PDA

View Full Version : Surface 1/30/2006 (S01E14) "Episode 14"

dswallow
01-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I did not expect a Tsunami.

Now I'm really annoyed there's just one episode left in the season. It's been moving at a really fast pace recently.

bentleyml
01-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I really enjoyed this episode.

JETarpon
01-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Anybody else notice that when Savannah said "Hey Buttwipe" to her boyfriend that her lips said "Hey A****le"?

Test
01-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Anybody else notice that when Savannah said "Hey Buttwipe" to her boyfriend that her lips said "Hey A****le"?

yea whats up with that?

unrated dvd version?

ScottE22
01-30-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm so confused... Is next week the season finale, or the series finale? If "Everything. Will be. Revealed." Then what is there left for another season?

JYoung
01-30-2006, 11:56 PM
So it's Super Miles to the rescue.

atrac
01-31-2006, 12:23 AM

Yep, saw that too! The whole scene actually reminded me of the first "Spider-man" movie.

The fight in the parking lot was rather brutal.

Next week: "Deep Impact!" ;)

kbohip
01-31-2006, 01:48 AM

Yea, I had to replay it to see what she said but that's what it looked like to me. Kind of strange for a network show for them to have said something like that anyway.

This show is crazy! They keep doing things I don't expect at all, like a tsunami. After next weeks "finale", does anyone know when the show will start up again. I'm definitely going to miss it.

RGM1138
01-31-2006, 02:30 AM
So . . .

That's the crux of this whole thing, a genetics experiment gone awry?

Did the whales/sea creatures cause the earthquake?

And, why is Rich such a dim bulb?

I can't wait to see how they tie all of this together. :)

Bob

ifyoubelieve
01-31-2006, 06:17 AM
The tsunami is going to wipe out all land living beings and every known species will now be able to breath underwater. Glad when it's over---so many dumb scenes==like why didn't Savanah grab a tire rod and knock that sucker out!!!!!!!

Amnesia
01-31-2006, 07:56 AM
After next weeks "finale", does anyone know when the show will start up again. Next week is the season finale. We'll have to wait until the upfronts in May to see if it's getting picked up for season 2.

Bierboy
01-31-2006, 08:34 AM
At least now they're actually calling it the season finale.

I actually didn't care much for this ep. Rich was way over the top with his reactions, and Lee didn't react at all -- even for finally realizing "who" he really is. I dunno...just seemed a bit off until the last 20 minutes or so. Still a great show, though. But I could use more "pool" parties; I miss those ;).

Amnesia
01-31-2006, 09:35 AM
I was at least glad to see that Rich finally made it to the same state as Miles...this is the closest they've gotten since the chatroom back in episode 2 or 3...

But I thought that angry mob scene at Miles's house was a bit much.

OK, the father of the kid, fine. Maybe one or two others. But there were...what? a couple of dozen people in the mob? Just how did all those people get together and decide to storm his house?

And why didn't the police protect Miles? They should have stationed a deputy on each of the doors with a shotgun...

BrandonSi
01-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Next week is the season finale. We'll have to wait until the upfronts in May to see if it's getting picked up for season 2.

My girlfriend supervises media buyers in various markets, and she's telling me it's not looking good. Personally I hope it comes back, but the ratings are not spectacular.

Magister
01-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Why were Rich and Miles looked upon as bad when they responded to violence with violence? Rich should have killed Lee. Or at least taken him with them. Don't freaking announce to the leaders of the bad guys where you are going, then go... UGH...

Seems like this show says it is alright to be violent if you start it, but respond to defend to remove the threat, and you are a bad person.

WTF didn't Lake help Rich when he was fighting with Lee? The bimbo was practically hesterical...

Still, love the show. And now they say Season Finale instead of Series.

Totally surprised with the Clone angle.

And I will say again, I wish we had more shows that could run an entire season to show the whole story (kinda like 24, but dont' like it). This show was able to give us so much in the story arc.

borther
02-01-2006, 12:47 AM
A hysterical woman standing and watching while her male friend/protector is struggling for their lives is such an old cliche. Next week she'll be running from the water in high heals and he will have to go back to pick her up.

