PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter Not Detected

jrblaze
08-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I have been running my Tivo for over a year with a Linksys WRT54G Router and a D-Link Wireless B Adapter (Model No. DWL-122) without any issues.

I wanted to upgrade to a faster wireless G adapter so I just purchased a new Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter (Model No. AG0100). I disconnected my D-Link and connected my new Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter and didn't receive a message stating that if found a new network adapter. On the main 'Phone & Network' screen under 'Network Connection Details' is says 'No Connection'.

I tried selecting 'Use Network Instead' then 'Yes, I have all of the above' then 'OK, I've plugged in a Network Adapter' and then I get a screen stating 'Ethernet Not Found The Tivo DVR has not detected an Ethernet link.

I tried restarting the tivo from the menu option with no luck.

I have tried unplugging the tivo and plugging it back in with the Adapter Plugged in and no success.

I have also tried restarting/unplugging the tivo with no adapter unplugged and then plugged it in afterward and still no success.

I am currently running Tivo Software Version 7.3.1-oth-01-2-540

I even swapped out my first Tivo Wireless Adapter and got a whole new Tivo Wireless Adapter (usb wire and all) and still have the same problem. I can't figure out why a Tivo Wireless Adapter made by Tivo for Tivo doesn't just work without any issues?

Does anyone think it is because of the Software Version 7.3.1-oth-01-2-540 that I am running or maybe because the Tivo still some how is getting the D-Link Adapter confused with the Tivo Adapter and doesn't want to install or recognize the Tivo Adapter??

PLEASE HELP!!!! :-)

As a last resort I did a full Reset and Clear of my Tivo to start from Scratch.

Oh yeah, I tried 2nd USB Port as well.

Any suggestions!!!!!

TomJHansen
08-05-2006, 11:18 AM
You might have tried this already, but did you reset your router? I had the same problem with one of my Tivos using an older Linksys B wireless router (an adapter that has worked for over two years) and I was getting the same screen about ethernet not being connected. After I tried rebooting the Tivo, unplugging and replugging the adapter, new cord, new adapter (from another Tivo) - I finally tried rebooting the router. I think (in addition to other things) that clearing the DHCP cache (by rebooting the router) fixed the problem. So maybe your Tivo isn't getting a new IP address (because the router thinks it has one).

Anyway a hard boot of the wireless router fixed the problem for me. You might want to try that.

jrblaze
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
You might have tried this already, but did you reset your router? I had the same problem with one of my Tivos using an older Linksys B wireless router (an adapter that has worked for over two years) and I was getting the same screen about ethernet not being connected. After I tried rebooting the Tivo, unplugging and replugging the adapter, new cord, new adapter (from another Tivo) - I finally tried rebooting the router. I think (in addition to other things) that clearing the DHCP cache (by rebooting the router) fixed the problem. So maybe your Tivo isn't getting a new IP address (because the router thinks it has one).

Anyway a hard boot of the wireless router fixed the problem for me. You might want to try that.

I'll give it a try and post what happens.

jrblaze
08-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Well I did a full reset of my router and still no luck but I am going to try a couple more things now that the router has been reset.

It seems like the Tivo doesn't even think the adapter is connected because I am not getting any message stating that the a New Wireless Adapter has been found.

jrblaze
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
want to post a url for help but need 5 posts.

so post

jrblaze
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I posted all the steps that I have gone through with pictures at my web page.

You can find it here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze81183/Tivo/tivo.htm

If you need additional information just ask I want to get this working!!!!

maki
08-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Do the lights on the adapter come on? How do they act?

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Do the lights on the adapter come on? How do they act?

Green Power Light Comes on but link light doesn't do anything.

windracer
08-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Do you still have your old D-Link adapter? If you re-connect it, does it work?

Are you using the USB cable that came with the TiVo adapter? Is it securely plugged into the adapter?

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Do you still have your old D-Link adapter? If you re-connect it, does it work?

Are you using the USB cable that came with the TiVo adapter? Is it securely plugged into the adapter?

Yes I still have the "old D-Link adapter".

Yes, the D-Link adapter does work when I reconnect it.

Yes, I am using the USB Cable that came with the Tivo adapter.

