PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy 9/24/06: "Hell Comes to Quahog"

lawilson2
09-24-2006, 11:09 PM
A couple of funnies, but an "eh" episode, AGAIN.

mwhip
09-24-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought it was one the best ever. There were some really good flashback sequences (Red Dawn the musical, Electric Company).

"Did I mention that the tank is a tank?"

"I'll take it"

wprager
09-24-2006, 11:31 PM
I must agree. The first two this season were sub-par (I'm being kind). This one had many moments. I even like the repetitive joke (Peter blowing a raspberry every time Meg's name was mentioned). Just one cringe moment (for me) when the tank ran over Joe's legs and Peter said he looked like a tube of toothpaste.

I thought it was one the best ever. There were some really good flashback sequences (Red Dawn the musical, Electric Company).

"Did I mention that the tank is a tank?"

"I'll take it"

Warren
09-24-2006, 11:41 PM
I loved the JUrissac(sp?) park bit. I saw the Caddy manager standing in front of the tank comeing a mile away (not who stood in front of it but someone standing in front of it)

Best episode this season but I don't think the other two are as bad you you guys think.

Weezoh
09-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I loved the JUrissac(sp?) park bit.

I loved the stripes moment

I agree this is the best so far this season.

Warren
09-24-2006, 11:48 PM
how come you guys get mad when they make a refrence from 6 months ago but when they flash back to something from 30 years ago its ok

TonyD79
09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
how come you guys get mad when they make a refrence from 6 months ago but when they flash back to something from 30 years ago its ok

I tried that reasoning on the Sulu/gay thing. Good luck.

5thcrewman
09-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Chunk & The Electric Company- A real 'Hey You Guys!' kind of show.

TAsunder
09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Meh... for the first time in a long time I enjoyed the simpsons, american dad, AND ATHF (which might have been a re-run) significantly more than the family guy.

That said, I enjoyed the plot right out of the movie Tank

terpfan1980
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I thought this was an ok episode. Picking on Wal*Mart gets over done, but it's still funny.

The Tank was funny too. I've wished many times that my vehicle was just that. The fun I'd have rolling over idiots in my way :up:

Meathead
09-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Tank = greatness

kbohip
09-25-2006, 12:40 PM
It wasn't the best episode but let's face it, it's Family Guy. The worst episode of FG is still better than the best episode of the Simpson's (anymore anyway). :) The part that had me laughing the most was Brian driving the tank looking like George Peppard from the A-Team with the cigar in his mouth.

I've started watching that old show again when I ride my excersise bike so those types of scenes were very fresh in my mind, making it even funnier.

TAsunder
09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
It wasn't the best episode but let's face it, it's Family Guy. The worst episode of FG is still better than the best episode of the Simpson's (anymore anyway). :)

Gotta disagree. If you replace "Simspons" with "Two and a half men" then I agree. But I think the simpsons have been much better this season and last season. And this season, even american dad has been better (oh god, did I just say that??)

MitchO
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
The part that had me laughing the most was Brian driving the tank looking like George Peppard from the A-Team with the cigar in his mouth.

NOOOOOOO .. he wasn't being George Peppard, he was being the guy from Animal House! He drives the float at the end of the movie looking just like that.

I actually had to look up Mister Moose on Wikipedia because I knew the reference but couldn't place it.

The reason 30 year old references are OK but not 6 month ones is because the 30 year old ones are nostalgic for most of us. We chuckle at someone else remembering Captain Kangaroo, but everyone around just found out about Takei and it isn't interesting anymore. Maybe in 30 years~.

Warren
09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
but the show takes six months to draw.

Matunuck
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Did people notice the f-bomb during the Hummer scene? I have to be honest I think I missed it and only thought about it when I heard it was in there.

Here it is on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C8ScBFAKBQ) (NOT SAFE FOR WORK!! -- that should be obvious but just in case)

Sadly, I don't have it saved anymore but was wondering if it went out over everyone's broadcast.

MitchO
09-26-2006, 10:42 AM

I don't know for sure, but that really seems to be an overly long estimate ...

Matunuck
09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Found more (http://studiobrf.newshare.com/) about the F-word:

Details of how it occurred were not available this morning (Monday), but somehow the use of the F-word during Sunday night's broadcast of The Family Guy got on the air in at least some markets. In other areas it was bleeped.

Did anyone hear it?

GerryGag
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Found more (http://studiobrf.newshare.com/) about the F-word:

Did anyone hear it?
I'm pretty sure it was bleeped in the episode I recorded (which was off of KTTV out of LA - I love having the network's west coast feeds during football season!)

But I'll check it when I get home later today.

Steveknj
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
The part that had me laughing the most was Brian driving the tank looking like George Peppard from the A-Team with the cigar in his mouth.

I've started watching that old show again when I ride my excersise bike so those types of scenes were very fresh in my mind, making it even funnier.

So THAT'S where that came from!! We were trying to figure out if that was an Animal House reference (D-Day in Flounder's brother's rebuilt car at the end) or maybe Patton. I was never a fan of the A-Team so maybe that's why I didn't get it.

Best episode of the season so far. I love ANYTIME Wal-Mart is lampooned (wasn't there a big issue in New England with Wal Mart moving in and there being protests)

Loved when they went to the USA Skating rink and the Mexi-skate was next store in a dilapodated adobe hut!!

The raspberry on Meg's name was funny for awhile, but overdone

I love any time Stewie and Brian team up to do ANYTHING

Loved Quagmire hitting on the girl from behind and she turns around and she's huge!!

