PDA

View Full Version : My Name Is Earl- "Very Bad Things" OAD: 9/21/06

bidger
09-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Fave line of the show was Crabman's "That's how the Federlines roll". :p

Liked Randy's helium balloon bit, but the ep. ran out of steam at the end for me.

cherry ghost
09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
The different looks on Joy's and Earl's faces when Randy did the "monkey grab" were
hilarious.

scoblitz
09-22-2006, 12:07 AM
I was a bit disappointed - not a very strong premiere.

SB

JYoung
09-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Not the funniest or best episode of Earl.
Although the last line made me laugh out loud.

DaveyG
09-22-2006, 01:17 AM
I laughed my ass off during the scene where Earl is coming back with the gas and sees Randy painting. The delivery and unexpectedness cracked me up...

Earl: How'd you know where to find us?
Randy: I went back to the woods and the truck was gone, but I found the note you left.
Earl: I didn't leave a note.
Randy: I know Earl, I was being sar-castic. You shoulda left a note. I mean, you don't have to add it to your list or anything, but it would have been nice.

dtle
09-22-2006, 02:25 AM
No Catalina, but Joy in tight clothings for most of the show is a good alternate.

EMoMoney
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
"We represent the lollypop guild"
I think this episode had a lot of undertones for Earl and Joy possibly reconciling at some point in the future. Like most, it had a few chuckles for me, but that's what the show was for me last year. Some episodes were good, some were just ok.

crowfan
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
The line about Randy liking the spraypaint because of the combination of fumes and bright colors really had me LOL. :D

TiVo'Brien
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Enjoyable episode. I'm surprised Joy actually went to jail. It'll be a good story line for the rest of the season, though.

Steveknj
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I actually thought it was very good. There were some great lines. I love that the balloons that Randy sucked in didn't have helium. I loved the line about Randy and Crab Man watching Dr. Phil, but they have also watched too much Springer :)

Still one of only three sitcoms that consitantly make me laugh, this HIMYM and Scrubs. Family Guy does too, but I'm getting a bit bored with that (same jokes every week) and I'm not sure if that's considered a sitcom.

NoThru22
09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I absolutely loved all the faces they freezed on Joy. That was my favorite part(s) of the show.

skaeight
09-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Can you ask him if we can have bubble gum for dinner?

TR7spyder
09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I agree that this wasn’t the funniest episode, but still, it had plenty of laughs for me!

I am definitely glad that the show is back!

pmyers
09-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I was dissapointed.

BriGuy20
09-22-2006, 11:08 AM
It was pretty good. Not the best Earl I've seen, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Is it standard procedure that Joy have at least one "OH, SNAP!" per episode?

5thcrewman
09-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I like Joy's pig-tail braids. I'd use them like reins, yes I would!

cbordman
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM

+1

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Not a very good episode. However, I liked the when the guy drove off in the truck, and Randy said, "I put him in the truck like you told me to."

PeternJim
09-22-2006, 12:21 PM
I hurt myself when Joy informed Earl that she stole the truck on principle, "You know, like when Rosa Parks stole that bus."

But having Joy end up in jail? Given what she is charged with, she's going to be out for what, 15 years? No chance of good behavior for her! Unless she doesn't get convicted or gets out on a technicality (I hope I sense another episode plot), she's out of the series, which would suck. What's up with that?

supasta
09-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Each episode seems to lose the fire that earlier episodes had. The writers seem to be slowly losing it.

scheckeNYK
09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I think this episode had a lot of undertones for Earl and Joy possibly reconciling at some point in the future.

definitely felt that too.

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
But having Joy end up in jail? Given what she is charged with, she's going to be out for what, 15 years? No chance of good behavior for her! Unless she doesn't get convicted or gets out on a technicality (I hope I sense another episode plot), she's out of the series, which would suck. What's up with that?
Yes, I agree. Kidnapping is a very serious offense, so if they don't address it and have her get out in a couple of episodes without explanation, that will be very disappointing.

pdhenry
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Just curious -- do you people sit around discussing how unusual it is that Wile E. Coyote bounces right back after being hit by an anvil?

