PDA

View Full Version : Grandfathered Series 1 Lifetime Transfer

MScottC
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Has anyone had any success ordering a new S3 and transferring over Lifetime from a GRANDFATHERED (Pre Jan 20, 2000) S1? It seems that the very nice folks (and I mean that sincerely) at TiVO are not communicating. Customer Support acknowledges the ability to do that, however they can't actually sell the box. On the other hand, Sales, including a very nice woman who is in charge of the telephone sales floor, knows nothing about it. According to the folks she's spoken to, there are absolutely NO waivers of the $199 VIP fee. I have given her the info and pointed her to URLS on both here and on tivo.com, and she is looking into it for me. But I'd like to know if anyone else has found a better way.

Thanks

Scott

petew
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
AFAIK go to www.tivo.com/vip to order the box. Then call the VIP line (866) 424-8486 when it arrives to transfer the lifetime with no charge if you have a grandfarthered S1.

kreuille
09-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't have the Series one, but I just called about a series two that is on the fritz, and my understanding from Tivo was that I can buy a series three from them and get the lifetime service transferred for an "upgrade charge." My service person had no idea what that upgrade charge would be, but she said I should keep checking my e-mail and to find out.

I left that conversation a bit frusturated.

Also found that if circuit city does not give me a new tivo box (product is under extendend warranty) I will have to choose to buy any new box (s2) at circuit city or they won't transfer the lifetime. said they only transfer lifetime for boxes with manufacturing defects but won't replace the defective box purchased at CC with one purchased at Tivo which is probably fine, because I am going to go with an extended warranty anyway.

If i find out any more, I will let you know.

Kristi

kreuille
09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
checked out PeteW's post. it sounds like to do this, the s3 must be purchased through tivo - if i purchase it through circuit city, the lifetime service won't transfer. Problem is, if I purchase at tivo, I can't get the extended warranty.

catch 22, I think

Gregor
09-13-2006, 11:49 AM
If you have a grandfathered S1, you can move it to an S3 (or an S2 for that matter) you buy anywhere.

The only case is if you want to move non-grandfathered lifetime, you have to buy the S3 from Tivo.

MScottC
09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Right after I posted my question, a member of the sales team called me back. Pete hit the nail on the head. Order thru the VIP page. Then when the box arrives, call customer support and mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

kirbster
09-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I apologize if this is redundant. I just want to confirm that the grandfather(pre jan 2000) transfer can be done on a series 3 purchased retail.

megazone
09-14-2006, 04:16 AM
I apologize if this is redundant. I just want to confirm that the grandfather(pre jan 2000) transfer can be done on a series 3 purchased retail.Yes, the grandfathered transfer can be done no matter where the S3 is purchased.