PDA

View Full Version : hooking up my series 2 to my pc?

jeff26xx00
03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
do i just need a usb cable? or do i need to download stuff. how exactly does all this work? is there a tutorial page?

btl-a4
03-25-2006, 06:24 PM
You need to have the tivo and the pc both on the same home network. Then you need to download the desktop software from tivo.com and install it. fire up the desktop software on your PC and your series 2 should show up. then you can transfer shows to your pc. If you install the Tivo server portion of the software you can also play your mp3's and view your photos that reside on your PC via the TiVo.

jeff26xx00
03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
same network? the tivo is hooked up through the phone line, and my internet connection for my computer is hooked up through cable...is that the same network? how do i check to see if it on the same network?

btl-a4
03-25-2006, 06:41 PM
The first thing you need to do is get a compatible usb ethernet or wireless ethernet adapter for your TiVo. They have a list of them on the tivo website. Then you need to connect it to the router or hub that your PC is connected to. Do you have a router or are you going straight through your cable modem?

JimSpence
03-25-2006, 06:48 PM
You really should visit the Home Media Features forum for how all this stuff works.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=35

jeff26xx00
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
i do have a router, but thats for another computer in my hosue... i can simply use the cable modem directly.....

*can i just use the usb from my tivo to my pc?

btl-a4
03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
*can i just use the usb from my tivo to my pc?

Not that I know of. I'm pretty sure you need to network your TiVo with the PC via ethernet or wireless ethernet.