeah she maybe should just get on a plane and go see Logan. However, I think Logan is busy. He is trying to make something of his life, and I don't know if Rory should be there, while he is starting to get it going. I mean he is really young, and I think he could just use a tiny bit of time to get started.

vikingguy
09-27-2006, 02:37 AM
I think the new writers did an outstanding job. They did the very best they could with the mess they were left. Now if we can get rid of logan and make lorelai like able again the show will be better than ever. This was the best episode in a long time. Add consideration for how bad the old writers left the show itis a minor miracle. I am very please just hope it does not take the new staff to long to fix all the crap they were left with. I wish these people would of taken over last year.

Jesda
09-27-2006, 04:26 AM
This show has become one of my "out of habit" viewings. Like 7th Heaven, I'll keep watching every crappy episode until its cancelled.

jschuur
09-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Luke's reaction to Lorelai's confession wasn't exactly the brightest either. If anything would have helped his case with her, it would have been him acting a little more mature about it.

vikingguy
09-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Luke's reaction to Lorelai's confession wasn't exactly the brightest either. If anything would have helped his case with her, it would have been him acting a little more mature to it.

I think he did a good job of keeping under control. I would of be pretty bent to find out my girl went right into bed with my enemy at the first sign of trouble. I was hoping they would show luke going to christopher's house and giving him the beating he deserves. He knowingly messed with an engaged woman and should pay the piper. No real man would just forgive her for sleeping with his enemy come on.

This is all on the previous writers they are the ones who messed things up towards the end of season 5 and all of season 6. This is the first time I have hope the show might be good again. Watching last season and a half was just painfull.

DaveBogart
09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Rory's lookin' good! She seems to have lost a little weight.

Graymalkin
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't characterize Christopher as Luke's enemy. They're romantic rivals. Both of them are very protective of Rory.

marrone
09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
I actually thought the writing was slightly off. Lorelai seemed to rant a bit more than usual, and the banter between the women seemed a little more over the top than normal. I wonder if the new writers are trying their best to keep it the same, and overdoing it in the process.

Otherwise not a bad episode.

I agree with some of the characters being underutilized, though I dunno how much I'd want to see of Paris. She's the right amount for comic relief...unless they really want to do some kind of drama arc with her, which could work. Lane...they really need more of her.

One thing I was semi-disappointed in...when Kirk got out of the crashed car, and was shouting "I'm Ok, I'm Ok", I was VERY disappointed that Luke didn't give him a flying tackle at that very instant! (I'm sure the writers considered it...it would have been very appropriate!)

-Mike

brianric
09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
My DVR did not record this show, no video signal. Guide showed it playing on the CW network on Ch 17 in Philly (Comcast). I never thought to check to see if channel 17 was still on the air. Found another CW network, ch 4. I have one Tivo and two Replays. I just made a request to have the show sent to my Replay. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to watch it.

Agatha Mystery
09-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I think he did a good job of keeping under control. I would of be pretty bent to find out my girl went right into bed with my enemy at the first sign of trouble. I was hoping they would show luke going to christopher's house and giving him the beating he deserves. He knowingly messed with an engaged woman and should pay the piper. No real man would just forgive her for sleeping with his enemy come on.
Didn't Lorelai tell him that things were over with Luke? I would assume so if we didn't see it on camera at the end of last season.

cmontyburns
09-28-2006, 12:10 AM
I disagree with everyone who has said that Lorelai is being unlikeable and unreasonable. I don't agree with ASP's decision to put her in bed with Christopher at the end of last season, but otherwise her behavior has been just right. She waited and waited for Luke to get his head straight, and not only did he not do that, he continued to push her farther away. So instead of hoping he'd get it one day, she told him explicitly what he was doing to her and asked if he could stop. And he didn't say yes. So why shouldn't she break it off for now? No one should be taken for granted. Yes, Luke's speech at the end was nice and probably heartfelt, but there's a big difference between saying the right things and doing the right things. Getting married wasn't the issue, being a functioning couple was the issue. Luke still needs to demonstrate that he can do that, and until he does, no way Lorelai should marry him.

Sleeping with Christopher does level the playing field a bit here, but at least Lorelai told Luke. That was the right thing to do.

vikingguy
09-28-2006, 01:27 AM
They were engaged for a year it is not like he was dragging his feet for 4 years. I did not like the adding the daughter for luke but come on anyone would need time. My uncle found out about a son 10 years later and it did a number on the guy. I can't blame luke for wanting to make up for lost time or to get to know his kid. If this was rory who needed some special attention you bet your ass lorelia would put luke on the back burner for a while. I don't blame luke for anything he did under the circumstances it was IMO lorelai who out of character got jealous being second to a 10 year old. It is to bad ASP had to do a scorched earth policy when she did not get her way with the network.

