PDA

View Full Version : Rocko's Modern Life

filburt1
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
For those unfamiliar with it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocko%27s_Modern_Life . Yes, it's on Nickelodeon, but with the innuendo throughout the entire show and almost every single episode, it's still hilarious and very much a cult favorite like the Wikipedia article says.

Nickelodeon, for some damnedable unknown and frustrating reason, hasn't released any DVD box sets for it. However, this site offers some: http://www.utnicktoon.com/index.php?osCsid=416444b3d07575f9333660d464245a36 . Presumably they're just TV captures, but if it's over digital TV or high-quality cable with little compression, it will look almost as good. Think it's a good idea to order the box?

Or, anybody have experience getting DVDs for shows that aren't actually available on DVD...excluding other means, of course?

It's no longer on extended cable, even. My highest-priority season pass is an autorecording wish list for it at Best quality, but of course it never matches anything.

minorthr
08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
I think you may need to check your wishlist setup because my wife and I were watching this show like last week. I even commented on how I used to love it when I was in High School. It was the episode where he gets sucked in the washer by the "trolls" who mess up your clothes.

here is a listing for an upcoming episode

Rocko's Modern Life
The High Five of Doom; Flyburgers 5:30 PM, 30 min
Thu 08/10/2006
NTOON 302
Other/Children
TVY, English
After discovering Filburt's diary, Rocko and Heffer are convinced he's an alien who wants to destroy earthlings with his "high five of doom"; and when a fly wins a lawsuit against Rocko, he's sentenced to spend 30 days as an insect.

filburt1
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Curses! Looks like digital cable given the high channel number. I only have analog.

minorthr
08-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Curses! Looks like digital cable given the high channel number. I only have analog.

Ah well that explains it. As far as buying those dvds its only $40. I wouldnt expect a lot going in since they are bootlegs but you never know.

dmdeane
08-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Ah yes....I remember watching this years ago; nice cartoon series, very humorous....I watched a few recently, I think they made some new episodes when I was not paying attention as I caught some post 2001-references.

It's a pretty good cartoon that adults can enjoy, although there are some "gross out" humor aimed more at the juvenile crowd. Otherwise the humor is aimed more at adults, just like all the good classic kids cartoons of yore.

That Don Guy
08-14-2006, 02:45 PM
I've been watching this show since it first appeared on Nickelodeon (somewhere around 1993). I'm pretty sure they show two episodes per weekday on Nicktoons (which is only on digital cable in most areas).

Note that there is one episode they do not air any more; "Jet Scream / Dirty Dog" (Rocko and Heffer have to fly to a comic book convention; Rocko tries to give Spunky a bath, which is also a "Bloaty & Squirmy" episode). My guess is, after 9/11, they pulled pretty much every episode that involves a plane crash or near plane crash (an episode of CatDog was pulled until late 2004 solely because there was a plane crash in the background of one scene). There was another story (Leap Frogs, where Mrs. Bighead tries to seduce Rocko) that had been pulled because Nickelodeon felt it too adult, but Nicktoons airs it.

From what I've heard, Rocko is on the "we're thinking about it" list at Paramount Home Video (which handles the Nickelodeon DVDs). I think it's a question of "will enough adults buy episodes a season at a time" (which is why, for example, SpongeBob and Invader Zim have season/complete DVD sets while The Fairly Oddparents and Danny Phantom, much more popular shows (albeit watched almost entirely by kids), do not).

-- Don

filburt1
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
From what I've heard, Rocko is on the "we're thinking about it" list at Paramount Home Video (which handles the Nickelodeon DVDs). I think it's a question of "will enough adults buy episodes a season at a time" (which is why, for example, SpongeBob and Invader Zim have season/complete DVD sets while The Fairly Oddparents and Danny Phantom, much more popular shows (albeit watched almost entirely by kids), do not).

-- Don
That's great news; I'd start an online petition, but they're completely worthless to do. I'll just resort to crossed fingers. :)

rkester
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I used to love this show as well. Havent watched it in ages. Maybe i need to see if its on DTV and setup some SP action, woot.

Yea, its on 302 Nick Toons every day in the afternoon. I am so on it!

tivooop
08-14-2006, 06:23 PM
I saw an episode within the last week or so and I do not have digital cable. It was probably one of the generic cartoons that Nick runs on weekend afternoons. I don't think the guide showed it as "Rocko's Modern Life."

FWIW, it was the ep where Rocko and Hef went to a baseball game.

filburt1
08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Did you happen to record it on your TiVo and still have it in your recording history to see what time it was on?

tivooop
08-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Sorry, no.

I'll try to keep an eye out, and post if I see anything.

That Don Guy
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
I saw an episode within the last week or so and I do not have digital cable. It was probably one of the generic cartoons that Nick runs on weekend afternoons. I don't think the guide showed it as "Rocko's Modern Life."

FWIW, it was the ep where Rocko and Hef went to a baseball game.
Are you sure it was within the last week? Somebody at Toonzone says it aired July 30 in Nickelodeon's "Nick Rewind" block (an hour-long block on Sunday afternoons where they air their older shows). Since it was based on voting at nick.com at the time, it would show up as "Nicktoons TV" in listings.

-- Don