PDA

View Full Version : You have got to start watching Jimmy Kimmel!

IndyJones1023
09-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I usually watch his show as I drift off to sleep. Last night I watched last Thursday's show. He absolutely killed. His comedy is spot on. He uses a lot of video clips to make commentary. And to good effect.

Give it a week. I think he's more entertaining than most late night hosts.

TAsunder
09-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I like jimmy kimmel but he does one thing that I do not like once in a while... he makes fun of people in a mean-spirited way for no real reason, sometimes devoting a whole segment to it. But I really like his seemingly un-rehearsed interviews and the music guests tend to be more interesting.

mwhip
09-21-2006, 12:11 PM
I use this (http://interbridge.com/lineups.html) site to see who is coming up on all talk shows. This is about the only time I watch Kimmel and I think it is because of what TAsunder said. I do like Kimmel's interview style the questions seem organic and not rehearsed.

ireland967
09-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I've been a Kimmel fan since at least when The Man Show premiered, and I had very high expectations for his show. Maybe that's the problem, but I gave it a couple weeks when it first premiered and couldn't get into it. I'll give it another look.

TAsunder
09-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm pleased to see the decemberists are on conan on tuesday the 3rd to promote their new album!

marksman
09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I have watched it since the show launched. It has had some rocky times, but I think now it is one of the better late night shows out there. There skits and bits are the best out there. Conan used to have the best bits, but I would give it to Kimmel now. I do see him having developed a real strong comfort level with a lot of guests now which makes the show more interesting.

However, the bits are the best part of the show. Some very good stuff.

IndyJones1023
09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I think his monologues are better than the bits. Guillermo is hit or miss. Uncle Frank is usually funny because he's so confused. Cousin Sal I usually don't find funny. But the monologues with the video interspersed are great!

cbordman
09-21-2006, 02:39 PM
is it HD yet?

IndyJones1023
09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
is it HD yet?
Dunno. I watch on the SD box in the bedroom.

Are any late night shows in HD?

billypritchard
09-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Dunno. I watch on the SD box in the bedroom.

Are any late night shows in HD?

Leno, Letterman, Conan.

Not sure about Kimmel, as our ABC affiliate is owned by the b-wads at Sinclair and refuse to let Charter carry the HD feed.

Down with Sinclair!

IndyJones1023
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Hell, we didn't even have Kimmel for the first 3 years thanks to the idiots running our station.

IndyJones1023
09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
For example, last night he ripped on Rosie taking over the view. He played a clip, seen unaltered here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TSkb8HSS44

In it he paused at about the 1:07 mark and pointed out how you can't even see any of the other hosts. In the moment, it was hilarious.

MassD
09-21-2006, 04:25 PM
he makes fun of people in a mean-spirited way for no real reason, sometimes devoting a whole segment to it.

And this is a problem how?

;)

What would the world be if we couldn't make fun of people getting made fun of?

TAsunder
09-21-2006, 04:41 PM
What would the world be if we couldn't make fun of people getting made fun of?

Huh?

The issue is just the maliciousness of his jokes. Jimmy is like that annoying husband/wife who weasels out of constant criticisms by saying it was just a joke. Sometimes it gets a bit tiresome to watch him do that. He even makes fun of his own "friends" sometimes. I don't mind it once in a while, after all I enjoy "Jaywalking", but he does seem to do it a bit much. Still, I watch his show more than letterman and leno.

Michelle5150
09-21-2006, 06:08 PM
I used to watch Kimmel all the time. Now mostly just when the others are in rerun, which is often. His monologues are good when they use real footage of stuff, not their phony made up, gag voiceover clips. The real stuff from reality shows and the news is pure gold. And "This Week in Unecessary Censorship" is the greatest bit of all time. :-)

But I can't stand cousin Sal. It's not making fun of people that's the problem, it's being mean and humiliating people for laughs that is. I can't stand that. It's painful to watch, and I just don't find it funny. Never have. Sadly, it's caught on, lots of shows do it. Candid Camera practical jokes are one thing, but some of the stuff they do these days is really just about humiliating people, not having fun with them. There's a difference.