PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race 10 9/24 (Spoilers?)

gossamer88
09-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I love my wife, but. . .I could never do this race with a woman. They're too emotional. On the flip side, are there any ladies out there that would rather have along another woman than a man? I'd like to hear.

BTW, why are the straight couples "dating" and the gay couple "boyfriends"?

markz
09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I am a little over halfway through so far, but here are some observations:

The teams all seem to get along and like each other. Some teams have even helped other teams when possible.

Even though a couple of the women have been on the verge of breakdown, their men are being overbearing and not helping the situation any.

Lots of vehicle problems. Note to self: never buy a Russian military jeep.

Those oxen-like animals are crazy. Never buy one of those either! :)

The woman with the prosthetic foot sure is a tough competitor. How many interchangable feet is she packing? What happens if they are last at a non-elimination leg? Would she lose her spare feet?

There sure are a lot of native western English speaking people living in Mongolia.

markz
09-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I love my wife, but. . .I could never do this race with a woman. They're too emotional. On the flip side, are there any ladies out there that would rather have along another woman than a man? I'd like to hear.

I could most definitely do this race with my wife. She would be an excellent partner.

As far as "dating" vs "boyfriends", maybe it had something to do with how they described themselves when tey applied to be on the show.

Animgif
09-24-2006, 10:22 PM
That was a great episode...favorite quotes:

Kentucky Lady: (paraphrased) "We've never really been around gay people"
Flash to gays being gays
Back to Kentucky: "But I LIKE them =)"

And Phil doing a bad New York Jew accent ;) Cracked me up.

I watched both of those scenes like 8 times.

Oh, and I'm VERY glad Alabama or Mississippi (can't remember which) couple didn't get eliminated. I like them a lot =)

ElJay
09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
That runaway animal (what was it??) that Peter & Sarah had was hilarious. I had to rewind that more than a couple of times. "Noooo!" The way it charged and then the water jugs fell off of the cart (one kind of breaking up on impact).... that really cracked me up for some reason.

vman
09-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Can someone let us know what happened the last 15 minutes? We didn't have extra time, and the football games ran long. The AR website doesn't have it posted yet!

Gunnyman
09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Team Deliverance is growing on me. They are a lock for my favorite team if HE keeps his mouth shut and lets her do all the talking.
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have told my wife to "shut up" in 15 years of marriage. I too commented on all the westerners who seemed to be in mongolia extradition laws? :p

debtoine
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I too commented on all the westerners who seemed to be in mongolia :p

I made the same comment to Toine. I couldn't believe how many people they found who weren't Mongolian and spoke fluent English to help them out. Those people seemed to know the directions too....interesting. They must've been in an area with Western companies or military bases or something.

It was just too coincidental for me.

I was sorta disappointed to see the cheerleaders go. They so easily scaled that wall last week, that I figured they'd be a force to reckon with in some of the physical challenges, even though the one didn't do well with the bow/arrow. Although, I'm not sure how well I'd have done at night either. It didn't appear that her target was in a lighted area so she could better aim; I might have to go rewind and see if I can tell.

Oh, and when I told Toine they were in Mongolia, he said, "Mmmmmm, Mongolian barbecue." I said, "Nah, there they just call it barbecue." :)

deb

katbug
09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok, I admit that "team deliverance" is growing on me a little more this episode than last. Btw, if my hubby ever said the words "Shut up" or anything close to it, well...we won't even go there. Anyway, they were much more likable this time, whereas "Team Tom and Jerry" irritated me even more. Other than that, I think everyone else was reasonably whiny/frustrated this time around, so they didn't annoy me as much. Was kinda hoping for the single moms to go since they seemed to quick to judge the other teams harshly and haven't seemed like very nice people from the start.

Steveknj
09-25-2006, 09:14 AM
That was a great episode...favorite quotes:

Kentucky Lady: (paraphrased) "We've never really been around gay people"
Flash to gays being gays
Back to Kentucky: "But I LIKE them =)"

And Phil doing a bad New York Jew accent ;) Cracked me up.

I watched both of those scenes like 8 times.

Oh, and I'm VERY glad Alabama or Mississippi (can't remember which) couple didn't get eliminated. I like them a lot =)

I'm a NY Jew and I didnt' catch Phil trying to imitate one of me!! When was that?

Gunnyman
09-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Another trend I've noticed. This year's crop of teams seems to be much too self centered this early in the race. How hard would it have been to loan someone your jack and sit for the what 10 minutes it may take to change a tire. I don't see ANY alliances happening this season.