Yes, the USB Cable is securely plugged into the adapter as well as the back of the tivo box.

windracer
08-06-2006, 12:35 AM
That's pretty strange ... the power LED comes on, so obviously the USB cable and connection are good, but the TiVo isn't detecting the adapter (hence no MAK address listed on the Network Information screen). Seems dubious you could have gotten two bad adapters in a row ... :confused:

TomJHansen
08-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Go into your router and look at the DHCP Clients table - is the Tivo listed? If so, can you delete it? Then try to connect again? The MAK should be made up of the adapter and the device - so maybe the router thinks it has already assigned the IP address. I thought if you reset the router, it reset that, but maybe not.

Anyway, I bet that's your problem. Or a bad batch of Tivo adapters - but that's probably unlikely.

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Go into your router and look at the DHCP Clients table - is the Tivo listed? If so, can you delete it? Then try to connect again? The MAK should be made up of the adapter and the device - so maybe the router thinks it has already assigned the IP address. I thought if you reset the router, it reset that, but maybe not.

Anyway, I bet that's your problem. Or a bad batch of Tivo adapters - but that's probably unlikely.

I'll give it a try.

Prowest
08-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I just had a similar problem when I move my S2 single tuner TiVo to another room. It did not recognize the wireless connection. The problem was that the USB port did not completely connect with the plug that went to the wireless adapter. You may want to stay on the Network Connection screen and play with the plug going into the TiVo to see if it will connect if you jiggle it around. Once I got the connection, I was able to leave it alone and it remained.

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 07:02 PM

Okay did what you said and erased all the DHCP Client Table information and plugged in the Tivo adapter with no success so I restarted the tivo and still no luck. Then I plugged it into the other usb port and still nothing so I try restarting the tivo again and still nothing.

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I just had a similar problem when I move my S2 single tuner TiVo to another room. It did not recognize the wireless connection. The problem was that the USB port did not completely connect with the plug that went to the wireless adapter. You may want to stay on the Network Connection screen and play with the plug going into the TiVo to see if it will connect if you jiggle it around. Once I got the connection, I was able to leave it alone and it remained.

Okay I jiggled the connection moved it all over the place and even unplugged it multiple times from the back of the tivo and the back of the adapter and:

IT IS STILL NOT BEING SEEN BY THE TIVO!!!! :mad:

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Is there any way to go back a Software Version to see it that solves my problem????

maki
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I hate to say it but maybe you should try exchanging the adapter again. Or maybe returning it and buying one somewhere else. ;)

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I hate to say it but maybe you should try exchanging the adapter again. Or maybe returning it and buying one somewhere else. ;)

I will probably exchange this one for a new one again and see if that solves the problem but I still want any suggestions that anyone can think of in the mean time because I have to wait for the store to get a new shipment of the Adapters.

I will be really surprised if I find out that 2-adapter were defective....

windracer
08-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Is there any way to go back a Software Version to see it that solves my problem????
Unfortunately, no.

jrblaze
08-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately, no.

Didn't think so.

jrblaze
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM

I exchanged my Tivo Adapter for a 3rd one and still no luck.

I tried doing a tivo Kickstart 56 with a message stating:

'Connecting to the server..

Error: Bad Connection'

Multiple times.

I might try a Kickstart 52 but I don't know yet....

Here is a link to the support I have been getting at Tivo's help Forums just so you can read what I have done up to this point.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10258941

I am hoping I don't have to call tech support to get this working.

MegsMommy
08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I had the same issue, I read another thread and went back into the settings. First I started from scratch and picked my way around until I forced it to detect my network adapter. Then I specified an IP address in my range. That did the trick, it connected and is now loading all the info since last Thursday.

The odd thing was, it saw my network even when it wouldn't connect. It saw the network for me to pick. It got all the way to the end before I got the n24 message that it did not detect the network adapter. The last time I sucessfully connected was when it got the last update so it must be a glitch in the update.

windracer
08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Looks like the All-Stars over there are just as stumped as we are ... :confused:

I re-read your web site with the screenshots. I didn't notice this before, but I don't think I've ever seen that "Ethernet not found" screen before. You obviously have version 7.3 of the software since KidZone is present, but what model TiVo do you have?

