PDA

View Full Version : Math and Tivo...

S5th
03-19-2006, 05:27 PM
contunitaion of this topic can be done by email or private message etc...

-S5th

ZikZak
03-19-2006, 07:02 PM
It would add to the statistical noise.

S5th
03-20-2006, 07:56 AM
And what exactly is "statistical noise" in your definition?
and how would that effect a person?

dgh
03-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Too much statistical noise could cause s person to quantum tunnel through his front door.

S5th
03-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Allrighty then,

Why not teach me exactly what you guys are talking about with maybe some helpfull links?

Too much statistical noise could cause s person to quantum tunnel through his front door.

now are you saying cause (s) person

s as a referance to me? or are you trying to say causes a person to quantum tunnel?

or i guess I could look it up on the internet, but that's not allways the best course of action, it might just be best to ask the person that said it.

S5th
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
allright, you guys seem smart, let me run this by you guys...

I watch the TV show Numb3rs in SD with my dad, then watched it in HD alone in the basement and it was like how in heck did i miss 1/2 the show, and this was in the same day?

There was different commericals on in SD then in HD.

And also I saw something else on a website that was a clip from the same show and it was like how did I miss that too?

Is it that different versions of the show are playied in different places or there's a difference between SD and HD?

any guesses would be welcome :)

dgh
03-20-2006, 06:41 PM
What do you mean (I always seem to be asking you that) by missing half the show? HD versions are generally 16:9 and SD usually 4:3 - is that what you mean? Is this related to the above?

As for the commercials, I don't watch em myself but since they're showing two different streams on two different frequencies, sure, they could parcel them out to different customers.

S5th
03-21-2006, 09:49 AM
What do you mean (I always seem to be asking you that) by missing half the show?

This is more psycology then techincal.

HD versions are generally 16:9 and SD usually 4:3 - is that what you mean?

thats a small part of it.

Is this related to the above?

yes and there's more.

As for the commercials, I don't watch em myself but since they're showing two different streams on two different frequencies, sure, they could parcel them out to different customers.

True, that makes sense about two different streams, but what if they showed two different shows to two different audiences...

or

There is something that goes on in a tv show that tunes people in and out of certain concepts and ideas...

or

Dvr technology allows you to target specific programing to certain people?

or I could keep going on with theories, but i would like to hear what you have to say...

and my quote for this is ....

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"

ZikZak
03-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Dude, the Tivo is not operated by magic. It just records whatever is broadcast. Other than that, I cannot decipher what the heck you're talking about.

That different commercials are broadcast on different streams is hardly the great mystery of the universe. Advertsisers will advertise wherever they think they will get the greatest returns, and many factors will go into that decision.

Turtleboy
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm not trying to be rude, but what the hell are you talking about? (I mean the OP?).

Not just your most recent post, but your whole thread?

Huh?

dgh
03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
True, that makes sense about two different streams, but what if they showed two different shows to two different audiences...

Then two different audiences would see two different shows.

There is something that goes on in a tv show that tunes people in and out of certain concepts and ideas...

Yes, television shows in the US are marketing vehicles. The customer is the advertiser. The industry refers to television viewers as "the product". (I'm not making that up.)

Did you know that two news reporters tried to claim "whistle blower" protection from Fox when they wouldn't report their story without changes? The judge threw it out on the grounds that the US has no law requiring TV news to be true. Basically "they" can do pretty much whatever they want to procure their product (viewers) for their customers (advertisers.)

TiVo's business plan since 1998.

S5th
03-21-2006, 05:17 PM
?

dgh
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
?

;

S5th
03-21-2006, 07:47 PM
reminds me of the quote "people with capital can do whatever they want"....
My feelings on this are...
They are not above the law,
They are not above moral code,
if they think that, then I will quote the bible in saying...
"the meek will inherate the earth"
"for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction"
I could go on and on and on, like the story that never ends.....

Yes, television shows in the US are marketing vehicles. The customer is the advertiser. The industry refers to television viewers as "the product". (I'm not making that up.)

intersting how changing a few words here and there can totaly change the meaning...

dont tv shows have to be socially redeaming?
US has no law requiring TV news to be true
Isnt this a contadiction?
or is there a deeper issue... (?)
Laws are made by people, like people laws can change and vise versa

Ahhhh....
The more advanced concept is....
how does this affect me, the people I meet and then....

BTW Tivo changed my life for the good, It helps me avoid "things" like that.... :)

S5th
06-25-2006, 03:49 PM
tech. speaking people's eyes are not going to be looking at the same place at the same time, and based on life, each person is going to interpret each show differently, no 2 people being exactly the same, including twins, because they would be sitting at different angles to the TV (in a non scientific setting).

mec1991
06-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Dueling Cartmans are on my front porch at this very moment.

Get that Haldol refilled, okay?

hitbyatrain
06-26-2006, 09:55 AM
I, for one, think that all bacon should be thick cut bacon. And if it isn't, it should at least be crispy.