InterMurph
09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
So did the cheerleaders set the Amazing Race record for "most times lost in a single episode?"

And what's with Cletus & Brandine getting a new car after their became "inoperable"? Their car was functioning just fine; the engine was turning, and power was being delivered to the drive train. If they get a new car, then shouldn't [Kar]Lyn also get one, because their car wouldn't even start?

And I loved the a-hole's "apology" in the car: "I wasn't yelling at you, like you thought; I was just speaking to you in a very loud and abusive manner because I was trying to get your attention. You understand, right?"

scottykempf
09-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Duke: "I can accept gays and lesbians, but when it's my daughter, you think of it a little differently." Huh??

So Kellie and Jamie leave the Pit Stop at 9:56pm, next is Erwin and Godwin at 7:02pm? Did I miss something here???

David and Mary (in a whisper): "Honest to goodness, we never been around....gay people, but buddy, I like em!!"

Dustin and Kandice, in bus station: "We gotta do this conspicously." Don't you mean IN-conspicously???

Tyler and James: In the real world, it is nice when people stop to help you out. On the race, don't be surprised when other teams DON'T stop to help you out.

Rob and Kimberly: Trying to give Tyler and James your jack is nice, but a) You let them use it and wait while they change their tire, costing you time, or b) Give it to them and keep going, which means you have no jack if you get a flat.

How funny was it when it turned out that their jack WASN'T broken??

Wow, nasty fall and drag on that horse for one of the girls.

Added to list of things people should know when going on TAR: How to crank start a car. (Or at least roll start a stick-shift!!)

Phil at Pit Stop: "Did you imagine that you would be two legs (ohhhh ouch Phil!!!) into the race and be first?"

How hard would it be for Kellie and Jamie to hit the target in the dark?

VegasVic
09-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I thought the rule on getting a replacement car was it your car was inoperable "due to no fault of your own". Getting stuck in the mud was certainly their fault and not the cars fault.

scottykempf
09-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Another trend I've noticed. This year's crop of teams seems to be much too self centered this early in the race. How hard would it have been to loan someone your jack and sit for the what 10 minutes it may take to change a tire. I don't see ANY alliances happening this season.

The name of this show is The Amazing Race. How many times on the Tour de France have you seen Lance Armstrong pull over and help another rider change his tire? How many times have you seen Nascar drivers pull over and let another driver use their jack? NEVER!

TiVo'Brien
09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
There wasn't anything wrong with the male models' jack. Had they known to turn the hydraulic valve screw back to closed, they would have had the jeep jacked up in just a few minutes.

The single moms never should have been chosen for the show, in my opinion. They're sullen, unenthusiastic, almost annoyed by the requirements put on them by the race. Jeez, if you don't want to be there, why'd you apply? Hopefully they'll be gone soon.

What, no money for the dancing gimpy girl? :p Asking for money for her little show for the Chinese guys was pretty pathetic.

LeVich34
09-25-2006, 09:42 AM
At risk of starting another Rob and Amber flame war, weren't they chastised on this very board (as well as on the race) for failing to stop and help another team whose car had broken down? *ducks and runs*

cherry ghost
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
The name of this show is The Amazing Race. How many times on the Tour de France have you seen Lance Armstrong pull over and help another rider change his tire? How many times have you seen Nascar drivers pull over and let another driver use their jack? NEVER!

" Ullrich crashed but without apparent injury in the fast ride down the Col de Peyresourde mountain pass, the fourth climb of the day.

Leading Armstrong by several yards, he missed a bend to the left and rode straight ahead, passing behind a safety barrier and down a steep embankment. His rear wheel upended and he disappeared from sight.

He emerged seconds later, carrying his bike over his shoulder, and immediately resumed racing.

"I was going down at about 50 mph and my brakes weren't working that well," Ullrich said.

He caught Armstrong a few minutes later and the two spoke briefly.

"I asked him if he was OK," said Armstrong, who slowed to allow Ullrich to catch up. "It looked like a bad crash. I decided that the correct thing to do was to wait."

http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2001/0721/1229151.html

David Platt
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Duke: "I can accept gays and lesbians, but when it's my daughter, you think of it a little differently." Huh??

That seemed pretty self-eplanatory to me. He generally thinks that he doesn't have a problem accepting gays and lesbians, but it hit a little too close to home when his daughter came out.

