PDA

View Full Version : How2 switch from WAP to WEP security

jim redfield
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm a TIVO newbie with a healthy WAP-secured wireless network for my family's computers. Bought the TIVO wireless adapter and only found out when it arrived that it only works with the less secure WEP security protocol. I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed from here.

I'll, sigh, change everything else to WEP if I have to, but I don't know how complex that process is (a referral to a how2 would be nice...) but I'd rather find a TIVO workaround to keep WAP security. Or maybe I can use WEP for TIVO and WAP everywhere else and thereby WHIP everything into shape somehow? - Jim

filburt1
03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I assume you mean WPA instead of WAP? TiVos currently don't support WPA at all. The alternatives are to add an access point to your network that uses WEP, convert your entire network to WEP, or use a wired adapter instead, the last providing the most security.

I run WPA2 on my home network, but I use a wired adapter that connects to a switch, then a hub, and then the router. Long story.

crowfan
03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
There is a workaround so that you can use WPA on the TiVo, so to speak, but it can be a little pricey, depending on whether or not you can find some deals. Let me see if I can dig it up...

[EDIT: Here it is (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2764372&&#post2764372). This will allow you to use WPA, I think.]

TydalForce
03-23-2006, 02:50 PM
it basically comes down to 3 options:

- Switch to WEP encryption. If you do this, each computer connecting wirelessly will have to change its connection settings, and you'll have to input your WEP code. You'll only have to do this once
- Get a wireless bridge. Its basically a box with an antenna on one end and an Ethernet cable on the other. These bridges usually support WPA. You'll need a supported USB-Ethernet adapter for your TiVo. This is the most expensive option, because you need to buy two gizmos (unless you have one)
- Go wired. You'll also need a USB-Ethernet adapter for this trick, and then just run an ethernet cable to your router. This may not work if the router's in a different room (but maybe you can move the router)

crowfan's link above is similar to the bridge option above. A lot of wireless routers support WDS (Wireless Distribution System) where you can link 2 or more of them together to do range-expanding tricks. You can then use the router's ethernet ports too. The downside here is that, as far as I know, this trick doesn't work cross-brand (you may need to get 2 routers from the same manufacturer)

Of note, I had a WDS setup at home with 2 SMC routers. It worked well, but if one of them had to be restarted (the power plug kept falling out of the wall on one of them) then I had to restart BOTH of them as close to at-the-same-time as possible or they wouldn't link up.

bryan314
03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
After being constantly frustrated with Tivo's wireless problems I switched over to the wireless bridge solutions. Actually it's a wireless router with a client mode but the implementation is the same. Works absolutely great. Tivo's happy. My networks is happy with decent encryption. And my transfer speeds have doubled. :D

Tivo -> wired adapter -> wireless bridge -> wpa (yeah) -> wireless router -> Office computer -> Internet.