PDA

View Full Version : Are the Early Adopters doing more of Tivo's work than we should?

boblip11
09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I realize that being an "Early Adopter" involves spending more money and time to debug something for the thrill of being first on the block to have the latest and greatest item. (Yes, I am waiting for my S3 to arrive....)

I do it with Tivo's, computers, Microsoft Operating Systems....it is fun...but at times you lose a little hair (ok sometimes a lot of hair with Microsoft OS's)

But I am growing a bit suprised and concerned that Tivo did not do enough pre-work with the cable companies on "greasing the skids" on getting multiple cablecards installed easier.

Let's use Comcast as an example (which is my cable co). Tivo and Comcast are working on a device together...so there is a complex exisiting relationship. Couldn't Tivo have gotten a person in comcast to put a technote in the customer support data base about how to handle the product? Or a person to refer issues to within Comcast? Or a person at Tivo to email who has worked with Comcast to get ready and can help clear up issues.

Other than a letter published in trade mags...it almost feels like no prework was done.

Yes, I realize that there a lots of cable companies out there...but there are several big ones that most of us use. WOrk with the top 5 first.

Just to jump to the thought that someone will raise..should we have been compensated more for this pain??....For me, that is not my concern....I understand what I am getting into (or think I understand)....I just wonder whether more could have been done to ease the pain.

DrDravenStone
09-13-2006, 03:17 PM
you're assuming that there was no effort made other than the letter in the trade mag.
Cable companies, even the really big guys, basically have separate infastructures in every market. Tivo can't work pre-emptively (realistically) with every market, so they would only be able to inform someone high up at "corporate" what happens after that... anyone's guess.

Frankly, even if Tivo said/did NOTHING, the cable companies are at fault here. CableCard is mandated, it's Law. Just because they haven't trained their own support staff to understand something that (albeit new) is a fundamental aspect of the way they are required to do business is not something I would consider Tivo's responsibility.

The fact that they published a letter at all shows that Tivo was cognizant of the fact that not all cable co's were up to speed and they were pro-actively trying to get some info out there. On top of that we have seen today in this very forum that they are also willing to go the extra mile hand in hand with individual subscribers to make sure there are no cable card issues at the local level. Seriously, they are willing to get on the phone with a customer and that customers cable co CSR/tech team? That's not bad...

jfh3
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
And I just got an email from a Comcast tech I know that said this morning the supervisor passed out copies of the Tivo CableCard installation instructions to all the installers in the office, so some are making the effort.

boblip11
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
you're assuming that there was no effort made other than the letter in the trade mag.

No...I am sure they did other stuff. I am just asking if they could have done more.

Frankly, even if Tivo said/did NOTHING, the cable companies are at fault here. CableCard is mandated, it's Law. Just because they haven't trained their own support staff to understand something that (albeit new) is a fundamental aspect of the way they are required to do business is not something I would consider Tivo's responsibility.

I agree that cable companies are at fault. No question about it. And I understand it is the law. I think of cable companies as "evil empires". And while I agree that it should not be Tivo's responsibility....they are probably one of the keys to the success of the S3.

HDTiVo
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
All I know is this Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd will be taking advantage of you.