Lee L
09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I can;t beleive they could not figure out the bleeder screw on the jack, but, I tend to not realize that most people are not that mechanically inclined and have probably never used something like that. It just seems like they wouls see the littel bleeder screw with threads sticking out and try to turn it.

I also wondered about the jeep being incapcitated, they drove into teh mud so I can't see how that is not their fault.

RickyL
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM

Actually I have seen Lance Armstong wait... its an unwritten law that when a leader crashes during the race, they will wait for him to catch back up before launching any attacks.

dbranco
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
The woman with the prosthetic foot sure is a tough competitor. How many interchangable feet is she packing? What happens if they are last at a non-elimination leg? Would she lose her spare feet?

HA! That's a good question. Is it considered gear or body parts?

At risk of starting another Rob and Amber flame war, weren't they chastised on this very board (as well as on the race) for failing to stop and help another team whose car had broken down? *ducks and runs*

That was an accident if I recall. The vehicle had tipped over and the cameraman was hurt. IMO it's much worse that they didn't even stop to say 'is everyone ok?'

JFriday
09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Are there really no Asians in Kentucky?

pdhenry
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I was shocked that everyone seemed to be able to drive a stick. Those Russian jeeps were manual transmission, weren't they? I mean - hey, they even had starter cranks!

sushikitten
09-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I was thoroughly impressed that there were no issues with driving a stick - although it did look like one of the blonde barbies had some trauma with it (she seemed like someone who was new at driving a stick).

mlisowski
09-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Phil to Peter and Sarah: "Did you expect, in two legs, to be in first place?"

Magnolia88
09-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Which team are you talking about? The single moms are from Birmingham, Alabama, but none of the "couples" are from AL or MS.

Are there really no Asians in Kentucky?

I'm sure the bigger cities like Louisville have plenty of Asians, but this couple appears to be from a very rural area and haven't traveled far outside their town much at all. (They met while working at McDonalds.) They probably haven't even been to Lousville.

When coalminerwife made that comment about "where we come from, the husband makes the decisions and the wife knows her place" (paraphrasing), I'm sure a lot of Kentuckians were cringing because that couple doesn't exactly represent the state as a whole. Not every person from Kentucky works in a coal mine and lives in a town that ends in "Hollow" but this couple does tend to feed into some of the worst stereotypes.

I thought the rule on getting a replacement car was it your car was inoperable "due to no fault of your own". Getting stuck in the mud was certainly their fault and not the cars fault.

In this ep, Phil said that if a car becomes inoperable, the team can get a replacement car. He very clearly did NOT say anything about the "due to no fault of their own" part of that rule, so I think they made a deliberate change by removing the "fault" clause. That part of the rule was controversial because in the past, teams generally got a replacement car if their car broke down (or got into an accident). I guess the producers didn't want to get into a debate over what types of incidents were due to the team's "fault" so they decided to remove that part from the rule.

I'm a NY Jew and I didnt' catch Phil trying to imitate one of me!! When was that?

When the gay couple hit the mat and one of them said (with strong NY accent): Tawk to me, Phil! Phil responded by playfully mocking his accent: I'll tawk to you! Or something like that. It was cute.

DevdogAZ
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I thought it was kind if sad that the cheerleaders took what appeared to be several hours trying to hit the target and then eventually gave up, when it wouldn't have mattered if they had hit the target on their first try.

This episode was very chaotic for me. Everyone kept changing places, people were getting lost, changing tasks, passing, being passed, etc. With so many teams still in the race and so much changing, I found it very difficult to keep them all straight and figure out who was where.

Someone asked about getting a replacement car for one that's inoperable and why didn't the single moms get one too. I think they probably would have (along with the cheerleaders and the addict/models) but it takes a while to get the replacement vehicle in place, and in all of those circumstances, they got their car fixed first.

Neenahboy
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
When Lyn & Karlyn gave their leftover water to the cheerleaders/models/whatever the hell they were, wasn't that a rules violation? I was expecting some time penalties to be dished out at the pit stop.

DevdogAZ
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
When Lyn & Karlyn gave their leftover water to the cheerleaders/models/whatever the hell they were, wasn't that a rules violation? I was expecting some time penalties to be dished out at the pit stop.
I didn't think of it being a rules violation, but I sure thought it was stupid. Why would you do something that would decrease your lead over a team behind you?

