PDA

View Full Version : Color intermittent

ozbone
03-23-2006, 08:57 AM
My SA Series 2 (240-xxx) has been acting oddly for the past few days. Its our #2 Tivo so its not in constant use. Occasionally the picture will lose color - that is ALL screens - even Tivo screens. I've read about S-video and the black&white problems but I use coax. And this doesn't seem black&white so much as it seems like the colors are maybe extremely over-saturated or over-bright. What really odd is that if I re-start the Tivo the problem disappears.... and then comes back several hours later. I have double-checked all connections. Any ideas ?

dirtypacman
03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Try replacing the wire or trying a different style wire go to s-video, composite, etc.

ozbone
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
OK, over the past few weeks I've tried all sorts of wiring variables and, for a while, the problems seemed resolved. Now, its back and it doesn't look good. The net of it is that regardless of which Tivo outputs I use (coax or composite) I still get the same washed out/over saturated look; and its still an intermittent problem. Even more telling is that when I completely disconnect my cable coax signal, and am left with a Tivo "no signal"screen, the picture is still bad. To me, that seems to incriminate the Tivo's output. But again, as usual, re-starting the Tivo eliminates the problem ... at least for a while. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Its a Lifetime Tivo and much as my wife would love a new dual-tuner, I'd hate to give it up.

Puppy76
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Could be the TV too.

ozbone
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Nope not the TV.
Spoke to Tivo Tech Sprt today; went through all the variables with them and they said they had never encountered such a problem, that it would not be repairable and then offered to sell me a refurb - I guess b/c its a Lifetime - for $149. I'm trying one more wiring option - this one with S-video - I'm not too optimistic; I'm guessing that all of the Tivo's outputs are on the motherboard and what affects one output will affect ALL outputs.
Any who have taken the refub route: I'm assuming they'll want my bad unit before they ship the replacement? Any idea what model they send to replacemy 40-hr 240?

ozbone
05-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I won't go into all of the details here but let's just say that all of the s**t I've had to go through to get a replacement Tivo - at least, one that works - has been mind boggling. Tivo may have a great product - but its one seriously screwed up company. I will NOT be buying any more Tivos - that is for certain.

bobbos
05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Ozbone,
I have had a similar problem... well, still do. And I have an S-video currently connected. I have found that RCA connectors typically hold while the S-video manages to make the problem appear. It seems that they have a weakness with these connections. Glad to know I'm not alone while I'm not glad to see that no one really has a solution aside from getting a refurb which from your experience does not seem the easy way to go...