DreadPirateRob
09-22-2006, 12:50 PM
My favorite line was "Kevin and Britney - they're like American Royalty!!!" said admiringly by Joy. :up: :D

Other than that, I thought it was funny, but average.

NoThru22
09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
The next episode:
Is called Jump For Joy and involves Joy needing a large sum of money. Probably for her defense or bail.
Catalina is in the episode's description as well! I hate how little she is utilized.

Aniketos
09-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Just curious -- do you people sit around discussing how unusual it is that Wile E. Coyote bounces right back after being hit by an anvil?

And why hasn't the Acme company been sued yet?

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
:rolleyes:

skaeight
09-22-2006, 12:56 PM
I know you're saying the conversation here is somewhat petty, however the whole point of this forum is to talk about tv. Not the weightiest subject in the world, but it's nice to take a break from heavy stuff once in a while.

MickeS
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Man, I laughed SO MUCH during this episode. Hands down the funniest episode in the entire series. Jamie Pressly is great, almost everyone of her lines in this one killed me. "At least he's thinking, it's not his fault he's bad at it!"

I will save this episode, I have a feeling I'll see it many more times.

I think they can drag out the "Joy goes to jail" storyline for a while. It's not like she'll go to jail right away, if she's let out on bail. And who knows, it might not lead to much anyway (it's a TV comedy after all).

scottykempf
09-22-2006, 01:39 PM
"I'm gonna get me one of them disappearing TV thingies." LOL

bidger
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I hurt myself when Joy informed Earl that she stole the truck on principle, "You know, like when Rosa Parks stole that bus."
Oh yeah, forgot that one. :)

That would be a good premise for a segment of a show, have Joy give a brief history of civil rights.

jgerry
09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
"That's how the Federlines roll" was the funniest line for me. And while it had some good moments, and contrasted with how incredibly fantastic the season premiere of The Office was... For me, it was a weak episode.

And where the hell is Catalina? Bring back Catalina!!!

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
"I'm gonna get me one of them disappearing TV thingies." LOL
When she said that, I thought it must be one of those cabinets where the plasma TV slides down inside at the push of a button. However, it was even funnier when it just turned out to be an entertainment center with doors.

sketcher
09-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I know you're saying the conversation here is somewhat petty
I think he was referring to the people who are saying they will be disappointed if the writers never resolve the issue of Joy commiting grand theft auto, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, etc. It's a sitcom. If none of this is ever resolved and Joy just goes on happily living in the trailer, so what. It won't detract in the least from my enjoyment of the show.

DreadPirateRob
09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
When she said that, I thought it must be one of those cabinets where the plasma TV slides down inside at the push of a button. However, it was even funnier when it just turned out to be an entertainment center with doors.

+1

TonyD79
09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
My favorite was when Joy told the fence (about the Iranian baby he sold):

"Yeah, like they aren't going to know he is Iranian when he is old enough to talk."

I reallly like the episode. Had me laughing all the way thru.

cmontyburns
09-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree with those that felt this episode was enjoyable, but not the best the show has had to offer. But even the weaker eps always feel fresh to me because the show works so hard at twisting the plot around into setpieces and scenes you just don't see anywhere else. Randy whitewashing his name off the side of a stolen truck by the highway while Joy chases an accidental kidnap victim around in his underwear? Maybe they didn't get all the comedy out of that they could have (maybe), but at least it wasn't a husband and wife sitting around their house cracking lame jokes about marriage.

appleye1
09-22-2006, 03:23 PM
So did Earl not work on his list this episode, or did I miss it? It wasn't prevalent anyway. I can't recall an episode before that wasn't centered around the list.

FilmCritic3000
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
So did Earl not work on his list this episode, or did I miss it? It wasn't prevalent anyway. I can't recall an episode before that wasn't centered around the list.

