PDA

View Full Version : S3 Output - HDMI and Component simultaneously?

terramar
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Can the S3 output on the HDMI output and the component outputs simultaneously? Or is it just one or the other at any given time?

And are HD shows output on the composite output?

(I have a video distribution system, that distributes composite video to other TVs in my house - it would be nice to know if I can continue to use this, or if I have to update that to an HD system too).

Thanks-

Dan203
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes. All outputs are active at all times.

Dan

greenstork
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Can the S3 output on the HDMI output and the component outputs simultaneously? Or is it just one or the other at any given time?

And are HD shows output on the composite output?

(I have a video distribution system, that distributes composite video to other TVs in my house - it would be nice to know if I can continue to use this, or if I have to update that to an HD system too).

Thanks-

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but here goes:

1) Composite video is an analog technology. In other words, the digital to analog conversion has taken place inside the TiVo and the signal is pumped out to copper wires as an analog signal. The longer the composite video cables (and quality of cables for that matter), the more degredation of the signal. That said, I assume the unit can simultaneously output HDMI and Composite video, I've never heard of an electronic device turning off one video output when the other is in use.

2) HDMI is an uncompressed digital video.

So while you'll be able to use your current video distribution system, you certainly won't be getting all of the mileage out of your expensive HD flat screens. If you're only viewing on SD CRT televisions, then go for it, you're all set!

vstone
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I think the HR10-250 ( or some other D* HD box) allows only component or HDMI, not both. I think this was a copy protection issue.