PDA

View Full Version : Only HALF of the Best Buys are getting the S3

Bierboy
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Was told by the TiVo sales floor manager this afternoon that only half of the Best Buys in the nation are getting the S3. I asked her how they were chosen, and she said "luck of the draw" (she thought).

Dssturbo1
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
your best buy has a tivo floor sales manager? no wonder the S3 cost $800

sure bb has it's reason. maybe lack of intial release inventory or other factors.

maybe only half of them have a Tivo Floor Sales Manager :)

Dan203
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Both of my local stores claim to have them in stock. I'm debating over whether I should go by and pick one up there or wait for them to pop up on Amazon.com so I can use the gift certificates I got for my birthday.

Dan

skweaz
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Both of my local stores claim to have them in stock.

My local stores also show stock, but I stopped by this morning and no luck. When I preordered it on Monday, they said it would be available for pickup on Sept. 16th

Bierboy
09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
You guys both seem to be in larger population areas, so maybe that's why. I know our Davenport store showed stock avail by Sept. 17. But the Moline store (only about 10 miles way), which doesn't do near the business the Davenport store does, showed no avails.

TiVoToo
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
BB web site shows all local stores in my area with stock, but can't order for pickup. Change option to shipping instead and it shows no stores with stock. I'm really curious whether anyone will actually be able to purchase a S3 at a BB anywhere today. If anyone does, then I'm sure you'll let us know! ;)

doppler1
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I too dutifully stopped into the West Madison Best Buy this morning at 10:00 (which was showing S3 in stock online), only to have them check the store stock any all stores in the surrounding area and report back that none of them have any. I asked to special order and got some mumbling about inventory and they are unable to special order...blah! Just headed over to the Circuit City website and paid the extra $23 to have it overnighted. So much easier than waiting for a special order.

Dan203
09-12-2006, 07:48 PM
You guys both seem to be in larger population areas, so maybe that's why. I know our Davenport store showed stock avail by Sept. 17. But the Moline store (only about 10 miles way), which doesn't do near the business the Davenport store does, showed no avails.

I live in a fairly small town with a population of about 70,000 and our local Best Buy is a small one compared to the one in Reno, but it still shows it as being in stock.

Personally I think I've decided to hold out until Moday that way I can see what's up with the new rebate (if there even is one) and hopefully order one from Amazon.com so I can use my birthday gift certificates.

Dan

Dssturbo1
09-12-2006, 08:43 PM
I too dutifully stopped into the West Madison Best Buy this morning at 10:00 (which was showing S3 in stock online), only to have them check the store stock any all stores in the surrounding area and report back that none of them have any. I asked to special order and got some mumbling about inventory and they are unable to special order...blah! Just headed over to the Circuit City website and paid the extra $23 to have it overnighted. So much easier than waiting for a special order.
did you use the 10% off coupon at CC online?

what is the BB SKU#?

doppler1
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
did you use the 10% off coupon at CC online?

what is the BB SKU#?
Nope - I didn't look for a coupon code...

Best Buy SKU=7974418

Bierboy
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I live in a fairly small town with a population of about 70,000 and our local Best Buy is a small one compared to the one in Reno, but it still shows it as being in stock.

Personally I think I've decided to hold out until Moday that way I can see what's up with the new rebate (if there even is one) and hopefully order one from Amazon.com so I can use my birthday gift certificates.

DanI guess I thought Carson City was bigger. We're in a metro area of about 250,000, but it's made up of a lot a medium-sized cities -- Davenport is about 100,000, then a couple of cities around 40T, etc.

What I'm seeing in this thread is typical of BB, though. No one at BB seems to have a clue.

cotton168
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I actually called the BB in Pasadena and the lady told me that they would not have the S3 until Spring of 2007. I had no comment after that! LOL

HDTiVo
09-13-2006, 04:10 AM
I actually called the BB in Pasadena and the lady told me that they would not have the S3 until Spring of 2007. I had no comment after that! LOL
Was that the little old lady from Pasadena?

tunnelengineer
09-13-2006, 06:55 AM
wow, I don't think I would believe that only half of them will be carrying the S3. That doesn't sound right.

TiVoToo
09-13-2006, 07:17 AM
wow, I don't think I would believe that only half of them will be carrying the S3. That doesn't sound right.

Could be if the S3 is on allocation. BB may not have been allocated enough to stock every store.

tunnelengineer
09-13-2006, 07:30 AM
This may be right for short term, but not in the long run right?

TiVoToo
09-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This may be right for short term, but not in the long run right?

Agree. If some local BB not getting S3 until Spring 2007 due to allocation, there's a problem in the production pipeline. I wouldn't expect any allocation after Christmas. Of course, I thought that about the Xbox360 last year.

Bierboy
09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
wow, I don't think I would believe that only half of them will be carrying the S3. That doesn't sound right. The person I talked to at TiVo sales identified herself as the sales floor manager (overseeing the phone sales folks), and that's exactly what she said. I'm just repeating exactly what I was told during a phone conversation. But, as has been pointed out, I think it's likely more will trickle into the BB pipeline over time.

BTW, I ordered one from Circuit City, and FedEx says it's on the truck for delivery today.

cotton168
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Was that the little old lady from Pasadena?

LOL I wished she was old so that at least that could have been her excuse for telling me such a ridiculous answer! LOL