PDA

View Full Version : Humax DRT 800 DVD Burner

Eggroll
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm new to this and I recently bought a used Humax DRT 800. The DVD burner worked for a while but now will not burn, just keeps reporting an error. But it won't tell me what type of error.

Are the burners sold separately? I had the box opened once but did not notice what brand of burner it was. Iím assuming the Tivo OS is plug and play? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

rkester
04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
This unit has issues occassionally. Have you tried rebooting/unplugging then restarting it? I had this problem a bunch and a reset fixed it usually.

HIHZia
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Try the reboot first. Humax also has a pretty good exchange policy, but I'm betting a reboot will clear it.

rkester
04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Also, you will find that certain brands of media are much more friendly with the 800 than others. I use Memorex and CompUSA brand media often and always get great results.

Let us know if the reboot fixes the problem.

TydalForce
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
It's got a Pioneer DVR-108JA drive in there; as far as I can tell this is a custom firmware for the TiVo. I have yet to yoink the DVR-108 from my PowerMac and try it in the TiVo to see what happens. The general consensus is that a retail drive will not work.

Definitely watch your media. I tend to stick to Verbatim or TDK brands as my favourites. DVD-R tends to work better than DVD+R. Maybe pop out to the computer store and buy a single blank Verbatim DVD-R and try it out.

After you restart it, of course.

Oh, if you were inside the unit before maybe you accidentally knocked one of the cables loose. Pop it open again and disconnect / reconnect the 2 cables running to the DVD-R drive (from both ends, in the case of the IDE ribbon cable)

Eggroll
04-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the help.

I've rebooted a number of times. The first few times this happend to me the reboot took care of it. The last time I got the error I rebooted a number of times and it did not fix the problem. It's like it just finally decided to roll over and die. I have not tried the unplugging the whole unit trick but I will give that a try next.

Thanks again...

TydalForce
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
You might want to see my new thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=296218

I successfully took a Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-RW drive that I bought at a computer store and plunked it into my DRT 800 and it worked quite happily. This leads me to believe that we should be able to use other drives in there as well

petew
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Also try using a DVD cleaner, and note that only DVR-R and DVD-RW media is supported by the software even though the drive itself supports DVD+RW