KRS
02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
This was a pretty good episode. When Richard snuck into that warehouse and you saw the shot of all the cryogenic capsules, it was like something out of the Stepford Wives or Minority Report or one of a dozen other movies. So if they have a sort of Noah's Ark going on there, what does that have to do with the clones? Were they suggesting that that company has cloned all those animals?

Interesting that Richard said Lee didn't even have a soul, but then he showed compassion for Daugherty by letting her go free. I wonder if he will start to go to the good side to try to convince himself that he isn't soulless.

I am concerned that the tsunami will be their half assed wrap up in case there is no second season. I don't want another Carnivale, where there is a little closure, but not enough to really conclude all the build up. Lee suggested that "Kessel" had set some bad things in motion (or something like that). I certainly hope the show doesn't just finish with a global disaster and not reveal what the master plan behind the clones and genetic engineering was all about.

gastrof
02-01-2006, 09:43 AM
So it's Super Miles to the rescue.

I'm just waiting for gill flaps to open in his neck. :rolleyes:

gastrof
02-01-2006, 09:48 AM
This was a pretty good episode. When Richard snuck into that warehouse and you saw the shot of all the cryogenic capsules, it was like something out of the Stepford Wives or Minority Report or one of a dozen other movies. So if they have a sort of Noah's Ark going on there, what does that have to do with the clones? Were they suggesting that that company has cloned all those animals?

More like they've stored DNA samples from every living thing on earth so's to recreate them if need be...

Or use their genetic material to splice with other samples to create new forms of life.

I suspect "someone" knew the geological problem was building, and that one day soon existing forms of life might be wiped out, and new forms would be needed for Earth to remain a living world. (Like green lizard things that can live in lava?)

...Lee suggested that "Kessel" had set some bad things in motion (or something like that)....

"Kessler", I believe.

Magister
02-01-2006, 11:16 AM
"Kessler", I believe.
Right, Kessel was the guy that found a new Smuggling route...

KRS
02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I suspect "someone" knew the geological problem was building, and that one day soon existing forms of life might be wiped out, and new forms would be needed for Earth to remain a living world. (Like green lizard things that can live in lava?)

Well then, I sure hope that giant warehouse can float! :)

Graymalkin
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
If we're wiping out all land species, shouldn't some guy named Jorge L. be building a spacecraft to send his infant son to another planet? ;)

stark
02-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I must have missed something. When they showed the movie last week, I assumed that the man we saw was Lee and they had a way to prevent aging.

Where did "He's a clone!" come from?

myriadian
02-01-2006, 02:21 PM
i'm so confused what people don't understand about this show, and i'm not even sure i like the show, though i watch each ep.

'Lee as clone' comes up because a guy that looks exactly like Lee is in the old film of Kesslers expedition. After they kidnapped Lee (which is SO impossible, kidnapped from an FBI parking garage? i don't think so.) and he was getting beaten on they kept asking him a string of questions. When Lee didn't profess to remember being on a mountain in some 3rd world country yet is still as young as the guy in the film, then 'he's a clone' comes up, since he probably wasn't memory wiped and cyrogenically frozen or zapped by Morgan LeFey thru time and space.

'Kessler would be 110', or whatever, was interesting because that did kind of suggest it was the original Kessler so there was some rejuvination technology. They didn't hint that the gardner Kessler was a clone.

'geological problems were building'. this doesn't make any sense to me. it seems clear from the shots that the creatures directly caused the earthquake by tunneling down into the fault. now why the creatures seem to love lava or would know to dig continuously at that particular fault, who knows.

'cryogenically frozen samples' i think this could go either way, as material for after some huge disaster or simply to show that Kessler has a sample of everything to work with in order to have created the creatures.

'flower in the old film footage' why has no one said 'OMG! that's an alien thing in that film!! and it looks like the thing we had in the water container in the refrigerator!! we had an alien!'

'miles changing into psuedo-Nim' wtf? i wonder if Kessler knows his pets can bioform humans? I suppose he would at least since the dead head researchers assistant was blasted with creature goo from a few episodes ago, if not before that.

