PDA

View Full Version : More Service Options

ReverendKev
07-29-2006, 01:36 PM
I was wondering, why are there only two packages? You can only have basic, which is little more than a digitial VCR, or the Plus which has more features than I could possibly want.

I do not need remote schedualing, or the ability to view photos or music on my television. I most certainly do not need Kidzone, which was apparently developed with the Parents Television Council - a group that would feel quite at home at a book burning.

All I would like is to have the Season Pass, the Wish List, and the Organized folders. I'm sure I am not the only one who would like to see more options for service.

supasta
07-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I am the same way with my cell phone. I don't need a camera, calender, music, videos, downloads, etc, etc, etc. But, I still have to pay for what is included in the packages that are offered.

On the other hand, talking TiVo - For $12.95/$6.95MSD what is offered if GREAT! Put into perspective what that would cost from other providers, and the price is excellent. Although you do not use it, paying for it is not the greatest, but it keeps things simple - which is TiVo's whole point to start with. I think that too many options just start to confuse people.

I have not even touched the Photos option, nor any of the other Yahoo! options, but they are there if I decide to. I like that. I use the heck out of remote scheduling, so I really like that. I figure, that at the price you pay and what you get for what you do use, it is more than reasonable.

megazone
08-09-2006, 08:50 PM
TiVo wouldn't save much by not offering you the additional features - in fact, it might cost them more to offer more options due to the overhead of managing that. TiVo Basic is not available from TiVo at all, it is only offered to partners who wish to offer a DVR without the full service mandatory - so far just Pioneer and Toshiba. You may as well consider TiVo a 'one size fits all' offering. They keep adding features to the service to make it appeal to as many people as possible, and to keep their lead on the competition.

KidZone was not developed with PTC, they're just one of the providers of recommendations. You can use KidZone without using anything from PTC. Either using one of the other lists from other providers, or making your own list from scratch.