PDA

View Full Version : Why should I dump the HR10-250 for the S3

Sirshagg
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the same boat as me. I currently have an HR10-250 (and get HD Locals both over the SAT and OTA). What reason(s) are there to dump this unit in favor of the Series3?

Lets please not get bogged down in rant on D* vs cable. I'd like to know what advantages the box actually has.

Thank You

MichaelK
09-12-2006, 01:58 PM
D* vs cable is the answer for me.

Cable for ME has a better HD offering then Directv plain and simple.

Toss in their bundle price and it's cheaper then my current Directv + DSL+ Phone bill- EVEN INCLUDING PAYING FOR 2 monthly tivo service fees. (not including the $50 off first year savings that I'll use towards a Series 3 and a Series 2 DT.)

So for me it's a no brainer.

Content is king.

Price is queen

A working quality DVR while a necessity is secondary(or would it be tertiery) to those things for me.

I'll move to cable for a year and see who has better HD content/price in a year.

If Directv has tons better HD than your local cable shlubs then by all means I'd stick with Directv.

Anything TiVo can come up with in the meantime is a bonus (if MRV or downloadable movies ever show up as examples...)

shaown
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Well for me, I'm in a 2 month window. Wait to see if Series 3 prices come down at all (i.e. coupons at BB, etc), but buy one before 12/31/06 since I want to transfer my lifetime from my Series 1. However, Since my HR10-250 (NY market) + 3 DT DirectTivos are working well, I'm not looking forward to the switch to cable. I was planning to wait till they moved NY local to MPEG4 to Leave D*, but with them on Mpeg2 for the near future and 6.3 coming to the HR10, I just feel no pressure right now.
-Shaown

D* vs cable is the answer for me.

Cable for ME has a better HD offering then Directv plain and simple.

Toss in their bundle price and it's cheaper then my current Directv + DSL+ Phone bill- EVEN INCLUDING PAYING FOR 2 monthly tivo service fees. (not including the $50 off first year savings that I'll use towards a Series 3 and a Series 2 DT.)

So for me it's a no brainer.

Content is king.

Price is queen

A working quality DVR while a necessity is secondary(or would it be tertiery) to those things for me.

I'll move to cable for a year and see who has better HD content/price in a year.

If Directv has tons better HD than your local cable shlubs then by all means I'd stick with Directv.

Anything TiVo can come up with in the meantime is a bonus (if MRV or downloadable movies ever show up as examples...)

MichaelK
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Actually I'm in NY DMA- so I know your situation well. Something Major to me are the RSN's - you cant get them full time from Directv unless you go MPEG4. With my dink local cable I can get them 100% of the time. Throw in a couple PBS channels that directv doesn't even bother in MPEG4 plus a handfull of channels in the HD tier that directv doesn't have either and it's a no brainer.

Plus like I said the fact that it's close to break even for me for the first year even incluidng buying a S3 and an S2DT to replace my HR10-250 and HDVR2 and it's a no brainer. Of and my broadband will be 10 times faster then the pathetic DSL I get now (but that's not Directv;s fault)

MichaelK
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
keep in mind just about all the cable companies seem to give $50/month off the first year for their bundle- that's $600 right there towards the S3. Now sell off your directv boxes on ebay and you can break even or maybe even make money to move to Tivo brand boxes...

generalpatton71
09-12-2006, 02:25 PM
If it turns out 6.3 on the HR10-250 can be hacked to do MRV I'll be happy to wait a long time for the S3. I haven't been to pleased with the D* HD offerings but every sunday I get a little happier. There is no doubt I "want" a S3 but don't need one. If the price was 500$ and there was MRV I might "need" one. Does anybody know a nicotine patch but for tivo addiction???LOL

MichaelK
09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
if your into it- there's no beating sunday ticket with cable...

khill821
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
HD Content + TiVo.

Where I am, I can only receive 2 of the 4 networks OTA. Gettting them from the satellite means dropping Tivo. So by switching to the S3 and Cox I get all my local channels in HD and, as an added bonus, save about $15 per month over D*. Chargers are blacked out even on Sunday Ticket so it does nothing for me.

wmcbrine
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Check the photos and FAQ threads for the actual differences between the two boxes. It looks like a big upgrade to me... many of my wishlist items have been addressed. The first thing that struck me was the native one-button zoom; that's a big win. And all outputs are active at once. Lots more, but I can't remember them all right now...

Like others, I'll be waiting for a way around the CableLabs BS. And maybe a lower price point. But I want it, oh yes.

bidger
09-12-2006, 06:11 PM
if your into it- there's no beating sunday ticket with cable...
*Ding*

Couple that with the fact that my local Time-Warner, not a keyword you're looking for when considering a S3, doesn't have FOX or CBS in HD, I'm compelled to stay with D*.

I need to make my choice for S3 and using it for HD OTA, only 1 channel in my area, or as a buffer in case I ever do go back to cable. The other option is to sell and let someone whose in a better situation have the opportunity.