He did work on the list in this episode: number 183 on his list - “Never took Joy’s side”.

By the way in a recent interview with Jason Lee, he said that this season they're going to mix things up by having Earl unable to complete some of the things he sets out to accomplish re: the list.

JYoung
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Well the list item was "Never took Joy's side in an arguement" which is what started all this.
In helping Joy, he felt like he was taking her side.

midas
09-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Enjoyable episode. I'm surprised Joy actually went to jail. It'll be a good story line for the rest of the season, though.

Joy in a woman's prison, comedic gold.

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Well the list item was "Never took Joy's side in an arguement" which is what started all this.
In helping Joy, he felt like he was taking her side.
It started when Joy and Crabman were arguing and she wanted him to throw her a surprise party. So Earl decided to help Crabman throw the party, which would be taking her side in that argument. However, by throwing the party, Joy lost the chance to sell the truck to the fence's wife, so Earl felt like he had to help out.

busyba
09-22-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking more of the shower scene potential...

PeternJim
09-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Of course, this does leave us with the potential of an escaped felon married to a guy in the witness protection program, with Earl, Randy, and an illegal (Catalina) right in the middle of it all. Depending on what exactly Crabman is (was) mixed up in before, could get very interesting very fast!

DevdogAZ
09-22-2006, 06:46 PM
OH SNAP!!

;)

darthrsg
09-22-2006, 08:25 PM
What did Earl ask Randy at the end in bed, right before the monkey question?

Sherminator
09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
And why hasn't the Acme company been sued yet?[Off Topic]
Seeing that Acme is a real company, why haven't they sued Looney Tunes for misrepresentation of their products?
[Back To Topic]Yes, I agree. Kidnapping is a very serious offense, so if they don't address it and have her get out in a couple of episodes without explanation, that will be very disappointing.Has The Simpsons explained why Bart, Lisa & Maggie haven't aged in the last 18 years, how Homer keeps his job, or Family Guy ever said where The Griffins get their income since Mr. Weed passed away leading to the closure of the toy factory?

busyba
09-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Has The Simpsons explained why Bart, Lisa & Maggie haven't aged in the last 18 years, how Homer keeps his job, or Family Guy ever said where The Griffins get their income since Mr. Weed passed away leading to the closure of the toy factory?
Or how Kenny keeps dying over and over for that matter....

Those are cartoons. Granted, Earl is cartoonish, but when a show is live action, there's a certain minimal degree of realism that's going to be expected by the viewers.

bruinfan
09-22-2006, 10:02 PM
What did Earl ask Randy at the end in bed, right before the monkey question?
do you think it's my fault joy's in jail?

DevdogAZ
09-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Has The Simpsons explained why Bart, Lisa & Maggie haven't aged in the last 18 years, how Homer keeps his job, or Family Guy ever said where The Griffins get their income since Mr. Weed passed away leading to the closure of the toy factory?
In addition to it being a cartoon, it has never had a tradition of carrying over situations from one episode to another. That's a hallmark of The Simpsons, and many other animated shows. However, MNIE has already established that things that happen in one episode are still considered to have happened in future episodes. It might be a sitcom, but it's not animated, and it's not Gilligan's Island or Hogan's Heroes either.

darthrsg
09-23-2006, 03:28 AM
do you think it's my fault joy's in jail?
Thanks, that was killing me to remember it.

Anubys
09-23-2006, 07:39 AM
I think this was a great start...my problem with season 1 was that we didn't have enough Joy and we had too much Catalina...

I'm not talking about looks or anything like that...Joy is just funny as hell...Catalina is just there, doesn't add much to the show...

so if this is the trend of things to come, I'm all for it...

PeternJim
09-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I think that one of the real joys of the series (pun not intended, but I'll go with it) is the secondary characters that play through the series, Kenny the gay copy store manager, the daytime hooker, the psycho ex-con -- even the members of Earl's English class. I hope they keep that up as the season goes on.