'the lights falling out of the sky and into the ocean from episode 3 or something' what was that? no one ever explained that.

'miles' a huge wtf. he seems completely pointless to me.

'rich' huge dumby. you know he'd have been disposed of a loooooooong time ago if it weren't for his 'Michigan Militia'-type behaviour that's been dragging Daltry along.

'Lee's clone's soul' who cares? what's a soul? i doubt that's what they should be worrying about instead of the actual facts, that they kidnapped an FBI dude. soul or no, they are so going down.

yeah, i'm really not sure i like this show. i much preferred 'point pleasant', satans daughter was a hotty and was clearly coming into her daddies powers and going to f things up. :)

M.

Bierboy
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
If we're wiping out all land species, shouldn't some guy named Jorge L. be building a spacecraft to send his infant son to another planet? ;)I believe it was Jor-el (I read a LOT of Superman comic books as a kid). :)

Graymalkin
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I believe it was Jor-el (I read a LOT of Superman comic books as a kid). :)

I guess my joke was too obscure. I made up "Jorge L." (as of "Jorge L. Wannamaker") to be Earth's equivalent of "Jor-El." It was a pun. I'm sorry it zoomed over everybody's head.

No more jokes from me, ever.

OK, maybe not for the next 5 minutes.

KRS
02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
And what about the guy Rich saw out of the sub's window when they were stranded on the ocean floor? Was that a mere hallucination?

Bierboy
02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I guess my joke was too obscure. I made up "Jorge L." (as of "Jorge L. Wannamaker") to be Earth's equivalent of "Jor-El." It was a pun. I'm sorry it zoomed over everybody's head.

No more jokes from me, ever.

OK, maybe not for the next 5 minutes.Well, look at the sig under my avatar....obviously it went over my head!

Jeeters
02-01-2006, 03:41 PM
From http://www.youngstarnews.com/ysn/tvpages/fathom.htm

Update January 27, 2006: What's the future of "Surface?"

In October of '05 we reported that the show had received a full season order, but lately fans of the show have noticed that it's counting down to the final episode with this coming Monday's show on January 30, the 14th episode, being one of the final two. At that time it was also reported that "The total number of episodes ordered for the show's first season is still being determined, in part because NBC will pre-empt much of its primetime schedule in February for coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Turino, Italy, slated to run February 10-26."

Well, here's the scoop from NBC: Despite fears that "Surface's" February 6 installment is being billed as the "finale," the show remains under consideration for the 2006-07 season. That being said, the season finale "will provide a sort of semi-closure."

Kevin Reilly from NBC also said at the TCA Winter Press Tour, "We got a -- well, the reaction is that the show has done a pretty good job over on Monday. I think it's creative. It's got a very loyal audience. I think, in relation to -- a number of genre shows came out. I actually think that this one has fared the best on its own, having to self-start at 8 o'clock. So we'll reassess in May, and we'll look at the rest of the product, but no decision is made right now one way or the other."

So the best we can say for now is that the 15th episode on February 6 is indeed the Season 1 finale, and the network considers the show to be in contention for renewal for the 2006-07 schedule.

IndyJones1023
02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Man, they are just throwing as much ***** on the wall as possible. The creatures have sooooo many abilities. Miles is turning into something. There's a tsunami. Lee is a clone. What's up with the flower? Why isn't Savannah in more bikinis?

dswallow
02-01-2006, 05:08 PM
There's gonna be something common, though.

(without much thought, just off the top of my head), the flower they found at the apparent meteorite crater led to some discoveries that aided in DNA research including cloning and modification of DNA. In the process of the application of this they experimented with DNA from long-dead species. And then later discovered the DNA modifications that were made were "contagious" and crosses species. With this discovery they began "archiving" current unmodified species so that they'll possibly be able to recover from what they've done. One of the species they brought back is attracted to heat sources and as they've multiplied have collapsed a major trench along a fault line leading to the tsunami.

Kinda keeps to a single thread that can be used to support a lot if not all of what we've seen, right?