Magnolia88
09-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't remember any rule that prohibits helping another team during a detour. I remember that happening in previous seasons, with one team helping another after they completed their task. In the roadblock, there is a "no helping" rule when only one team member may do the task without help from the other one, but I don't think detours have any rule like that.

TiVo'Brien
09-25-2006, 01:07 PM
............This episode was very chaotic for me. Everyone kept changing places, people were getting lost, changing tasks, passing, being passed, etc. With so many teams still in the race and so much changing, I found it very difficult to keep them all straight and figure out who was where. Me, too -- fairly hard to follow, some scenes seemed only a few milliseconds long. :down:

RainyCity4
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
What, no money for the dancing gimpy girl? :p Asking for money for her little show for the Chinese guys was pretty pathetic.

Actually, I think the boyfriend was pretty annoyed that all Chinese men were staring at her leg so he sarcastically held his hands out and asked for money. He said something about if they didn't want to pay to watch her then they should go to a zoo.

I empathized with him because as a deaf person, I am pretty tired of people staring at me signing with my wife or with my kids as if I was an exhibit in a zoo. That's how I observed it happening with the gal with one leg. Everyone was standing right there and openly staring at her leg as if she was a freak.

Again, if you put it in a cultural perspective, they never had seen a woman with an artificial leg (much less something as sophistcated as hers).

Brent

Steveknj
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Which team are you talking about? The single moms are from Birmingham, Alabama, but none of the "couples" are from AL or MS.

I'm sure the bigger cities like Louisville have plenty of Asians, but this couple appears to be from a very rural area and haven't traveled far outside their town much at all. (They met while working at McDonalds.) They probably haven't even been to Lousville.

When coalminerwife made that comment about "where we come from, the husband makes the decisions and the wife knows her place" (paraphrasing), I'm sure a lot of Kentuckians were cringing because that couple doesn't exactly represent the state as a whole. Not every person from Kentucky works in a coal mine and lives in a town that ends in "Hollow" but this couple does tend to feed into some of the worst stereotypes.

In this ep, Phil said that if a car becomes inoperable, the team can get a replacement car. He very clearly did NOT say anything about the "due to no fault of their own" part of that rule, so I think they made a deliberate change by removing the "fault" clause. That part of the rule was controversial because in the past, teams generally got a replacement car if their car broke down (or got into an accident). I guess the producers didn't want to get into a debate over what types of incidents were due to the team's "fault" so they decided to remove that part from the rule.

When the gay couple hit the mat and one of them said (with strong NY accent): Tawk to me, Phil! Phil responded by playfully mocking his accent: I'll tawk to you! Or something like that. It was cute.

OK. That's really just a NY accent, not necessarily a Jewish accent. But ok, I did catch that.

Neenahboy
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
This episode was very chaotic for me. Everyone kept changing places, people were getting lost, changing tasks, passing, being passed, etc. With so many teams still in the race and so much changing, I found it very difficult to keep them all straight and figure out who was where.

Same here. The editing seemed off as well, for some reason, especially in that one scene where they focused in on the one clue box and played the weird music for a LONG time. The way they were hyping it, I thought there would be some kind of twist at that particular spot.

nmiller855
09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm not a fan of football. I'm even less of a fan when a game goes longer than the network expects & cuts into shows I have recorded. I wish they would have cut out part of 60 minutes to get back on schedule. By the time I got home, it was too late to record the show after Amazing Race so I missed the last 15 minutes. I will now go pad my recording by 30 minutes in case it happens again.

scottykempf
09-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Wasn't it David and Mary who gave their extra water to Lynn and Karlyn? The cheerleaders did the pack it.

Kimberly: "Where are we going?"
Rob: "LEFT! LEFT! LEFT!!!!"

youbetcha
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Me, too -- fairly hard to follow, some scenes seemed only a few milliseconds long. :down:

Yep, I couldn't even read the team names/current place before they moved to another scene... weird - they usually don't skip around that much and so quickly.

I was also miffed that I forgot about football and didn't pad at all. /cry
So we missed the last challenge with the arrows and the elimination.

Katy

nmiller855
09-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Yes, Lyn & Karlyn readily accepted the water but sure said "Screw them" when it came to even stopping to see if they could help the other team with the flat. I just don't see them helping anyone but themselves.

Neenahboy
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Wasn't it David and Mary who gave their extra water to Lynn and Karlyn? The cheerleaders did the pack it.