Neenahboy
09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
I can't blame luke for wanting to make up for lost time or to get to know his kid.

No one can, and Lorelai wasn't doing that. She was just extremely frustrated (as I'm sure everyone would be) that Luke wasn't figuring out a way to make April fit into THEIR lives. Rather, he was trying to fit Lorelai into what he had already established as his "new" life with April, and Lorelai made that very clear in her ultimatum last season.

Jeeters
09-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I actually thought the writing was slightly off. Lorelai seemed to rant a bit more than usual, and the banter between the women seemed a little more over the top than normal. I wonder if the new writers are trying their best to keep it the same, and overdoing it in the process. I thought the same thing. It was way over the top, and it went on and on and on and on to the point that it was no longer witty, just inane. I thought it was maybe the new writers trying to prove to us (or themselves) that they have the ability to write the witty dialog too.

miscellaneous
09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't blame Luke for having trouble with the whole daughter thing, although he was obviously oblivious for most of last season with Lorelai.

I don't blame Lorelai for giving him an ultimatum; obviously she had hit her breaking point.

Immediately leaving a fight and 'break-up' with your fiance to sleep with somebody else is the most incredibly stupid, self-destructive thing you can do. Even if the break-up 'holds', you have all the time in the world to jump into bed with somebody else. Sleeping with Christopher meant she and Luke were immediately done. And obviously after waking up the next morning, she had to convince herself what nobody else was convinced of - that they were really done. The whole episode screamed of somebody who knew they had made the worst decision in their life, but wanted to convince themselves that it was the right thing to do. Rory, Luke, Sookie... everybody but her saw potential for reconciliation and ultimate happiness.

I'm sorry, I've been watching this show from the beginning, and I see nothing in Christopher that is redeeming. He's a nice enough guy in small doses, but there is nothing that says long-term potential to me.

cmontyburns
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I thought the same thing. It was way over the top, and it went on and on and on and on to the point that it was no longer witty, just inane. I thought it was maybe the new writers trying to prove to us (or themselves) that they have the ability to write the witty dialog too.

New show runner Dave Rosenthal wrote the episode, not "the writers", who, I believe, are the same staff the show has always had (even though ASP and DP wrote many, many of the episodes). And it isn't the first episode Rosenthal has written; it's just the first one he's written on his own. Personally, I think that if we weren't aware of the Palladinos' departure, nobody would have decided that there was anything "off" about the writing.

Immediately leaving a fight and 'break-up' with your fiance to sleep with somebody else is the most incredibly stupid, self-destructive thing you can do.

But she thought they were on a break! ;) Of course you're right, at least when there are unresolved feelings, as there obviously are here. That's why I really, really hate this plot point. I think everything Lorelai has done is completely in character but for sleeping with Christopher in that situation. Going to him for comfort, yes -- they've got a longstanding bond and have had a healthier relationship in recent years, so I can see her going to his place for support. But not sleeping with him. And Christopher, even though he's got unresolved feelings of his own for sure, has (of late, anyway) not been such a heel that he would take advantage of her vulnerability in that situation. But they did what they did, and now the plot has to bend a million ways to accommodate it.

JPinAZ
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Can somebody post what happened at the end. Our recording cut off right after Luke got in his truck & started to drive away.

Neenahboy
09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Our recording cut off right after Luke got in his truck & started to drive away.

That was the end.

marrone
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
It is to bad ASP had to do a scorched earth policy when she did not get her way with the network.
What did she want that the network refused to give her?

-Mike

vikingguy
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
What did she want that the network refused to give her?

-Mike

Screwed up the characters in season 5 and 6 left the show a complete mess. Wanted her contract to run 1 year past the main actors. Pretty much asking for free money. The network said no and she burned the show down to the ground.

WinBear
09-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Screwed up the characters in season 5 and 6 left the show a complete mess. Wanted her contract to run 1 year past the main actors. Pretty much asking for free money. The network said no and she burned the show down to the ground.

That's a gross oversimplification of things. She was asking for a 2 year contract when there was only 1 year left on the show. The 2nd year deal should have been for development of a new show for the network. In other words, she wanted job security past the end of GG.

dswallow
10-02-2006, 12:43 AM
This show has become one of my "out of habit" viewings. Like 7th Heaven, I'll keep watching every crappy episode until its cancelled.
I deleted my 7th Heaven season pass today; I'm about to do the same with Gilmore Girls but they'll get one more episode. I just couldn't stand the dialog this episode; it was like having a headache and being in the middle of a bunch of bickering old ladies; totally pointless to bother listening. It was like the writers had to write a bunch of stuff to keep the cast talking since they're used to talking so fast, and didn't care if any of it was interesting in the least.