PDA

View Full Version : Help With Hdtv

mcdhemman
03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I just purchased an LCD television which is HD compatible. For the last few days I have had it set up withouth a set top box for the cable. I connected the cable from the wall directly to the TIVO and everything worked fine. Today I got a Motorola HDTV set top box from Comcast. When I came home from work the technician had connected the set top box directly to the TV and disconnected the TIVO. I tried to hook the TIVO up the same way my other Series 2 is setup with the yellow, red, white RCA cords from the output of the cable box to the input on the TIVO, but the TIVO will not display television. I also tried to do it with the coaxial cable and that didn't work either. The TIVO displays all prerecorded shows, but I can't get it to show live TV. Any help would be appreciated, please keep it simple and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

litzdog911
03-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Look up your HDTV cable box here ....
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128743

Standard definition Tivos cannot interface with some HiDef cable boxes.

Also, be sure that your cable box is set to output 480i standard definition video .... it's possible that those connections are "off" when the cable box is set for HiDef resolutions.

cherry ghost
03-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I just purchased an LCD television which is HD compatible. For the last few days I have had it set up withouth a set top box for the cable. I connected the cable from the wall directly to the TIVO and everything worked fine. Today I got a Motorola HDTV set top box from Comcast. When I came home from work the technician had connected the set top box directly to the TV and disconnected the TIVO. I tried to hook the TIVO up the same way my other Series 2 is setup with the yellow, red, white RCA cords from the output of the cable box to the input on the TIVO, but the TIVO will not display television. I also tried to do it with the coaxial cable and that didn't work either. The TIVO displays all prerecorded shows, but I can't get it to show live TV. Any help would be appreciated, please keep it simple and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

What kind of cable box did you have connected to this Tivo prior to this?

mcdhemman
03-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I didn't have a cable box connected before. I just used the cable directly out of the wall prior to getting the HDTV Box. The new box is a Motorola DCT6200.

gastrof
03-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I didn't have a cable box connected before. I just used the cable directly out of the wall prior to getting the HDTV Box. The new box is a Motorola DCT6200.

Worst case scenario-

If your TV has more than one set of Audio/Video inputs, you can split your cable before the cable box, and feed one cable directly into the TiVo, and send the other into the cable box.

Send one set of A/V lines from the TiVo into one set of inputs on the TV, and send the cable box's A/V feed into another set of inputs on the TV.

This will let you watch everything on the cable box, and the TiVo will be able to record everything it could before.

You can switch the TV's selector from one set of inputs to the other to go back and forth from the TiVo to the cable box.

As for you saying what type of cable box you have, is it listed on the page at the link given to you in an earlier reply?

cherry ghost
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM

You have to rerun guided setup and let the Tivo know you are now using a cable box.

mcdhemman
03-16-2006, 07:28 PM
I already repeated guided set up and let it know I have a cable box. It made it to the point where it asked if I could see a picture and there was no picture. I tried to change the channel using the IR blaster and also directly on the cable box, but I never got a picture.

I currently have the TIVO hooked up to one set of inputs and the cable box to another which works, but my wife tends to leave it on the input where the cable box runs and then forgets to change it back to the TIVO. Now when the phone rings and we go to pause TV we remember we're not on the TIVO input!!!

I tried to read about my particular box in the sticky note, but I don't understand what it is saying and I can't figure out how to hook it up.

There has got to be a better way then how I have it set up now. Please help.

cherry ghost
03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
If your Tivo is working without a cable box then it can't think that there should be a cable box. Do a reboot and if that doesn't work, rerun guided setup again.

JoeyImage
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Also, be sure that your cable box is set to output 480i standard definition video

Wouldn't this eliminate the ability to view channels in HD, or would the output have to be changed to 1080 every time you wanna watch an HD channel? Why have an HD box/TV if you're just gonna watch SD?

gastrof
03-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Wouldn't this eliminate the ability to view channels in HD...

Naturally, since a series 1 or series 2 TiVo is a Standard Definition television device, and it can't record or produce HD.

would the output have to be changed to 1080 every time you wanna watch an HD channel?

No, because the TiVo would still be standing between the cable box and the TV, and the TiVo can't work with HD.

Why have an HD box/TV if you're just gonna watch SD?

So that you can at least view and record the HD channels that wouldn't be available thru another type of cable box. It may be downconverted to SD, but it's the same channels.

If you want to have both TiVo and digital cable channels, working together, this is the only way to do it. Downconvert.

Later this year there'll be a Series 3 TiVo that'll be able to deal with HD.

gastrof
03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
I already repeated guided set up and let it know I have a cable box. It made it to the point where it asked if I could see a picture and there was no picture. I tried to change the channel using the IR blaster and also directly on the cable box, but I never got a picture.

I currently have the TIVO hooked up to one set of inputs and the cable box to another which works, but my wife tends to leave it on the input where the cable box runs and then forgets to change it back to the TIVO. Now when the phone rings and we go to pause TV we remember we're not on the TIVO input!!!

I tried to read about my particular box in the sticky note, but I don't understand what it is saying and I can't figure out how to hook it up.

There has got to be a better way then how I have it set up now. Please help.

I'm a little lost on what you're saying here.

Are you saying that you have the TiVo set to work with a cable box, but currently have the cable box feeding directly into the TV?

The TiVo needs to know what kind of cable feed IT is working with. Not just the fact you have a cable box.

Here's what you do...

Tell us what type of connection you can set up between the cable box and the TiVo...

A/V...right?

Reconnect the cable box to feed directly into the TiVo again.

Set the TiVo for that type of cable box and to receive thru A/V input.

Go to the end of setup with things set up this way.

Did you do all of this the first time?

EDIT
By the way...what part of the info about your cable box didn't you understand? I know that's an odd way to put the question, but it's the best I can do right now. :o

JoeyImage
03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
If you want to have both TiVo and digital cable channels, working together, this is the only way to do it.

It can be done with 2 cable boxes as well. I finally got mine all up and running perfectly.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=292078

Took me a long time to figure it all out, but I got it :)

gastrof
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
It can be done with 2 cable boxes as well...

I think the part about "TiVo and digital cable channels, working together" in my reply is pretty plainly talking about using just one cable box, as in existing equipment.

Adding another box is "a whole 'nother thing".

JoeyImage
03-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I think the part about "TiVo and digital cable channels, working together" in my reply is pretty plainly talking about using just one cable box, as in existing equipment.

Adding another box is "a whole 'nother thing".

No reason for your crap attitude. The sentence was "If you want to have both TiVo and digital cable channels, working together, this is the only way to do it." I have Tivo and digital channels working together, did not do it "the only way to do it" that you described, and nowhere in there did you say how many cable boxes it can be done with. I use two, it works perfectly. Again, please drop your attitude, thanks. And, both of my cables boxes were already existing equipment.