Yes, you're correct.

katbug
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Actually, I think the boyfriend was pretty annoyed that all Chinese men were staring at her leg so he sarcastically held his hands out and asked for money. He said something about if they didn't want to pay to watch her then they should go to a zoo.

I empathized with him because as a deaf person, I am pretty tired of people staring at me signing with my wife or with my kids as if I was an exhibit in a zoo. That's how I observed it happening with the gal with one leg. Everyone was standing right there and openly staring at her leg as if she was a freak.

Again, if you put it in a cultural perspective, they never had seen a woman with an artificial leg (much less something as sophistcated as hers).

Brent
I got the same feeling about "being on exhibit". I thought it was incredibly rude how much they stared. It's one thing to be curious and look for a moment or ask questions, but to just openly stare for 5-10 minutes is a little strange. I think you're right though, they'd probably never seen an artificial limb before, but at some point you have to say something to kinda let them know that enough is enough. I thought it was funny when the girl said, "hmmm...yet they pay to see the exhibits at the zoo" (well, not in those words, but with that meaning).

Lee L
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Of course, on the flip side, they seem content to use it to their advantage whenever possible, he even said that directly in a confessional.

Heck, the thing looks pretty darn nifty from an engineering perspective. I knwo I would be very interested, but would never really ask anyone about theirs unless I was a really good friend and certainly would not be staring like that.

TriBruin
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM
A few thoughts from last night:

1) I really want to see the single mom's eliminated sooner than later. I can "almost" forgive them for not helping another team, but they could have at least stopped and made sure everything was OK.

2) I am wondering why Peter has chosen to do two roadblocks so far, either of which Sarah would not have had a disadvantage due to her leg. Assuming the they each do a certain number of Roadblocks in the Race, this could haunt them later.

scottykempf
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Racers have done stuff for money before. I am remembering girls giving kisses for cash after losing all their money on a non-elimination leg.

Sirius Black
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
All I remember from last night's episode is all the whining that was going on. Very annoying. That and the fact that Football made 60 Minutes eat up recording time of Amazing Race and I missed the last 15 minutes. Unfortunately, this will happen again because I am currently using the BH HD-DVR and it has no padding feature. As soon as the price for the Series 3 goes down to something managable, I will gladly pay the price for admission.

PJO1966
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm not a fan of football. I'm even less of a fan when a game goes longer than the network expects & cuts into shows I have recorded. I wish they would have cut out part of 60 minutes to get back on schedule. By the time I got home, it was too late to record the show after Amazing Race so I missed the last 15 minutes. I will now go pad my recording by 30 minutes in case it happens again.

Make it an hour... better safe than sorry.

cwoody222
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM

I think the couples get to decide themselves - partly - how to describe themselves.

Chip & Reichen were "Married" according to the show. While I don't think they were 'technically' married.

Plus "boyfriend and girlfriend" seems a little junior high, dontcha think? ;)

bruinfan
09-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I went to Fort Wayne for 1 week... saw 0 asians. i went to the local dance club one night, 0 asians.
I went to Omaha for 2 days... saw 0 asians. Lincoln for an afternoon, 0 asians.

I also played a game... How Many Non American Cars Do You See?

zero.

pdhenry
09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I got the same feeling about "being on exhibit". I thought it was incredibly rude how much they stared. It didn't meet our western ideal of politeness, but it really didn't surprise me much. Other cultures don't share our sense of what's polite, or things like how much "personal space" we're comfortable with. Add to that the fact that she was wearing her running foot - even I have never seen one in person. I'd try to be discreet but I'd be checking it out also.

DevdogAZ
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
It didn't meet our western ideal of politeness, but it really didn't surprise me much. Other cultures don't share our sense of what's polite, or things like how much "personal space" we're comfortable with. Add to that the fact that she was wearing her running foot - even I have never seen one in person. I'd try to be discreet but I'd be checking it out also.
Considering that they started putting on a show for the onlookers, I didn't feel that it was all that impolite either. It was probably more of Peter and Sarah's uncomfortableness with being stared at that prompted them to start showing off, and at that point, they're actually asking for, and attracting attention to themselves.

Joeg180
09-25-2006, 06:17 PM
How about when they couldn't find their helmets?

Why was Duke passed by everybody on the way to last challenge?

DevdogAZ
09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
How about when they couldn't find their helmets?

Because apparently he drives like my mom. ;)

(Insert joke here about Lauren becoming a lesbian because her father is lacking in manhood.)