Calling customer support might be your only option at this point. Or maybe try PMing TiVoJerry here on the forum, maybe he can help you out.

veekay
04-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Hate to revive such an old topic, but I'm having the exact same problem with a Series 2 DT model. Already on the second adapter and it still won't detect it. I plugged in another usb wireless adapter and at least the tivo detects that and tells me it isn't compatible. The unit is only a week old and a refurb, so I'm guessing a new unit will have to be sent. Hate having to redo all the season passes though.. Did anyone ever figure this problem out?

timckelley
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Sorry for the 4.5 year long bump, but amazingly, this old thread is what popped up when I did a search of my problem.

I'm having this same problem with my TiVo HD. I moved to a new house, set up everything and this is happening. It worked fine at my old house. I see several suggestions in this thread I have not yet tried, so this evening I'll be trying them in hopes something gets my TiVo branded wireless adapter to be seen by my TiVo.

jrblaze
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I never had any luck getting my adapter to work. I think I narrowed it down to the Tivo being a refurbished model and that it possible has some odd hardware issue. I ended up using the old adapter and gave up. Sorry I know that isn't the news you probably wanted to hear.

timckelley
09-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh well in my case, the adapter that's not working used to work.

telcoman
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the 4.5 year long bump, but amazingly, this old thread is what popped up when I did a search of my problem.

I'm having this same problem with my TiVo HD. I moved to a new house, set up everything and this is happening. It worked fine at my old house. I see several suggestions in this thread I have not yet tried, so this evening I'll be trying them in hopes something gets my TiVo branded wireless adapter to be seen by my TiVo.

I use a wireless Tivo adapter in a vacation condo.
In order to use it it must be placed very precise to get a good signal. Move it slightly while watching the signal strength level on the Tivo makes a big difference. I would try it first very close to the wireless router to see it the Tivo recognizes the wireless adapter

timckelley
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I use a wireless Tivo adapter in a vacation condo.
In order to use it it must be placed very precise to get a good signal. Move it slightly while watching the signal strength level on the Tivo makes a big difference. I would try it first very close to the wireless router to see it the Tivo recognizes the wireless adapter

Well in my case, it's not a matter of it not seeing my wireless network. I'm getting the message that it's not detecting the adapter, like it's not even plugged in. Even if no wireless network exists, and I had no router, shouldn't it at least detect the adapter? The message I should be getting is that no wireless networks are detected, not that the adapter itself isn't detected.

timckelley
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I suppose, theoretically, if nothing else works I could use the ethernet port to plug into a wired network. The problem is: this house has no wired network.

I have an ethernet switch, so if wires were run through it, I could set up one, and it's a one story house, so it would be easier than trying to wire a two story house, but I suspect it could still cost a fair amount of money to wire the house.

I think I'll first try the tips in this thread. I have already tried restarting the TiVo and trying different USB ports. I haven't tried plugging the supposedly nonworking adapter into a different TiVo, which I can certainly try. Nor plugging in my other TiVO adapter into this one. I also don't think I've tried rebooting the router, though my internet is working fine, but I can try that too.

In fact, I haven't even yet plugged in my other TiVo at all, to see how that's going, so it will be interesting to see if this is a pattern with both TiVos or just one.

timckelley
09-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh, sorry, the error message is not quite what I said. It does recognize I have an adapter... but it says this:

"Sorry, the network adapter (or other device) you plugged in is not supported for use for this TiVo HD DVR"

Yet this is a TiVo branded adapter that I've for years successfully. It only stopped working when I moved to this new house. That error message sounds off base to me. :(

timckelley
09-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Well, I tried plugging in my other adapter, and that one is recognized as the correct adapter. My guide data is downloading as I speak. This is funny, because both my adapters are TiVo branded and look the same. Admittedly, one may be a couple or few years older than the other. But both adapters have been working fine until the move. It's possible I might have gotten them switched, but I didn't think I did.

I'm going to see if the adapter that wasn't working will work on the other TiVo. If it doesn't, that leaves me with two TiVos, but only one working adapter. I wonder if adapters just stop working after awhile, causing us to have to buy new ones.

Editted to add: I may not be able to test the other TV today, because I can't find the HDMI cable, HDFury chip, and VGA cable I need to hook my HD PC monitor to my other TiVo. It's packed away in a box, and my new house is filled with a mountain of boxes, so it's going to take time to find out where this is.

timckelley
09-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Btw, I did test and verify the message I was getting was identical to the message I get when there's no adapter at all plugged into the TiVo.

timckelley
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh here's an interesting update. I tried plugging in the original bad adapter, but used the cord from the good adapter. It worked! That tells me that both adapters are good, but that one of the cords is bad. I want my other TiVo to have an adapter too, so it sounds like I should go buy a new cord.

