PDA

View Full Version : Charter Cable and Cable Card Help!

cotton168
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Okay, I preordered my S3 and went to ask Charter Cable for cable cards. The guy I chatted with was helpful and said that my area was cable card ready and so I was able to order it. I was fine with the whole installation thing, but he then comes back and said that I was not able to get one because he talked about upconverting. It was either the cablebox or the cable cards was what he basically said.

Our household has 3 cableboxes (1 with digital cable and 2 with basic). Have any of you heard about me not being able to get cable card and that it is one or the other? I've never heard of it before. He said that he was going to check into it some more, but I cannot believe that I have to choose their box or live without the S3 that I have been anticipating for such a long time. :eek:

jfh3
09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
The rep is clueless. No reason you can't have both cable cards and converters on the same account.

cotton168
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey jfh3! That is very good news to hear. Do you think I should call Charter again and try to order it? The guy told me that he talked to his supervisor who also said that it could not be done. :( Do ou also have Charter?

jdmass
09-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Call again and speak to another rep. When I got my HDTV and called Charter about their HD DVR service, I got 3 different price quotes from 3 different reps. You could tell that the first two were clueless because of their hesitation and continually putting me on hold to answer every little question. The 3rd rep clearly knew what she was talking about.

cotton168
09-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Cool! Thanks jdmass. Let's hope that when my brother and I go to Charter's office that someone over there will know what on earth they are talking about!

jfh3
09-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey jfh3! That is very good news to hear. Do you think I should call Charter again and try to order it? The guy told me that he talked to his supervisor who also said that it could not be done. :( Do ou also have Charter?

Actually, I don't have Charter.

I did read in another thread later on that there may be a problem with their billing system that would prevent having cable cards and a converter on the same account, but that's their problem.

Call back and remind them that they are required to supply cablecards for use on any CableLabs approved device.

cotton168
09-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Actually, I don't have Charter.

I did read in another thread later on that there may be a problem with their billing system that would prevent having cable cards and a converter on the same account, but that's their problem.

Call back and remind them that they are required to supply cablecards for use on any CableLabs approved device.

That's a good plan jfh3! I think I will be checking in with Charter again and seeing how they can alleviate this problem that is bumming me out because I really want to use the S3. Going with the S2 without HD is a real pain, but I have come to live with it until the S3 comes along. :)

cotton168
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey Everyone!

I have wonderful news (so far) and that is after all the drama that Charter gave me yesterday, I ended up calling them again and basically just told them that I wanted two cable cards. The guy asked if I wanted to swap out one cable box and I told him that was exactly what I wanted to do and he made the installation order up and told me that I was all set!

NO DRAMA whatsoever from him. He tried to tell me to go with the Charter DVR because I was going to lose their interactive stuff as well as VOD, but I was willing to live with that since I don't use it. :) It still remains to be seen whether the install guy will be okay with having a Tivo box and 2 regular SA boxes, but I really don't see why. :) Cannot wait until Monday!!

Thanks jfh3 and jdmass for your help! Greatly appreciated. BTW, I was also told by a Buy Tivo sales person that our S3s will begin shipping today. :D Very excited about that one as well. Have a good one!!!

rainwater
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
It still remains to be seen whether the install guy will be okay with having a Tivo box and 2 regular SA boxes, but I really don't see why. :)

Don't worry, the installer could care less what the cable companies billing policies are. :)

Installing cable cards is usually an easy process. It doesn't hurt to provide the sheet with the TiVo CC installer information for the installer though.

cotton168
09-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey rainwater!

Thanks for the tidbit and the bit of relief that the installer probably would not care. Where would I find the Tivo CC installer info?

sanjeevp
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Charter Cable charges $2 a month for cable cards. I have TiVo HD and had the Charter guy come today to install cable cards. He spent 5 hours, tried 2 cable cards and could not get any of them to work.

Does anyone have solution to the problem of getting Charter Cable cards to work with TiVo HD?

rainwater
01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Charter Cable charges $2 a month for cable cards. I have TiVo HD and had the Charter guy come today to install cable cards. He spent 5 hours, tried 2 cable cards and could not get any of them to work.