SparkleMotion
09-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm not talking about looks or anything like that...Joy is just funny as hell...Catalina is just there, doesn't add much to the show...

so if this is the trend of things to come, I'm all for it...I love it when they're together...preferably with Joy drunk and Catalina pissed off. :)

NoThru22
09-23-2006, 12:00 PM
or Family Guy ever said where The Griffins get their income since Mr. Weed passed away leading to the closure of the toy factory?
Peter became a fisherman. But I don't think they've explained what he's done since his boat got destroyed.

tigercat74
09-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Peter became a fisherman. But I don't think they've explained what he's done since his boat got destroyed.

He got a job working at Pawtucket Pat Brewery.

IndyJones1023
09-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Damn, Jaime Pressley is looking hawt!

SparkleMotion
09-23-2006, 04:05 PM
What, did she stop at some point? :confused:

IndyJones1023
09-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Sorry, I meant hotter. Somehow.

Sherminator
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
He got a job working at Pawtucket Pat Brewery.Didn't he get let go because of his excessive testing of the product.

OK, I retract the Peter Griffin example, because as I went to reply, I remembered that Peter is working in an office where he was under the guy with a block of wood in his head, then under the robot from a kids TV series (I wasn't in the US when the kids show aired, & I can't remember it's name when mentioned in FG.)

Bondelev
09-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by midas

Wow... gold 'n showers....

Bondelev
09-24-2006, 03:00 AM

I prefered "Like Robin Hood, Batman, and Jesus."

The only problem with the epsiode was a big one. The lack of a satisfying ending.

That and a few badly written throwaway dialogue scenes.

SparkleMotion
09-24-2006, 03:37 AM
I have to admit, on that line, I actually pictured a TV show featuring Robin Hood, Batman, and Jesus. :D (And I still really want to watch that show.)

IndyJones1023
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I thought he mispronounced it as "Featherlines."

terpfan1980
09-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow... gold 'n showers....

Joy: Just pee a circle around him and the wild animals won't attack.
Earl: I'm not gonna...
Joy (starts unbuttoning her shorts): do I have to do this all myself?

:D

Hunter Green
09-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I wasn't disappointed. I think in the break I kind of forgot how irredeemably, unrelentingly, completely awful Joy can be. Every time there's something awful she could say or do, she not only does it, she does it even more awful than I thought. I was in stitches the whole time.

bdlucas
09-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Seeing that Acme is a real company, why haven't they sued Looney Tunes for misrepresentation of their products?
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

pdhenry
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
And why hasn't the Acme company been sued yet?Well... (http://www.lectlaw.com/files/fun19.htm)

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2006, 03:34 PM

I'm a bit late to the game here...but that was hilarious...
I also get a good chuckle out of some people not understanding how a true sitcom works...

Meathead
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
The only real thing that is consistent in this show is the list, and even that is being done out of sequqnce.

Catalina has made refrences to loving her mom, then she made a comment about killing her mom ("It was here or me"). Crabman has spoken about growing up in contradiction to him being in witness protection. The story of how Joy got Earl to marry her has been told at least three different ways.

My point is that this is not exactly a show that has to go lock step with everything. If Joy is not in jail next week, they will probably explain it off with a single line & I won't lose a wink of sleep over it. If she stays in jail, I am sure they will figure out how to work it in to the show & it will be funny.

scheckeNYK
09-25-2006, 02:19 PM
list item # 293: got joy sent to jail.

watch earl and his wacky brother randy try to right the wrong of sending his ex-wife joy to prison.

IndyJones1023
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Next week's preview looks awesome!

PeteEggebeen
09-25-2006, 02:30 PM
I thought the episode was great. Just reading thru all the quotes has me laughing all over again :)

cwoody222
09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I liked the episode, wasn't disappointed at all.

I liked Earl's British accent and Joy explaining that British people "drink tea and live in castles" :)