PDA

View Full Version : Possible to stream .tivo files over a network?

sptnut
04-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I have a pretty high power desktop computer that I keep my .tivo files on that I want to watch later. I also have an older laptop, however the laptop does not have a dvd player. I would like to be able to stream ( I have the 2 computers networked, its just a matter of going on to the desktops hard drive) the shows i have on my desktop and watch then on my laptop.......is this possibe? Everytime I try this, I get a message saying incorrect access key.

bluetex
04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a pretty high power desktop computer that I keep my .tivo files on that I want to watch later. I also have an older laptop, however the laptop does not have a dvd player. I would like to be able to stream ( I have the 2 computers networked, its just a matter of going on to the desktops hard drive) the shows i have on my desktop and watch then on my laptop.......is this possibe? Everytime I try this, I get a message saying incorrect access key.

Check out this app. It will allow you to watch any .tivo file you have on your PC

ORB is a way to get access to your .tivo files on your PC from any computer anywhere. You'll be able to stream your shows over the internet or to another computer on the network.

EDIT:: this link is actually all you need

Tivoanywhere.com (http://www.orb.com/dvreverywhere/)

EDIT:: There are a few things you'll have to do to configure it. First and most importantly is to add the .tivo file extension to the orb configuration.

You'll login to orb, go to setup, Video, Set file extensions >> then add .tivo
You'll go to setup, Video, Set media folder >> point to your Tivo download directory

Then click HOME... go to the video tab, and things should start showing up.

The addon for TivoAnywhere is only needed if you want to initiate a download of a show from the Tivo to your desktop from anywhere. I think that feature is kewl.

Jeff

edits.. for more info

sptnut
04-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Check out this app. It will allow you to watch any .tivo file you have on your PC from ANYWHERE! No really!

Get Orb here (http://www.orb.com)

then visit here and get tivoanywhere

This allows you to start downloads from Tivo To PC from anywhere (http://mywebpage.netscape.com/tivoanywhere/)

Well i tried this and it doesnt work. I downloaded orb and got no where with it....it doesnt make any sense to me. Then I tried to get the add-on you suggested, it has been removed. So now i'm back where I started.

Any other suggestions?

greg_burns
04-08-2006, 02:46 PM
You don't need a DVD player on your laptop, but your do need a MPEG-2 codec installed in order to play .tivo files.

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard

If you copy a .tivo file to your laptop will it play? Do you have TivoDesktop installed on the latop with the proper MAK entered?

sptnut
04-08-2006, 05:57 PM
You don't need a DVD player on your laptop, but your do need a MPEG-2 codec installed in order to play .tivo files.

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard

If you copy a .tivo file to your laptop will it play? Do you have TivoDesktop installed on the latop with the proper MAK entered?

I cannot copy the file to the laptop because it does not have a big enough hard drive. I doesnt say anything about unable to play file, the message i always get is wrong media access key.

greg_burns
04-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I cannot copy the file to the laptop because it does not have a big enough hard drive. I doesnt say anything about unable to play file, the message i always get is wrong media access key.

I assume you inputted the correct media access key (MAK) into TivoDesktop on the laptop, no? Sometimes codec problems can cause that error to appear, IIRC.

You don't have enough disk space to copy a single .tivo file over? :eek: I would definately find a small .tivo file to test with. (Record 10 seconds of something on your Tivo if you have to). Just need to test that the laptop is capable of playing .tivo files.

I can play video files across my wired network just by sharing a folder on my harddrive. Is that an option for you? Not sure wireless will support that though.

sptnut
04-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I can play video files across my wired network just by sharing a folder on my harddrive. Is that an option for you? Not sure wireless will support that though.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do....but a wired connection isnt an option on the laptop.

greg_burns
04-08-2006, 07:47 PM
And you do have TivoDesktop installed on your laptop?

And you do have the MAK entered correctly? (I am sure you do, I still think it is a codec problem. It always is. :rolleyes: ) If you are cutting and pasting your MAK from the website. Paste it into notepad first, so you can see it is correct. Normally doing that picks up some hidden characters.

If you feel adventurous... Download DirectShow Dump on your main PC. Free the .mpg file from a .tivo file. Now try playing that freed .mpg across the network on your laptop. That will elimante the MAK errors, most definately, becuase the TivoDesktop.dll won't be involved at all. Then you will be able to see if the laptop is even capable of playing MPEG-2 files.

Just some troubleshooting ideas.

sptnut
04-08-2006, 08:10 PM
And you do have TivoDesktop installed on your laptop?

And you do have the MAK entered correctly? (I am sure you do, I still think it is a codec problem. It always is. :rolleyes: ) If you are cutting and pasting your MAK from the website. Paste it into notepad first, so you can see it is correct. Normally doing that picks up some hidden characters.

If you feel adventurous... Download DirectShow Dump on your main PC. Free the .mpg file from a .tivo file. Now try playing that freed .mpg across the network on your laptop. That will elimante the MAK errors, most definately, becuase the TivoDesktop.dll won't be involved at all. Then you will be able to see if the laptop is even capable of playing MPEG-2 files.

Just some troubleshooting ideas.

Well I tried your suggestion. The clip acts like its gonna play then I get the "windows media player has encounted a problem and needs to close box" I am running WMP 9...would that make a difference?

greg_burns
04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Well I tried your suggestion. The clip acts like its gonna play then I get the "windows media player has encounted a problem and needs to close box" I am running WMP 9...would that make a difference?

What OS are you running? You cannot upgrade to WMP 10 if you are not running XP. Having said that, no I don't think it is WMP 9. I still think it is a codec issue.

Have your tried installing a different codec? Your choices will be limited if not running XP.

What codec are you using now? This MS utility may tell you that.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

If you want to skip the whole codec nightmare. Download Media Player Classic. (It uses its own internal codec)
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm

bluetex
04-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Well i tried this and it doesnt work. I downloaded orb and got no where with it....it doesnt make any sense to me. Then I tried to get the add-on you suggested, it has been removed. So now i'm back where I started.

Any other suggestions?

This absolutely works. PM me your questions and I'll help you resolve the issues.

Jeff

AV_Novice
04-09-2006, 10:25 PM
How old is the laptop? What is the CPU? Memory?