Does anyone have solution to the problem of getting Charter Cable cards to work with TiVo HD?

Do you still have the 2 CableCards? If so, you could call the TiVo CableCard hotline and they will get on the line with Charter. In most cases, this is all that is needed.

radioIOguy
02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I am Michael Roe, and am a Charter customer.
I purchased a TiVo hd3 for Christmas.

Since December I have:
had 4 charter technicians in my home;
had new cable ran into the home (have line signal strength of 94);
had TiVo replace the device twice (on third unit);
had charter replace cable cards (on fifth set of cards)

Just using logic here, I think it’s safe to assume that the issues I am having:
are not field tech related;
are not "cable into my home" related;
are not TiVo device related;
are not cable card related

Rather, the issue MUST be PAIRING RELATED.

When I call charter customer support (escalated to a supervisor), they ask me for the SERIAL NUMBER of the cable cards (I have two) there is only ONE serial number on the back of each card.

They then tell me that they have "hit" the card (sent "reauthorizations", "another hit", you name it...)

Yet the TiVo device itself (in the cable card menu, conditional access) shows that the cards are NOT paired...

All that to ask, what is it that charter should be pairing TO?
Or put another way, charter should be pairing what WITH what in their system?

The cable card (charter) "serial number" with the (TiVo) "host id"?
The cable card (charter) "serial number" with the (TiVo) "unit address"?

The cable card (TiVo) "cable card id" with the (TiVo) "host id"?
The cable card (TiVo) "cable card id" with the (TiVo) "unit address"?

* The charter cable card "serial number" and the TiVo indicated "cable card id" are NOT the same. and the "host id" and "unit address" are not the same. and then of course there is the TIVO SERVICE # (I can find no TiVo serial number for the device) which is different than the host id and unit address.

The folks at TIVO say that there is nothing they can do (and I buy that...I really do)

The folks at CHARTER don’t seem to KNOW what to do (even though some agents have been extremely helpful, they really do seem to be totally (intentionally?) clueless and to have had no training whatsoever with either cable cards or TiVo.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I’m open to ANYTHING at this point... even PAID SUPPORT!
Ttherwise, I have an 800 doorstop.

feel free to contact me:
mike@michaelrroe.com

Mike

Pokeyjoe
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I live in Long Beach, CA and have Charter. The telephone reps are clueless, but I got a great installer (one "M" card).

troilore
02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Mo 63385,
1 M card, took about 10 hits from charter and still some channels no showing.
1 week later, charter phone hookup, installer says's what is this filter still doing here on your cable?
Turns out I had basic cable before with my internet and charter installs a blocker that needs to be removed from the cable in order to let the cards be hit by charter.
BTW all channels came in when blocker was removed, no need to call them either.

ab1137
03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Iím open to ANYTHING at this point... even PAID SUPPORT!
Ttherwise, I have an 800 doorstop.

feel free to contact me:
mike@michaelrroe.com
Mike

Mike, I went through a very similar situation the past 5-6 weeks with charter in Greenville, SC. I had 7 tech visits (2 didn't show), 6 M-Cards installed, hours spent on the phone with charter and tivo, 2 Tivo boxes, and was getting no where. When all I would get from charter was "I'm Sorry" and "We will reschedule your appointment for....4-5 days from now..." I decided that their customer service department was not going to help me.

I contacted their corporate office and told them of my problems. I was then given an "escalation" assistance. The next morning the local office manager contacted me and stated the most knowledgeable cablecard technician was on his way. After some more trial and error he was able to get a women named Margaret on the line to assist with the data entry and billing end of the system. Within minutes an image popped up and ALL of the correct channels were working.

On a side note..... This technician was the first one (out of 5-6) that gave the headend the Host ID and Data information. All the other techs just provided a serial number from the back of the CC. Also, the CSR would NOT verify any numbers for me other than the serial number, then they would say they "sent a hit to the card" and "have a good day". They would never listen to what I had to say about the Host ID and Data information.....

So, I understand your frustration. Bottom line, contact the CORPORATE office..... That should get you going