IJustLikeTivo
09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
How funny was it when it turned out that their jack WASN'T broken??

It wasn't clear to me from the show if the folks helping had a jack and used that or knew how to use the one the idiots had but thought was not working.

Added to list of things people should know when going on TAR: How to crank start a car. (Or at least roll start a stick-shift!!)

Quick, make a list of the all the cars in the world that have a crank start? In the US, that would be zero since something in the 1930's. I cant imagine them having even an inkling that the jeep had suck a feature. Of course once they saw the other one...... ;-)

I do agree they should know how to roll start a stick.

IJustLikeTivo
09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't remember any rule that prohibits helping another team during a detour. I remember that happening in previous seasons, with one team helping another after they completed their task. In the roadblock, there is a "no helping" rule when only one team member may do the task without help from the other one, but I don't think detours have any rule like that.

I think there is one. IN the season with Meredith and What's his name ;-) , the winner tried to help them with the boats and they said they couldn't let them help.

IJustLikeTivo
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Brent

I agree in principle but the real world is people stare at stuff they don't understand or see often. When I was younger and people stared at my burns scars it used to bother me but finally , I just walked up and asked if they wanted a closer look.

bluebird-mom
09-25-2006, 07:28 PM

I am from Northern Kentucky in a very suburban area, near Cincinnati. If you look back to comments from the 1st episode, I did have a major problem with the comment about "the husband makes the decisions and the wife knows her place". However, later in that thread, I did say that maybe I judged them too early. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=317097&page=1&pp=30)

In the 1st episode, they were very respectful of the Chinese people. In this episode, they gave their extra water to the single moms. I thought Mary was actually kinda cute/funny talking about Tom & Jerry and the Asian brothers. She wasn't being discriminatory. She was just being honest. They are from far Eastern Kentucky in the mountains where you probably don't have a single gay person or person from a different race. Do they represent a majority of Kentuckians? I would say "No", but other than being nasty to each other, I think they are showing a great deal of respect to their fellow racers and to the cultures which they are visiting. I think that is a lot more than some of the other racers are doing (e.g. Duke & single moms). As a Kentuckian, I find myself rooting for them, even if the show's editors are playing the stereotype to its maximum potential.

FYI...David's t-shirt said "Belfry Back-to-Back". Belfry High School has an outstanding football team and has won 2 state high school football championships. Eastern Kentucky loves their high school football. Link to the school district's website: http://www.pike.k12.ky.us/ourschoolspage.html

heySkippy
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Lesson learned this week - pad TAR by an hour, missed the last 15 minutes and that pisses me off.

This is my first season of TAR so let me ask this. The episode description mentioned teams forming what I would call alliances in Survivor yet I didn't see that happening. Would this be normal for TAR?

Gunnyman
09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
alliances are much looser and can last as short as a part of a leg.
There haven't been any alliances formed this season. Usually by the 2nd leg there's at least 1 alliance. Hence my cut throat comment earlier in this thread.

RoundBoy
09-25-2006, 07:43 PM
People need to get over the "They didn't help us" whine ... welcome to the COMPETITION you are COMPETING in.. who cares if you came in 2nd or 4th, as long as you are not last?

I do.. especially when Phil is handing out 20k or trips to me-hee-co

What was the trouble the 2 girls had with the jeep? they started it up just fine when they left the roadblock ... they appeared to have stalled it (missed a shift, screwed the clutch, etc) .. so why not just restart it?? I didn't get the impression that there was anything else wrong ... just a brain freeze ??

And what exactly is a american vs non american car ?

Gunnyman
09-25-2006, 07:44 PM
one built in/designed for operation in America vs Not.

Gunnyman
09-25-2006, 07:45 PM
People need to get over the "They didn't help us" whine ... welcome to the COMPETITION you are COMPETING in.. who cares if you came in 2nd or 4th, as long as you are not last?

I do.. especially when Phil is handing out 20k or trips to me-hee-co

What was the trouble the 2 girls had with the jeep? they started it up just fine when they left the roadblock ... they appeared to have stalled it (missed a shift, screwed the clutch, etc) .. so why not just restart it?? I didn't get the impression that there was anything else wrong ... just a brain freeze ??

And what exactly is a american vs non american car ?
And I don't have a problem with the nothelping just noticed it seems to be starting early in this season's race.

