PDA

View Full Version : Must you sign-up for TiVo Plus to use the Network Connection for the Daily Call?

Heckler
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
This is for my folks (I've got DTiVos) and they recently switched to Vonage. Their Toshiba DVD/TiVo won't successfully do the daily call (it'll do the test connection fine, but gets stuck in the downloading phase nearly all the time). I've already walked them through them using the NYC/NJ dial-up number/settings and commas but that's only working sporadically... They've got a cable modem and router and I don't know if the note I found (quoted below) would get it to work without signing-up for TiVo Plus (which they don't need/want since they really only use it as a DVD player and digital VCR)?:

"The code for making it dial out over the network instead of the phone line is (,#401). the code starts with the coma and ends with 1. Just put the code into the dialing prefix and it will call over the network and be ALLOT faster then Vonage."

TIA!,
Heckler

stevel
03-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Why are they using the phone line at all? My understanding was that the TiVo Basic didn't need a phone connection.

mick66
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Why are they using the phone line at all? My understanding was that the TiVo Basic didn't need a phone connection.

How else does it get guide data?

There is no reason to believe that having only TiVo Basic should make any difference in regards to using a network adapter.

stevel
03-13-2006, 07:09 PM
It uses the TV Guide information that comes over a local channel.

funtoupgrade
03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Using the ",401" dialing prefix will work on a Toshiba with TiVo basic to use internet.

Whittaker
03-14-2006, 11:56 PM
It’s the first you’ve heard of it, because it’s not true.

TiVo Basic calls in every day just like subscription TiVo does, except it only gets three days of the schedule instead of two weeks. Well, actually, it GETS a lot more than three days worth of the schedule, but it only DISPLAYS three days at a time.

stevel
03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Strange - I had always understood that TiVo Basic units didn't use the phone line.

classicsat
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
TiVo Basic units get their guide data the same way as subbed units to.
By phone or network, and yes, unsubbed Basic units can use the network for their call.

Stevel:
You might be confusing the free TiVo Basic with what some non-TiVo DVD recorders do, which is get the Gemstar data transmitted on some broadcast channels.

stevel
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I know about the non-TiVos. I was sure that the Basic boxes didn't require a phone. But upon research, I see that isn't true. Oh well, won't be the first time I made a mistake. Sorry for the misinformation.