Does anybody know what these cords are called so that I can figure out where to buy one?

Chris Gerhard
09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh here's an interesting update. I tried plugging in the original bad adapter, but used the cord from the good adapter. It worked! That tells me that both adapters are good, but that one of the cords is bad. I want my other TiVo to have an adapter too, so it sounds like I should go buy a new cord.

Does anybody know what these cords are called so that I can figure out where to buy one?

I must have a dozen or more of these cables around the house, very common. My Harmony remotes, PS3 controller, Sony HD camcorder, TiVo USB adapters and so on all use the cable. It is a USB cable - USB - Male connector on one end and mini-USB - Male on the other end. Purchasing one online is easy enough. I think the larger connector is also called USB Type A and mini USB connector is called USB Type B.

timckelley
09-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Here's an annoying thing that just happened. It turns out I found another cord in my house that has USB on one end, and the other end was that mini-USB thing... it fits perfectly in my TiVo adapter. So I tried replacing my bad cord with it, and it still doesn't work! But it works when I put the good cord on.

What are the chances that 2 out of my 3 cords are bad? Are all these cords really the same and compatible? All I need is USB on one end and min-USB on the other?

At this point, I guess I need to go out and buy another cord, but I worry that if two cords are bad, what's to say a new cord I buy won't also be bad? Is it some special cord I need to look for that specifically plugs into TiVo adapters? Or is it really generic?

Chris Gerhard
09-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Here's an annoying thing that just happened. It turns out I found another cord in my house that has USB on one end, and the other end was that mini-USB thing... it fits perfectly in my TiVo adapter. So I tried replacing my bad cord with it, and it still doesn't work! But it works when I put the good cord on.

What are the chances that 2 out of my 3 cords are bad? Are all these cords really the same and compatible? All I need is USB on one end and min-USB on the other?

At this point, I guess I need to go out and buy another cord, but I worry that if two cords are bad, what's to say a new cord I buy won't also be bad? Is it some special cord I need to look for that specifically plugs into TiVo adapters? Or is it really generic?

I don't know if cables with the same connectors, but incompatiable, were made but it is surely possible. I can say I haven't ever seen that happen and I have a bunch of those cables.

daniel12345
01-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I am trying to set up my tivo in my new apartment, and it is stuck in guided setup. For a while I was having a problem connecting to the wireless network. Long story, but I restarted the tivo when I thought that problem was fixed by my internet provider. But now I can't even get back to the screen where I can choose a wireless network to connect to.

I have a wireless g network adapter, and the power light is on but the connection light, which was on before, is no longer on, and I get some error message about not being able to find my network adapter.

Sorry this isn't the most coherent message...5 hours on the phone with customer service will do that to me.

Thanks so much in advance for any help, I'd love to be able to watch some football this weekend.

Daniel

namzaps
10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I have a Series 2 that hiccups like this on occasion. It will "lose" the wireless adapter after months of it working fine, without me actually touching anything. The fix involves power cycling the tivo unit (sometime several times) with the adapter not plugged in, and plugging it in at the network settings screen. Eventually all lights come on, the link light will flicker blink, and we are back in business.

unitron
10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I have a Series 2 that hiccups like this on occasion. It will "lose" the wireless adapter after months of it working fine, without me actually touching anything. The fix involves power cycling the tivo unit (sometime several times) with the adapter not plugged in, and plugging it in at the network settings screen. Eventually all lights come on, the link light will flicker blink, and we are back in business.

Give everything on your home network that does not travel a fixed IP address.

I start my computers at 192.168.1.100 and go up and my TiVos at 192.168.1.200 and go up.

I set the router's DHCP pool of potential addresses it can hand out from 192.168.1.254 and go down as many numbers as necessary to cover whatever might need a dynamically assigned address.

This is with a router whose own IP address is set to 192.168.1.1

If your router has a different IP address of its own, the last number should still be .1, so to make my example work, just worry about the numbers after the last "dot".

If the router and the TiVo do not have to negotiate over what the TiVo's IP address is going to be, that's one thing fewer to possibly go wrong.