Magnolia88
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Do they represent a majority of Kentuckians? I would say "No", but other than being nasty to each other, I think they are showing a great deal of respect to their fellow racers and to the cultures which they are visiting. I think that is a lot more than some of the other racers are doing (e.g. Duke & single moms). As a Kentuckian, I find myself rooting for them, even if the show's editors are playing the stereotype to its maximum potential.

I agree with you, and didn't mean anything derogatory about the Kentucky team. My comments were directed only at the "we've never met an Asian, we've never met a gay" remark.

Obviously that is not true for everybody in Kentucky (there are certainly Asian-Americans in KY, although not many and especially not in their part of KY), but it does feed into the "hillbilly" stereotype so that is what is being played up. But I liked how Mary sort of whispered that even though she'd never met any gays (or so she thinks), she liked them (Tom and Terry). And she loves the Asian brothers. So I agree that she is more open-minded than plenty of other TAR teams we've seen before.

Not sure about her husband yet. I wonder if he shares his wife's affection for the Cho brothers and Tom and Terry.

TiVo'Brien
09-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Lesson learned this week - pad TAR by an hour, missed the last 15 minutes and that pisses me off..............I don't understand. Up here in Orlando, everything started on time-- 60 Minutes, TAR, etc. I would assume everything on the east coast would be the same. :confused: With football ending at 4:00 and Sunday evening shows starting on time two weeks in a row, I was about to eliminate my 30 minute pad.

eddyj
09-26-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't understand. Up here in Orlando, everything started on time-- 60 Minutes, TAR, etc. I would assume everything on the east coast would be the same. :confused: With football ending at 4:00 and Sunday evening shows starting on time two weeks in a row, I was about to eliminate my 30 minute pad.
It has to do with whether CBS is showing a late game in your area or not. If not, then no problems. If they are, then the show WILL be delayed, anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour.

TiVo'Brien
09-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Okay, that makes sense -- the NFL doesn't deem Orlando worthy of viewing the Dolphins. (At least I assume it was the Dolphins again.)

Lee L
09-26-2006, 08:49 AM

I think his truck was just not capable of going faster. When tehy passed him he just seemed resigned, like "there goes another one" so I think he just had the pedal down all teh way and was topped out. Those things looked like they were not exactly geared for top end anyway when new, which they were far from.

eddyj
09-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Okay, that makes sense -- the NFL doesn't deem Orlando worthy of viewing the Dolphins. (At least I assume it was the Dolphins again.)
Dolphins were early game. We got no late game in our area (so all was on time).

RMBittner
09-26-2006, 09:05 AM
We had a weird thing happen on our local cable system: They were running the football-delayed show fine -- and I have my TiVo set up to record a solid 4-hour block from 8:00-Midnight -- but as soon as 9:00 came around, "The Amazing Race" ended with a fadeout on the moms stuck in the mud. . . and "Cold Case" began right on time!

We were watching the show after the fact, and I was sure my new Series 3 had glitched somehow. But I couldn't figure out how that could possibly have occurred; it was just too coincidental that "Cold Case" began exactly when it was supposed to, even though it should have been off by 10-15 minutes.

Oddly, as soon as the last "Without a Trace" credits rolled, the final 10 minutes of "WaT" began again and played out completely. THEN the local news came on. So it looks like somehow the delayed airing got interrupted by an on-time airing. . . and when the on-time airing finished, we dropped back to the football-delayed version.

All of that to say: Yeah, we missed the last 10-15 minutes of "Race" too!<g>

Bob

brianric
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't understand. Up here in Orlando, everything started on time-- 60 Minutes, TAR, etc. I would assume everything on the east coast would be the same. :confused: With football ending at 4:00 and Sunday evening shows starting on time two weeks in a row, I was about to eliminate my 30 minute pad.
Same here in New Jersey (Philly market). Anyone who wants me to burn a copy of the show 2 on DVD at no charge, PM me with your name and address.

brianric
09-26-2006, 09:20 AM
This is my first season of TAR so let me ask this. The episode description mentioned teams forming what I would call alliances in Survivor yet I didn't see that happening. Would this be normal for TAR?
You build alliances in Survivor because the participants vote a person off each week. In TAR, you get eliminated based on coming in last.

Bob Coxner
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
All I remember from last night's episode is all the whining that was going on. Very annoying. That and the fact that Football made 60 Minutes eat up recording time of Amazing Race and I missed the last 15 minutes. Unfortunately, this will happen again because I am currently using the BH HD-DVR and it has no padding feature. As soon as the price for the Series 3 goes down to something managable, I will gladly pay the price for admission.