Plunger nipples...

TheGreyOwl
09-26-2006, 11:55 AM

I doubt that. That would mean each season takes 10-12 years to produce.

MitchO
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
So THAT'S where that came from!! We were trying to figure out if that was an Animal House reference (D-Day in Flounder's brother's rebuilt car at the end) or maybe Patton. I was never a fan of the A-Team so maybe that's why I didn't get it.

I think it was supposed to be D-Day. There's no real reason for Hannibal from A-Team to be driving a tank.

DevdogAZ
09-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Um, you really think they can only work on one episode at a time? :rolleyes:

I've heard anywhere from 6-10 months for both this show and The Simpsons. It doesn't mean that it actually takes that long to draw the show, but because of the process they use, it just takes that long to complete. First, they have to write the show, then (I think) the voice actors record their parts, then the stateside artists draw storyboards for each scene, then the entire thing is shipped to Korea and it's all hand drawn there. Once completed, it's sent back to the US and probably has to undergo edits and minor changes. The entire process takes time, and they've got several episodes in the pipeline at any one time, so it's not like they're focusing on one episode for the entire 6-10 months.

Dreaday
09-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I love Family Guy!!!!

WeBoat
09-26-2006, 12:57 PM
The F-Word was beeped here in Miami....

But still an above average episode

TheGreyOwl
09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
I guess I misunderstood what you had meant. I thought you meant they spent a whole six months doing nothing but working on a single episode. But I looked it up, and yes you're right. Actually, they claim 6-9 months per episode, and they work on about 12 episodes simultaneously. I wonder how South Park can have references that don't seem more than a few days old?

Um, you really think they can only work on one episode at a time? :rolleyes:

I've heard anywhere from 6-10 months for both this show and The Simpsons. It doesn't mean that it actually takes that long to draw the show, but because of the process they use, it just takes that long to complete. First, they have to write the show, then (I think) the voice actors record their parts, then the stateside artists draw storyboards for each scene, then the entire thing is shipped to Korea and it's all hand drawn there. Once completed, it's sent back to the US and probably has to undergo edits and minor changes. The entire process takes time, and they've got several episodes in the pipeline at any one time, so it's not like they're focusing on one episode for the entire 6-10 months.

vikingguy
09-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I guess I misunderstood what you had meant. I thought you meant they spent a whole six months doing nothing but working on a single episode. But I looked it up, and yes you're right. Actually, they claim 6-9 months per episode, and they work on about 12 episodes simultaneously. I wonder how South Park can have references that don't seem more than a few days old?

From what I understand the south park crew will work on a show until the morning of it. Since the animation is so simple they can do it pretty much on the fly.

johnperkins21
09-26-2006, 08:05 PM

It takes them much less time to produce an episode because "the animation's all crappy." They scanned in the posterboard cut-outs and do all the animation on a computer, with a vast majority of actions and locations already set up. I think they only take about 3 weeks or so to produce, and they work on them right up until the day before they air. This allows them to make very recent references that can't be done using traditional animation techniques.

windracer
09-26-2006, 08:33 PM
The F-Word was beeped here in Miami....
Went back and checked and it was bleeped here too. I guess I should have known ... I probably would have noticed had it gone through (especially once I watched the uncensored clip on YouTube).

Warren
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM

are they could draw more then one show at a time.

mpar1
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I downloaded the episode and the f-word was not beeped. I was very surprised to hear it.

EchoBravo
09-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Tell the other bears what you saw here today."

Warren
09-28-2006, 05:39 AM
the f-word was beeped on my recording

Figaro
09-28-2006, 09:48 AM
:down: :down: :down:

Season pass is on the brink...

MikeMar
09-28-2006, 09:56 AM
:down: :down: :down:

Season pass is on the brink...

wow, my FG season pass will NEVER be on the brink. but to each his own

Figaro
09-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Well after South Park confirmed what I had been saying about the show, the humor just died for me.

Warren
09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
wow, my FG season pass will NEVER be on the brink. but to each his own

same here. I will never delete FG

Supfreak26
09-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't get all the hating here. I thought it was a funny ep. Maybe the bar is set higher with you guys but I enjoy almost every ep of FG.

MickeS
09-29-2006, 11:09 PM
OK, I don't watch this show, but this was too funny to not pass along... maybe it's old...
http://peter_griffin.isthe****.net

UnionBuster
09-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Well after South Park confirmed what I had been saying about the show, the humor just died for me.

Eh?

trainman
09-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Eh?

He had been saying that "Family Guy" was written by manatees, which was confirmed by "South Park."

(From what I hear, the version with the F-word unbleeped ran in Canada.)

TivoSlinger
10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm surprise that many of you guys/gals missed an insided joke.

In the Rollerskating Rink, the song in the background is, "A Fifth of Beethoven". It is written by Walter Murphy.

I think it this the same Walter Murphy who writes all the music for "Family Guy"

Dreaday
10-11-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought this was so funny. The first new episode this sesaon was not that funny, but this one was freakin hilarious!

Dreaday
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
does anyone know when there will be new episodes again. I thought that there would be one last sunday but football and baseball was on

Figaro
10-11-2006, 07:56 PM
does anyone know when there will be new episodes again. I thought that there would be one last sunday but football and baseball was on
November when MLB's postseason is over.

Dreaday
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
November?!?!?!?! No I can not wait that long....that sucks, oh well

mpar1
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
November 5th will see the resumption of new episodes