PDA

View Full Version : Setting up TiVo and Comcast cable box - please help!

tallulahphilange
03-14-2006, 12:06 PM
The guys who installed our digital cable last night - clearly high. They couldn't help me set up TiVo with a digital cable box. (We're frankly shocked they didn't fall off the ladder.)

Anyway, there is a diagram on TiVo's site, but it's showing the cable from the splitter going into the RF input. While my digital box has that, it also has a cable input that seems to need to be connected to something, aka not just the RF. On TiVo's "Watch One Channel, Record Another (w/Cable Box and VCR) the diagram does not show a cable input on the picture of the cable box.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a genius when it comes to these things. Is there a diagram out there or somebody with advice on how to connect a new Comcast box with TiVo (and DVD player, though that's not necessary.)

Thanks!

cherry ghost
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Is this the diagram you're using?

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2069.htm?

Which Comast box do you have?

tallulahphilange
03-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes that's the diagram. I have a Motorola DCT 2000.

Any advice or help you have to offer is much appreciated.

cherry ghost
03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
The guys who installed our digital cable last night - clearly high. They couldn't help me set up TiVo with a digital cable box. (We're frankly shocked they didn't fall off the ladder.)

Anyway, there is a diagram on TiVo's site, but it's showing the cable from the splitter going into the RF input. While my digital box has that, it also has a cable input that seems to need to be connected to something, aka not just the RF. On TiVo's "Watch One Channel, Record Another (w/Cable Box and VCR) the diagram does not show a cable input on the picture of the cable box.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a genius when it comes to these things. Is there a diagram out there or somebody with advice on how to connect a new Comcast box with TiVo (and DVD player, though that's not necessary.)

Thanks!

Are you using a VCR or a DVD player?

I can't find a rear view image of the DCT2000, so I'm not sure what the other input looks like. For now, I would just ignore it and use the RF. Use composite cables to connect the box to the Tivo. When you run the guided setup, you have to tell the Tivo how it is connected to the cable box. Don't forget that you'll have to run an IR blaster from the Tivo to the cable box so the Tivo can tell the box what channel it is changing to.

dgh
03-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I did a little browsing and it looks like this has a somewhat unusual set of connections. You may want to use cable in or RF in depending on how you want to set everything up. (looks like it has its own rf/splitter/passthrough switch.)

If found a manual for the box here:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/DCT2000/downloads/DCT2000_Installation_Manual.pdf

which shows various options.

tallulahphilange
03-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I did a little browsing and it looks like this has a somewhat unusual set of connections. You may want to use cable in or RF in depending on how you want to set everything up. (looks like it has its own rf/splitter/passthrough switch.)

Ok sorry to sound thick (told you I wasn't a genius at this) but how exactly are you suggesting to connect the box to TiVo?

Last night I tried leave the TV connected to cable box and connecting the box and TiVo through 1 the of the RF Ins on the box and the RF In on TiVo. That didn't work, so I tried RF In to RF Out. That didn't work.

If it makes a difference, my TV is a combo VCR one. So I'm trying also to set up a DVD player, but like I said, that's not completely necessary.

And thanks for posting the rear view pictures - the forum won't let me post URLs yet.

cherry ghost
03-14-2006, 02:52 PM
If you're going to use composite from the box to the Tivo, you need to plug the cable into the "cable in". The "to RF in" should already be connected to the "RF in" when they give you the box. If it's not, your cable company messed up. However, it only would matter if you plan on running RF from the box to the Tivo.

dgh
03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok sorry to sound thick (told you I wasn't a genius at this) but how exactly are you suggesting to connect the box to TiVo?

I wasn't really. Since I don't have a box like that, I was suggesting looking at the options in the manual and seeing which one seemed most suitable based on what you had and how you wanted to use it.

snow002
04-19-2006, 02:30 AM
i have a motorola 2224 digital cable box that the display shows "hunt". i reset the box but no luck. can someone help me or ref. me some where.

thank you
snow002