Even if you can't pad you can simply record the following program. Same result.

heySkippy
09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
You build alliances in Survivor because the participants vote a person off each week. In TAR, you get eliminated based on coming in last.
Yeah, I get that. I was just surprised that there would be any alliance potential in TAR.

Do the teams get to socialize in the down time between legs?

Lee L
09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
They do socialize sometimes as even though they leave "12 hours" after their arrival, it has been stated a several places by crew mwmbers and such that due to logistics, sometimes it is actually 36 hours after. Even with just 12 hours, often they stay in communal housing provided by the show or arrive close to the same time and share hotel rooms to cut costs.

Anubys
09-26-2006, 10:25 AM
They do socialize sometimes as even though they leave "12 hours" after their arrival, it has been stated a several places by crew mwmbers and such that due to logistics, sometimes it is actually 36 hours after. Even with just 12 hours, often they stay in communal housing provided by the show or arrive close to the same time and share hotel rooms to cut costs.

I think it was the last TAR that the two guys shacked up with team pink...and "nothing happened" (wink wink) :)

markz
09-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I get that. I was just surprised that there would be any alliance potential in TAR.

Socialize between legs?!!! What show are you watching? :D

pdhenry
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Same here in New Jersey (Philly market).Interesting - Harrisburg/Lancaster/York was delayed. I wouldn't expect the games to be different. I guess sometimes we go with what's showing in Pittsburgh, though.

DevdogAZ
09-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Even if you can't pad you can simply record the following program. Same result.
Apparently not if you live in Charlotte, Michigan.

TBDigital
09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
'Alliance' is probably the wrong term, but in past seasons, you definitely will see some teams trying to stick together, either because they enjoy each other's company (see: Season 2's Boston Boys and Tera - Will, not so much), or because they have a common enemy (the teams banding together to try to defeat Rob and Amber in Season 7, or trying to beat the twins in Season 3). But you can't do another team's tasks, so this usually takes the form of sharing info, or following each other to tasks. In the end, each team lives or dies depending on how well they do in the tasks.

Although, if the cheerleaders had found someone to team up with in this episode, they wouldn't have been lost all of the time, and probably would have done much better.

trainman
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Interesting - Harrisburg/Lancaster/York was delayed. I wouldn't expect the games to be different. I guess sometimes we go with what's showing in Pittsburgh, though.

All of the areas that are on this map in yellow had "The Amazing Race" delayed, because the local CBS affiliate was showing the Baltimore-Cleveland game, which started at 4:00 Eastern.

http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/03-CBS.gif

Joeg180
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Slightly off topic, but, can't the local affiliates air additional games? I thought I had read that they could do that?

TriBruin
09-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Slightly off topic, but, can't the local affiliates air additional games? I thought I had read that they could do that?

Taking things even further off topics.

I know the NFL has very strigent rules about what games can and can not be shown in certain markets.

For example, since CBS had only a single game AND the Bears played a 12:00 (CST) game, the local CBS affiliate could only scheduled the 3:00PM (CST) game.

Base on this, you are most likely to have your TAR (or other CBS Sunday night shows) delayed if you live in an east coast NFC market (games are usually on Fox and at noon).

hefe
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

It used to be part of Phil's description that at the pit stops, teams can "eat, sleep, and socialize with the other teams."

Oh yeah, and "F" football. :mad:

I hate that they moved TAR to volatile scheduling Sundays.

I had to enlist the services of a Mr. B. Torrent to see the last 15 minutes of the show.

cherry ghost
09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Good news, season 11 in the spring

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-cbsordersamazingrace11,0,3608216.story?coll=zap-tv-headlines

catcard
09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
(sigh) have watched all 9 previous TARs, but for some reason they lost me this time... cancelled my season pass for TAR 10 after 2nd episode. I even lasted thru the family version :(

eddyj
09-29-2006, 04:00 PM
(sigh) have watched all 9 previous TARs, but for some reason they lost me this time... cancelled my season pass for TAR 10 after 2nd episode. I even lasted thru the family version :(
May I ask why? This season seems pretty good so far.

KyleLC
10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
It didn't meet our western ideal of politeness, but it really didn't surprise me much. Other cultures don't share our sense of what's polite, or things like how much "personal space" we're comfortable with.Yes. I used to take business trips to Indonesia. It's very common to be stared at just because you're of a different race. You get used to it.