PDA

View Full Version : Very Strange Unrequested Recording

DaveHo
03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
This morning ~5:30 AM, I noticed that one TiVo box was displaying a red "recording" light, and when I turned the TV on and hit "live TV", it was on a channel I don't watch and for which I have no requested recordings. Further adding to the confusion, when I looked in the "now Playing" screen, no indication of any such recording appeared. Then I checked the second TiVo box and it was doing the same thing...same channel, same lack of requested recordings and same lack of indication in "Now Playing". Is there anyone who has seen this behavior and why is it happening?

ebf
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
This morning ~5:30 AM, I noticed that one TiVo box was displaying a red "recording" light, and when I turned the TV on and hit "live TV", it was on a channel I don't watch and for which I have no requested recordings. Further adding to the confusion, when I looked in the "now Playing" screen, no indication of any such recording appeared. Then I checked the second TiVo box and it was doing the same thing...same channel, same lack of requested recordings and same lack of indication in "Now Playing". Is there anyone who has seen this behavior and why is it happening?
It was probably recording items for the TiVo Showcase or "star" ads. i just noticed a new one for "Inside Man." Its normal.

dirtypacman
03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Normally it does this late night 2am or so... and don't worry they are not taking up any of your hard drive space.

pdhenry
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I was flipping yesterday around 6:20 AM EST on the bedroom (non-TiVo) TV, and yes, there was a TiVo Showcase program airing.

Since I usually don't get the Showcases (I pick up 3 or 4 talk shows either as SPs or as Suggestions during the overnight period on most nights - it must give preference to recording a suggestion over recording the Showcase program) it was nice to see that my TiVo actually got this one.

ronrazza
03-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I've also been getting sttange recordings that I didn't request. Some early in the AM, some during tha day while I'm at work, and this morning at 8 AM while watching something else it just swithched to BBC and began reecording. HELP!

VinceA
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Those could simply be Suggestions. TiVo will, unless you tell it not to, record things it thinks you will like based on your Thumbs ratings. It won't do this while you're actively watching live TV (you've touched the remote in the last 30 minutes), while there's no available space or while it's supposed to be recording something you actually requested.

writdenied
03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
As others have said, the most likely explanation is that is recording one of several "shows" that actually contain video and compressed data for the TiVo itself. When last I knew, the "programs" were called either "Teleword Paid Programming" or "Advanced Paid Programming" (or something along those lines), and they were on the Discovery Channel late at night or early in the morning.

The "programs" consist of several things-- video clips that are used if you click on yellow star ads in TiVo Central; data for Showcases (to the extent they exist anymore), some software patches and guide data, etc. If you watch the show as it records, you might see some fast-moving, compressed video (the yellow star content), and a lot of static.

The idea is that sending all of this information to every TiVo subscriber over the daily phone call would make phone calls too long and expensive. Instead, all TiVos are programmed to, whenever possible (i.e. if the channel is one you receive, if you don't have another recording scheduled), flip over to those programs and record them. (If you don't receive that channel, TiVo will eventually obtain the information over its phone line.) The TiVo knows that it's recording something unusual, and handles the data it records differently than it would a regular recorded show, sorting it appropraitely, applying the patches to the software, etc. That's why the program it records doesn't show up in Now Playing, the To Do List, etc.

windracer
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I have a "TELEWORLD" Wish List set up so I can occasionally scan for the Showcase airings.

ronrazza
03-23-2006, 12:29 PM
What can I do to ensure that I don't get unrequested recordings? This morning it began recording BBC News at 8 AM and switched over from the Today Show I was watching.
Also, when going back to Live TV, I always get the same channel and preview message from that channel, regardless of what channel actually comes on. It's Channel 325, a Spanish Language channel. Strange! Any thoughts out there on that one?

dirtypacman
03-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Turn off your suggestions... tivo messages/settings..

ronrazza
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Those could simply be Suggestions. TiVo will, unless you tell it not to, record things it thinks you will like based on your Thumbs ratings. It won't do this while you're actively watching live TV (you've touched the remote in the last 30 minutes), while there's no available space or while it's supposed to be recording something you actually requested.

How do I tell it not to record "Suggestions"?

ronrazza
03-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Turn off your suggestions... tivo messages/settings..

Thank you.